Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a Moultrie 6V PowerPanel work w/ Primos Truth Cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet the batt in that panel is small, being for a 6v feeder moter it doesn't need a lot of amps to turn a motor that small

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
      Nope, not as drastic. Dropped from 6.01 down to 5.77. Wish we were closer, we could try swapping cameras, and panels? Only other thing I can think of would be go get a camera from Academy or where ever and see if it does the same thing?
      Oh, and at 5.77, the display on cam showed 99%.
      Yep...there in-lies the rub! I just wonder WHY it is dropping that much?

I will go to Academy and check another cam before I throw in the towel.

Comment

Originally posted by rascalarms View Post
        Yep...there in-lies the rub! I just wonder WHY it is dropping that much?

I will go to Academy and check another cam before I throw in the towel.
        Not enough Amps to run the cam. Its basically like putting a battery for a motorcycle on a big truck and hoping for the same results when you turn the key.
        Only other thing I can think of is that the battery in the solar panel is bad, sometime batteries will show correct voltage until put under a load.

Comment

Man I'd just take it back and get a real solar panel and real battery. That fancy gadget isn't worth all the problems....

Comment

Originally posted by SmDigs7207089
            Man I'd just take it back and get a real solar panel and real battery. That fancy gadget isn't worth all the problems....
            That's exactly what I plan on doing once I can confirm and rule out the cam's external port isn't the issue.

This new 35 is my 4th cam. I'm running 2 35s and a Blackout in the field right now. 1 of the 35s is older (prob 5yrs) and is the only one I'm having issues with.

The newer 35s seem to do a lot better in terms of battery life. Just thought this would be a easy cheap fix for the older one. Plus, the fact it is self contained was the cool part.

I still find it hard to believe a shutter on a camera would draw more amps than a 6v feeder motor.

Comment

I still find it hard to believe a shutter on a camera would draw more amps than a 6v feeder motor.
              That is pretty hard to believe. Wish you had access to another M plug so you could get a 6 volt battery. If you have a radio shack near you they sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                That is pretty hard to believe. Wish you had access to another M plug so you could get a 6 volt battery. If you have a radio shack near you they sell them.
                Smart, I went to Radio Shack this week and compared the plug on the PowerPanel to the M plug there...it's the same plug. Remember too, we were getting 6 volts via the voltmeter inside the camera (pic 2) so stands to reason the plug is getting a connection.
                I guess its the amperage...unless there is something else wrong w/ the cam?

Comment

Smart, I went to Radio Shack this week and compared the plug on the PowerPanel to the M plug there...it's the same plug. Remember too, we were getting 6 volts via the voltmeter inside the camera (pic 2) so stands to reason the plug is getting a connection.
                  I guess its the amperage...unless there is something else wrong w/ the cam?
                  I could have told you the Moultrie panel plug was an M.... all current Moultries connections are M's. I'd be more concerned confirming the Primos receives an M for sure. I'm wondering if it is slightly different and will make a connection and then fallout when it has a load on it... could it be a L or N connection?.. I've seen where all three types have said to work. Who knows?.

I'm gonna ask a few folks and see if I can get a confirmation on the Primos plug. I'll let you know what I find out.

Comment

Rascal...just got it confirmed from a buddy that built some leads for his Primos, that the M series plug works in the Primos 35.

So....you can remove that variable. Sounds like its down to amps, bad battery or bad camera.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter004 View Post
                      Not enough Amps to run the cam. Its basically like putting a battery for a motorcycle on a big truck and hoping for the same results when you turn the key.
                      Only other thing I can think of is that the battery in the solar panel is bad, sometime batteries will show correct voltage until put under a load.
                      I've read through this last page now... Given your fine when setting, then your bad under a load I agree with the bold part of this reply.

I had some battery feeders that I just couldn't figure out... They would test dead on or above but when they tried to spin the feeder with corn it would be hella sluggish... Someone here told me to test the batteries under a load and sure enough they were way low. Come to find out that a dying battery will test fine just setting there but will fail when it's put to use. Sounds like what you have here.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Rascal...just got it confirmed from a buddy that built some leads for his Primos, that the M series plug works in the Primos 35.

So....you can remove that variable. Sounds like its down to amps, bad battery or bad camera.....
                        10-4! Thanks for the help guys.

