No announcement yet.

Shooting Does with yearlings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have before....And I didnt feel right after I made the shot. I can't say I won't ever do it again.... Depends on how bad I want some doe meat. If its late in the season and I don't have anything in the freezer, I'd probably shoot one again.

Comment

I only shoot old Grey face does.

Comment

i only shoot a doe with a fawn if i can tell they are not still nursing. its a bit hard on our place as or fawns drop pretty late for the most part.

Comment

Seasons are set up for these reasons. Most fawns are capeable of self survival once deer season starts, with very few exceptions. Survival is never guaranteed however, predation, drought, natural causes, ect. will still take a percentage. In central texas where predation is very low I would say the survival rate is excellent. South and North texas where coyotes thrive, maybe not so much. Management goals would also play a part in the decision. If does are very overpopulated it would be a no brainer. If within the best interest of the deer, numbers to acres, food, ect. I cull does with yearlings knowing the yearling will team up with other deer for survival, however every place, person, and deer herd has its own special circumstances. Hope this helps, Good luck.

Comment

You asked for opinions so here we go...most places have too many does so the first one that stands still long enough should be taken. There has been research that claims that buck fawns who lose thier mothers are more likely to stay in the area they were born, I am not sure if it is fact or not, but it might be. I personally don't care. We don't kill enough does on our place, so I shoot the first one that holds still long enough, and then I start looking for the next one. We have been on the same lease for 11 years now and have consistantly killed at least 2 to 3 times as many does as we have bucks. Our gross overall trophy buck score has risen every year. We now routinely see many more bucks than does at our stands. This is probably not because there are fewer does, simply the does have gotten smarter and know what areas to avoid.

Comment

I have shot a few and in most cases the young one stays nearby. Mostly did this because it was high fence MLD clean off of does.. I probably wouldnt do it again just because it is kinda brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD View Post
                i never shoot a doe that has a yearling with her...just a rule for me no facts to back it up.
                X2

Comment

a yearling is an animal in its second year of life, so no I have no problem shooting any of the does in a matriarchal group.

Comment

Originally posted by Kadda&Ben View Post
                    no spots should be fine its a personal choice i will never do it again after i watched a yearling come back to its mom and try and get her to get up made me feel like crap but its all up to the hunter
                    Did this ONCE...not again. man, i felt really bad with that little thing bleating around. Wouldn't hardly even leave when I started shuffling around to load her up.

Comment

A fawn was born this year, whereas a yearlin was born last year. Early in the season (at my lease) I will always try to shoot the oldest doe in the group, and work my way down. Later in the season when I am trying to hit numbers, a doe is a doe. Whether it's 8.5, a yearling, or a fawn makes no difference to me. Gotta get the work done. Guess I'm not a softy.

Comment

I did once and never will again. We have hardly any does on our lease so it hasn't even come up as a management issue but if I can't shoot an old buck I just leave the bow hangin.

Comment

does

If you can shoot the young does and leave the older ones for breeders so you have a better fawn crop the following year. Come late in the season shoot your doe fawns. Remember it is a numbers game not a sympathy contest.

Comment

Never knew we had so many softys on this site!! I've killed probably 50 or so doe's in my life and never thought twice about shooting a doe with fawns. As long as they don't have spots on them they have a good chance at making it, and if thy don't make it thats fewer mouths for mother nature to feed.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                              I am a little confused are u changing the place u hunt? Says u are in a buck only county but will be taking does with a bow. As far a the dow with yearlings I try not to shoot them just on personal preference. I guess u can call me a softy
                              I agree I guess it makes me soft too lol I like to know that those kids have their mom all year. I do have one doe that if she has kids again and I have the chance I will stick her lol she is a blower and stomper for no reason and knows were all my stands are no matter how high or how hidden they are she is the old biznatch of the bunch lol

Comment

CSmith- I agree with the blower and stomper. She is always the first one I take out. Can't have her teaching the young ones bad things!

Comment

Working...
                                X