Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a Moultrie 6V PowerPanel work w/ Primos Truth Cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a Moultrie 6V PowerPanel work w/ Primos Truth Cam?

NEED HELP TBH'ers?

Moultrie just came out with this new 6V INTERNAL BATTERY solar powered Power Panel. They list it as a "FEEDER POWERPANEL". It has a built in battery and solar power panel...OK, it obviously is suppose to be used on Moultrie feeder systems but the plug adapter fits the Primos Truth Cam's (35) external power port "perfectly"!!!

As we all know most Moultrie cams are 12v but Primos are 6v!

The manual says can be used to charge the "feeders" internal rechargeable 6V battery OR AS A SOLE SOURCE OF POWER! The darn thing even has a little battery power indicator...

I'm not about to call Moultrie OR Primos CS and ask either of them....don't need that beatdown

Help me out guys...looks promising?
    Attached Files

Most Moultries SAY 12 volt at the plug because they want to to buy that overpriced Moultrie 12 volt panel system but my M-80XT cameras run off a 6 volt battery and panel I made.

If the Primos has a size M plug it will work...if it does not it won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Most Moultries SAY 12 volt at the plug because they want to to buy that overpriced Moultrie 12 volt panel system but my M-80XT cameras run off a 6 volt battery and panel I made.

If the Primos has a size M plug it will work...if it does not it won't.
      The plug fits into the Primos external port perfectly (I did have to remove the little rubber housing)

Comment

So you already bought it? Fire it up. It won't hurt it at 6 volts..

Comment

So you already bought it? Fire it up. It wont hurt it at 6 volt..
          Thanks Smart...ok stupid question....fire it up WITH internal D batteries or NOT? If WITH do they need to be "rechargeables" or reg?

Comment

Ok.. I was under the impression that the actual battery was built into that solar panel system like their 12V is. Is that not the case?

Comment

I do have to have alkaline batteries in my M80XTs for the external battery system to work. I guess they require me to have a backup in case the external fails or goes dead. I actually built my own harness and bought the panel and battery separate. It was cheaper than the Moultrie deal.

Not sure about the Primos
              Last edited by Smart; 06-29-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Ok.. I was under the impression that the actual battery was built into that solar panel system like their 12V is. Is that not the case?
                You are correct the battery is built into the solar panel so no need to put D bat inside cam...for backup or will that hurt the system?

Comment

I do have to have alkaline batteries in my M80XTs for the external battery system to work. I guess they require me to have a backup in case the external fails or goes dead.

Not sure about the Primos
                  Got it...I can still include alkalines just don't want to take a chance on "frying" the cam.

Comment

Originally posted by rascalarms View Post
                    You are correct the battery is built into the solar panel so no need to put D bat inside cam...for backup or will that hurt the system?
                    The camera will tell you. Try it without them at the house and then try it with them. It wont to hurt to test it. It either will or it won't. It will have an override for the external.

Comment

Sounds good...will check and post results. Thx!

Comment

The camera will tell you. Try it without them at the house and then try it with them. It wont to hurt to test it. It either will or it won't. It will have an override for the external.
                        Ok, now I'm a little confused? I plugged the new 6v "feeder" battery solar panel into my Primos Truth cam and it won't power on?

2 things?
                        1-Does it require the D cell batteries be in the camera to work?

2-I'm wondering if the internal battery didn't come already "charged"? The package didn't include any instruction material that mentions having to charge it?? It has 3 little lights on it showing battery strength level indicator...they are ALL 3 RED and have been since I pulled it from package.

I have left it outside to gain maximum exposure to the sun yesterday and again today. The lights are all still bright RED! see pic

To me it would stand to reason that they would turn GREEN to represent GOOD? Idk b/c again the **** instructions don't make any mention of the battery indicator???

Only other scenario I can think of is the plug not actually making a good enough connection to the cam's external port? It sure seems snug to me.
                        Attached Files

Comment

No real idea but I'm betting the plug is the culprit.

I'd try them with the D batteries before I did anything else. Like I said earlier, my external won't work without the alkalines in it.
                          Last edited by Smart; 06-30-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Do you have a multimeter to check battery voltage?

Comment

No real idea but I'm betting the plug is the culprit.

I'd try them with the D batteries before I did anything else. Like I said earlier, my external won't work without the alkalines in it.
                              The only problem I see with that is how will I know if the external system is working or the cam is just working off the reg alkalines?

I may also take the thing to Radio Shack and look at the M connectors to see if it is the correct plug.

Comment

Working...
                              X