I'm gonna try to get another cam and confirm the same issue exists. If it does I will just do a solar panel set up tgil style. I have several 6 volt rechargeable batteries already...just go buy a M plug and solar panel and be done w/ it.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                          I've read through this last page now... Given your fine when setting, then your bad under a load I agree with the bold part of this reply.

I had some battery feeders that I just couldn't figure out... They would test dead on or above but when they tried to spin the feeder with corn it would be hella sluggish... Someone here told me to test the batteries under a load and sure enough they were way low. Come to find out that a dying battery will test fine just setting there but will fail when it's put to use. Sounds like what you have here.
                          Wow...ok Coach thanks! Another variable???

I bought the powerpanel at Native Outdoors and know the guys there well. I will take my cam up there soon and have them open another package and test. Who knows, may be that simple.

This actually makes more sense to me...I'm still holding on to the bad battery theory b/c I don't see how on earth the load amperage could drop so bad just turning the cam on.

Additionally, why wouldn't the cam still at least "come on" and power up? You wouldn't think that the cam just powering up would put that much of a load on battery? Seems the biggest draw on the battery would be when the cam actually takes a pic and the shutter is activated. Idk?
                          Last edited by RascalArms; 07-04-2013, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Ok just downloaded the manual...

"The 6-volt Feeder PowerPanel is a solar-charged power source that can greatly extend the battery life of your Moultrie Feeder or can even run your feeder with no internal batteries! Unlike a traditional solar panel, the PowerPanel can internally retain a solar charge so that it can continue to provide power through the night or on cloudy days."

The wording here leads me to believe the internal battery is just to be used as a back up if your main feeder battery fails... Just through the night or on cloudy days, when the solar charger can't charge your main battery the internal battery can...

"SELECT SUNNY LOCATION FOR MOUNTING - The more exposure the PowerPanel has to direct sunlight, the longer it will extend your feeder’s battery life."

Wording here says the same thing... You need to continue to use an external battery with it.

"Use in conjunction with your Feeder's rechargeable battery source, or as the sole power source"

The bolded part will give you long lasting effects while the stuff after the "or" is just a fail safe in case something happens.

Consider this panel as a hybrid... It is a solar panel.... And you need to use it with an external battery... The internal battery of the panel will just "get you by" for a little bit... It's just a solar panel on steroids... It has a battery backup, but needs a main battery to run correctly.

This could also explain the price tag

Throw in an external sealed battery into the equation and I bet it runs like a top for years to come.

Comment

10-4! Thanks for the help guys.

I'm gonna try to get another cam and confirm the same issue exists. If it does I will just do a solar panel set up tgil style. I have several 6 volt rechargeable batteries already...just go buy a M plug and solar panel and be done w/ it.
                              That what I did. Academy had some nice panels for $19.99... WGI or Adrenaline brand. I'd stay away from the flat Moultrie with no mount they sell. Buddy's didnt last but a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                                Ok just downloaded the manual...

"The 6-volt Feeder PowerPanel is a solar-charged power source that can greatly extend the battery life of your Moultrie Feeder or can even run your feeder with no internal batteries! Unlike a traditional solar panel, the PowerPanel can internally retain a solar charge so that it can continue to provide power through the night or on cloudy days."

The wording here leads me to believe the internal battery is just to be used as a back up if your main feeder battery fails... Just through the night or on cloudy days, when the solar charger can't charge your main battery the internal battery can...

"SELECT SUNNY LOCATION FOR MOUNTING - The more exposure the PowerPanel has to direct sunlight, the longer it will extend your feeder’s battery life."

Wording here says the same thing... You need to continue to use an external battery with it.

"Use in conjunction with your Feeder's rechargeable battery source, or as the sole power source"

The bolded part will give you long lasting effects while the stuff after the "or" is just a fail safe in case something happens.

Consider this panel as a hybrid... It is a solar panel.... And you need to use it with an external battery... The internal battery of the panel will just "get you by" for a little bit... It's just a solar panel on steroids... It has a battery backup, but needs a main battery to run correctly.

This could also explain the price tag

Throw in an external sealed battery into the equation and I bet it runs like a top for years to come.
                                I assumed the "sole power source" meant just that??

Also, how would I rig an external sealed battery (I have plenty) when I am already using the plug of the powerpanel in the external power port of the cam?
                                Remember, the powerpanel is sealed and I can't take a chance on splicing the wires...assume it would short out.

Comment

Working...
                                X