No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a whole lot of edge habitat.. perfect for deer. I hope you grow a dandy this year.

That Roasted Soybean / Corn mix sounds like a mean breakfast cereal. I am going to ask my local feed store if they carry that. With 3 feeders on 80 acres, I have to set my apart by throwing a little something different.

Comment

The place is looking Great Steve! Amazing what some rain does after the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
        The place is looking Great Steve! Amazing what some rain does after the last couple of years.
        Thanks David. Yes it does.... Hopefully it will continue all summer.

Comment

UncleFish,

Question for ya. I am loving the clover/chircory plot, and the beans. It seems the big boys are hitting the plots regularly. I have heard a good way to get a mature buck is to catch him in his summer pattern first weekend of season. I want to try that, but while I am making plans to be sure I have the perfect setup. Will the clover and chicory be growing great in late Sept to make this plan work? Should I plant something else into the plot, or near by?

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
            UncleFish,

Question for ya. I am loving the clover/chircory plot, and the beans. It seems the big boys are hitting the plots regularly. I have heard a good way to get a mature buck is to catch him in his summer pattern first weekend of season. I want to try that, but while I am making plans to be sure I have the perfect setup. Will the clover and chicory be growing great in late Sept to make this plan work? Should I plant something else into the plot, or near by?
            Honestly it depends on rain. If you get the rainfall consistently then sure it can last until then. Do you have weeds/grass in it? You may have to mow it to control the weeds and make the clover have tender growth again.

Usually there is enough of a drought in August to make the clover go dormant but it depends on rainfall and temps. This year looks like a wetter/cooler summer than normal for sure. Houston still hasn't hit 95 degrees yet which is one of the top 10 latest dates in recorded history.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

The clover is still going. This is the latest I've had the clover still growing.
              Durana
              Yep. Mine is still going as well. I've got 2 does that pretty much live in there.

Comment

Honestly it depends on rain. If you get the rainfall consistently then sure it can last until then. Do you have weeds/grass in it? You may have to mow it to control the weeds and make the clover have tender growth again.

Usually there is enough of a drought in August to make the clover go dormant but it depends on rainfall and temps. This year looks like a wetter/cooler summer than normal for sure. Houston still hasn't hit 95 degrees yet which is one of the top 10 latest dates in recorded history.
                Great. I will send up some knee mail and see what happens. I will just have to play it by ear.

Comment

A few Covert pics.... I had a tall Sinny bean plant growing right in front of camera so that's why it looks funky.

I think this may be the buck I hit high last year but I can't tell from this pic. He has the same frame.

Comment

lookin good, hope thats your buck

Comment

What are you planting this fall?

Comment

ETM.....Lots more kale. Along with elbon rye, clover (if it doesn't come back from the summer), and oats. I need to plant more chicory too. I'm gonna try to expand my plot by an acre to make it 3 acres total.

Comment

ETM.....Lots more kale. Along with elbon rye, clover (if it doesn't come back from the summer), and oats. I need to plant more chicory too. I'm gonna try to expand my plot by an acre to make it 3 acres total.
                          Which type of kale do you plant? Where do you get it? I would like to try some this year. Anything special you need to do when planting?

Comment

I bought the Improved Siberian Kale from eBay last year and they loved it....around 8lbs an acre if planting solo. I do 4-5 lbs an acre when planted in a mix.

Last edited by unclefish; 07-16-2014, 09:10 PM.

Comment

I bought the Improved Siberian Kale from eBay last year and they loved it....around 8lbs an acre if planting solo. I do 4-5 lbs an acre when planted in a mix.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Improved-Sib...item2592245180
                              It showed 2 of 5 bags were sold, with one being sold in the past 24hrs. So I bought it. I am thinking I will try and replicate your mix as well. Going to the lease this weekend. I think it's about the right time to spray round up on some new areas, so I can turn them into fall plots.
                              Last edited by jkelbe; 07-17-2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                                It showed 2 of 5 bags were sold, with one being sold in the past 24hrs. So I bought it. I am thinking I will try and replicate your mix as well. Going to the lease this weekend. I think it's about the right time to spray round up on some new areas, so I can turn them into fall plots.
                                LOL...I bought another one too last night!

The kale can grow quickly if the deer don't find it right away and can shade out the other plants in the mix. But when the deer do find it then the other plants will take over once the kale is eaten down. Honestly the kale lasted about a month last year if I recall right so planting more acreage will help.

I also have about a half acre section that is just in clover and rye with nothing else. Its cool to see the deer rotate between each section.

Comment

Working...
                                X