Inferior genetics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justin156bc View Post
    He gets a carbon injection on my ranch. If all other yearlings can put on 4-6 points why couldnt he under the same conditions. We might see a 1.5 yr old spike every 3-4 years. Just my .02
    Unless you know that he was born at the same time as the others you really can't make this decision. What if your 4 points were born from the first rut and this one was from the 3rd rut. He is 3 months younger then the others and may easily be the best in 3 years.

-john

Comment

Give him his walking papers and move on...

Comment

SFA did a study, can't remember where I read the report online. But they studied spikes and found that spikes in their first full year are just as likely to develop into a mature "trophy" as deer the same age with 4, 6, or 8 points.

I agree, a spike that young could be nice in 4 years. I'd give him another year at least.

Comment

free pass

Comment

free pass until 3.5, if nothing then, thwack!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
              Unless you know that he was born at the same time as the others you really can't make this decision. What if your 4 points were born from the first rut and this one was from the 3rd rut. He is 3 months younger then the others and may easily be the best in 3 years.

-john
              True!!! We do not shott any deer under 3.5. If hes still a spike or something trashy at 3.5 he get's stuck.

Comment

he's 1.5 . . . . he'd walk if it were my decision

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I still have trouble aging deer. This is a new lease for me this year and I want to be able to get rid of deer that will not produce a "good rack". I guess my biggest problem is that maybe the ranch next to me might take him out since all the ranches in the area are low fence.

Comment

He would die on my place, we kill ALL spikes regardless of age. How is your deer density and buck to doe ratio? If it is out of whack, I would kill him and not think twice about it.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post

-john
                      This

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
                        He would die on my place, we kill ALL spikes regardless of age. How is your deer density and buck to doe ratio? If it is out of whack, I would kill him and not think twice about it.
                        I live in El Paso so my trips down to South Texas are two or three times during hunting season (holiday trips only). As far as buck to doe ratio and deer density I have no idea. Again this is a new lease for me this year. Just trying to get a majority of whether to let him walk or take him out.

Comment

Hes to young to tell, let him walk

Comment

he walks on my place. no deer is shot until 3

unless your are my lovely cousin and lie about your deer. (he got his walking papers too) lol

Comment

Originally posted by justin156bc View Post
                              He gets a carbon injection on my ranch. If all other yearlings can put on 4-6 points why couldnt he under the same conditions. We might see a 1.5 yr old spike every 3-4 years. Just my .02
                              X2. He should fork by 1.5. That's why the state put the tag for spikes on the license.

I'm a firm believer that taking 1.5-2.5 yo spikes is key to producing a better statewide deer heard.

It's simply select genetics in reverse if we don't. Narrower, taller, inferior genetics will increase in years to come if we don't take deer like this.

Comment

Those are not spikes. they are future Browtines

Comment

Working...
                                X