• Show
Clear All

Oops. Double post.

Comment

Originally posted by game stalker View Post
      I'm a softy can't shoot mom with a little one
      same here

Comment

According to all the experts, shooting the yearling is actually better than shooting a producing doe. At least til she drys up and don't produce anymore. Let her go and take the little one til she is ready to harvest then have her and her double throat patch mounted. Not too many of them around.

Comment

I'm with Chance......

They all eat the same.

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
            Just looking for opinions (or facts if you got em) on shooting does that still have yearlings with them (no spots, not fawns). My question is will the yearling be fine without momma? Is it guaranteed survival? 50/50? I've been hunting a buck-only county, but now am bowhunting so I'll be taking a doe or two seeing as my other family doesnt bow hunt. So its up to me to do the doe management. Thanks.
            Yearlings are 1.5 year olds and the survival of yearlings with does is just the same as shooting does with does.

A fawn is still a fawn whether or not it has spots, it becomes a yearling after its first birthday. Surival can be somewhat tougher, especially if the fawn was born from a yearling and is having a late start. As far as management is concerned the true answer is "It Depends" on what your herd goals.
            Last edited by FCTrapper; 08-16-2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

can't and won't do it. just my personal choice.

Comment

If the oppurtunity presents itself, I ll shoot the doe and yearling.

Comment

No spots sling away.

Comment

Yeah ill shoot a yearling doe over a mature, better eat and hope she gets bread to have a nubbin next time. A does a doe. A yearling won't breed it's first year.

Comment

A doe is a doe to me. I'll whack a momma and unless the property has a low census of does, if the little one hangs around too long, there's a good chance that they are in trouble as well if I can verify they are a doe too.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsonly88 View Post
                        Yeah ill shoot a yearling doe over a mature, better eat and hope she gets bread to have a nubbin next time. A does a doe. A yearling won't breed it's first year.
                        Actually, all yearlings will breed (1.5 yr old). Doe fawns will even breed (6 mos. old). In my experience, about 25-30% of doe fawns get bred each year.

Comment

Where we hunt, in East Texas, we are overrun with does. I try to take does with buck fawns first. The reason behind it, as stated earlier in the thread, is that the fawns are imprinted on the area. Once they are yearlings, and she is bred again, she will run them out of her home range. By taking her out before they are run off, you are guaranteeing yourself more bucks on your property. By doing this over the past 5-7 years, our buck numbers are skyrocketing. We have a small property, under 200 acres, and I usually get 25-30 different bucks on camera each year.
                          Once the spots are gone, I have no qualms about shooting any doe. As long as you are reducing the number of mouths, it is beneficial to the herd.

Comment

I generally use the no spot rule but in good years sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do!

Comment

Originally posted by 1point View Post
                              Seasons are set up for these reasons. Most fawns are capeable of self survival once deer season starts, with very few exceptions. Survival is never guaranteed however, predation, drought, natural causes, ect. will still take a percentage. In central texas where predation is very low I would say the survival rate is excellent. South and North texas where coyotes thrive, maybe not so much. Management goals would also play a part in the decision. If does are very overpopulated it would be a no brainer. If within the best interest of the deer, numbers to acres, food, ect. I cull does with yearlings knowing the yearling will team up with other deer for survival, however every place, person, and deer herd has its own special circumstances. Hope this helps, Good luck.
                              AGREED 110%

Comment

I think a youngster would prob make it fine by that point, however I never shoot a doe w a fawn. I have plenty of other deer to shoot so I just personally leave those alone. Like some of the guys mentioned, I'd feel like a jerk if the lil one stayed around sad trying to get mamma to get up, especially if I had one of my boys w me.

Comment

Working...
                                X