Orange, Newton, Jasper and Jefferson County thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orange, Newton, Jasper and Jefferson County thread

A little late, but here is a thread for our corner of Texas. If you hunt in one of these counties, post a pic or drop a word about it. Hoping to get some cooperation from hunters on the old Type 2 that got leased.

Shout'em out boys!

Yesterday was my first hunt, one turkey is all I saw. Beautiful day, just no deer.

Comment

Following. Still hunt on the same lease I’ve been on for almost 10 years. As always way behind in my preparation. Have a new box blind at my house I need to take out and set up along with a feeder Saturday at a new spot I’ve acquired. I know we need rain but I hope we don’t get much this week. If we do I won’t be able to get back there where it needs to go with a trailer. Good luck to everyone, hope to see a lot of big deer pics on this thread. (And hope to post one from myself as well!)

Comment

We bordered a nice chunk of the old type 2, 5th season on our place. Good deer around with larger bodies then what I see closer to Zavalla. Been slow so far bucks usually have shown up by now but not the case so far. Hopefully cameras show a different story this weekend. From now until Thanksgiving has always been good with new deer showing up from time to time. Will post some pics if I have something worth posting after this trip.

Comment

I'm in Jefferson County. Yesterday was my first hunt, and it was a good one. Watched deer from daylight until after 10. 2 young bucks harassed a couple yearlings all around me most of the morning, and had a really nice 4 yr old 9 work the field. (First picture) I'm set up now in the same spot, came to sit on a different scrape, but there was way to much east in the wind to sit there. Naturally a decent buck passed by it a few minutes ago, don't think I recognize him, wouldn't have shot him, but would like to get a better look at him. (Second pic)
          Attached Files

Comment

Dang! Thats some nice bucks

Comment

LivinADream, how do you like that Game Winner feeder? I almost bought one this week.

Comment

It's a good feeder for the price. Had to caulk the seams, and paint peeled pretty quick, that's why it's splotchey. Its never not worked though.

Comment

Figured I would hunt the eclipse....

Comment

First sit this morning is newton County. This years been way different than the last 12 plus years. I'm still missing 3 good bucks from last season. Two were mature two years ago and one that probably would've been this year. He was nice last season but wasn't 13". The lease to the west swapped hands two years ago so instead of brown it's down they have been doing plots and feeding protein. Maybe my bucks are over there. To the north of me they put up a new high fence so unless they summered there and got trapped inside I should be getting pictures of them. It's just too hard to believe all 3 are MIA and even harder to believe they're dead. I don't plan sitting too long this morning as once I get chores up here done I'm headed west to public land this afternoon.

Comment

All those things are possible. The high fence sounds the most likely.

Had a pretty good hunt yesterday, saw several deer early, no shots, so on to the next hunt!

Comment

I have yet to make a hunt. Lord willing, Tuesday will be my first hunt. I have two bucks on camera from last season but they're down in body weight and antler size.

Comment

Friend of mine ssnt a piccof a very large very unique buck from Jasper County

Comment

I hunt on some of the old type 2 in Newton county . Seen several doe this year but no bucks while hunting. Haven’t hunted but maybe 3 sits in there.

Hunting north of Burkeville this morning but bumped a group of deer at my stand walking in unfortunately.

Comment

Killed a deer I've had on camera since 2016/2017, last Saturday evening. Bittersweet feeling. 135 1/8". He came thru scent checking and never looked at the hand corn I have out. I saw 5 bucks that evening and only one young forky stopped at the corn. Brother saw an old mature 7 chasing a doe this morning followed by another young buck.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	9point1.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	26614756

Comment

Working...
                              X