Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    I bought the Improved Siberian Kale from eBay last year and they loved it....around 8lbs an acre if planting solo. I do 4-5 lbs an acre when planted in a mix.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Improved-Sib...item2592245180
    Thanks. I bought some today from that site. What mix do you plant with it? I normally plant this mix (per acre):
    50 lbs Wheat or Elbon Rye
    25 lbs I&C
    5 lbs Purple Top Turnips
    10 lbs Crimson clover
    10 lbs Arrow leaf clover

Think I can just add 5 lbs of Kale to this mix?

Comment

Rockin' do the turnips get real thick with that 5lbs/acre in the mix?

Having both 5lbs of turnips and 5lbs of kale would likely fill an acre together with just those two. Honestly I don't know if it would be too much or not.

I think it would really depend on how thick your mix is now.

Comment

Turnips aren't real thick but you are probably correct about not adding as much kale. I think I will cut back on PTT and Kale to about 2-1/2 lbs per acre each with this mix. I like the mix because it has growth from October to June.

Comment

I bet that would work great in your mix. Keep us posted this fall.

I love mixes like that too. It's about as close to year round in Texas as it gets.

Comment

Will the IC peas grow in sept or does it have to be Austrian winter peas

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
              Thanks. I bought some today from that site. What mix do you plant with it? I normally plant this mix (per acre):
              50 lbs Wheat or Elbon Rye
              25 lbs I&C
              5 lbs Purple Top Turnips
              10 lbs Crimson clover
              10 lbs Arrow leaf clover

Think I can just add 5 lbs of Kale to this mix?
              Dumb question......
              Are you mixing it all together, or planting separately? I assume you are using a spreader.....

Comment

Will the IC peas grow in sept or does it have to be Austrian winter peas

The IC peas grow until the first frost - but they normally get eaten first. I have tried AWP but the deer like the IC better.

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                Dumb question......
                Are you mixing it all together, or planting separately? I assume you are using a spreader.....
                I mix the wheat, rye and peas and plant. Then I mix the clover and turnip seeds and plant.

Comment

Does the feed store still sell I/C peas in september?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                    Does the feed store still sell I/C peas in september?
                    I get mine from Livingston Feed in Livingston, TX

Comment

I tired to buy I/C peas a couple of times in Aug/Sept and they were always out of them. You could check to see if they have them now.

Comment

Had to fill the protein feeder so I headed up this morning. I had put 400 lbs of 15% soybean/corn mix and they ate it in 10 days. This time I went back to Antler Max 20.

I cut a new shooting lane for my feeder in the thick brush. I'm gonna build an elevated platform and put my popup blind on top.

The Egyptian Wheat is growing well approaching 4 feet tall. Its gonna make a great screen.

This is my primary tree stand (Game Tamer) for the back food plot. I have one other tree stand in the back but this one is pretty darn good for a North, East, or South wind. West wind is no bueno for this stand.

I haven't gotten the drenching rains that some places around us have. The water hole is holding its own but could use a soaker.
                        Last edited by unclefish; 07-19-2014, 04:23 PM.

Comment

This creek crossing is where alot of deer approach the plot from the South bedding area.

I mowed a trail from the creek to the food plot to help "funnel" them where I want them to go. I've had good luck doing this in past years....they will take the path of least resistance...given the chance. If they come from here I don't have to worry about getting busted.

Pic of Big Creek.....pretty steep drop off.

Can't wait for the fall!

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

I agree with the mowed path, I know it works.

Comment

Nothing to get too excited about as far as big antlers....but there are plenty of potential targets.

Comment

Working...
                                X