Saddle Hunting in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddle Hunting in Texas

For the platform, DEFINITELY stay with the buckle. I’ve seen other methods and they just don’t take up the slack. Plus being able to cam lock a Predator style platform is important.

Muddy had a hang on years ago called the blood sport that used a cam cleat instead of a cam buckle. It was a bit of a cluster. Had a buddy let me use it and no matter what I did, if I tried cam locking it I had slack and the stand would sag.

For y’all using amsteel rope mods, how does it hold up to abrasion? It won’t work in my muddy cam cleats unfortunately because it’s too slick. That was with 1/4 amsteel.
    Last edited by Kirby86; 10-23-2022, 09:35 AM.

Comment

You could use 1/4 and do a full burry and it might work…. But a lot of material. I’m on 3-4 years same amsteel and it’s as good as day 1

I made a whoopie sling out of some left overs a few years back and use it as a secondary lineman’s belt going over limbs. It will fit in a shirt pocket and weighs grams

Comment

Another test run and we are done!!!! Flawless!!!!

Sown the straps to length and this thing is streamlined as they come and quiet as a mouse peeing on a cotton ball

Target didn’t show. But I packed out in the dark, NO light. Down and out of the woods, walked 500 yards to truck and get a pic a a young buck in feed station on ridge I was hunting. I was smiling the whole time it was just perfect!

That’s the profile of entire setup!
        Attached Files

Comment

Attaboy Kyle. You got it figured out!

Man, I thought I had a greta idea for packing it in and out, but doesn't look like what I had in mind will work unless I carry my bow or the sticks, which I was hoping to bike in. Thats ok tho. I will figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
            Anyone use the One-Stick climbing method?
            I am running the one stick method. I have the EWO ultimate one stick with a 3 step aider, cruzr xc saddle, and using the figure 8 for rappelling. Best equipment in my arsenal is that one stick. Thing is awesome! It will change the way I hunt.

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

About the daisy chain amsteel for platform- I've been using that with my hawk apex platform. At first I too struggled with the slack when one of the loops doesnt line up just right.

Then I saw this video on youtube: https://youtu.be/IPj_6hNzI-s?t=621

Basically you rotate the platform 90-deg to the tree to make the shorter/tighter loop fit, set the loop, then rotated back 90-deg to the right position. Once I pull down on the platform to engage the bottom set of teeth, it is totally stable, even hard to remove. Once I figured that out, its been more secure and quieter than I could get with the buckle.

Comment

Fixed the problem of attaching my climbing sticks to my pack. I didn't realize my badlands pack came with attachments for stuff on the bottom of the pack. I got all four sticks daisy chained together and then buckled them to the bottom of my pack.

I am going on a walk with it on right now. Weight is not bad, my keys in my pocket are the loudest thing. The last thing is the platform. If I can get that attached to my pack plus my bow on the back, I am set. I believe I can attach it on the side.

Last edited by ctom87; 10-25-2022, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                    Fixed the problem of attaching my climbing sticks to my pack. I didn't realize my badlands pack came with attachments for stuff on the bottom of the pack. I got all four sticks daisy chained together and then buckled them to the bottom of my pack.

I am going on a walk with it on right now. Weight is not bad, my keys in my pocket are the loudest thing. The last thing is the platform. If I can get that attached to my pack plus my bow on the back, I am set. I believe I can attach it on the side.

I hope that works for you bc there's no way I could get through the woods I hunt like that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

When I snapped the picture, I thought the same. Definitely still in test mode but this checked a lot of boxes. At the very least, I plan on biking in on trails where width should be a problem. Then it is very simple to take off the pack and undo/carry the sticks if needed. What i need to do is get out more and see how much of a hindrance it really is. Now I know why they modify the sticks though lol.

Comment

This is my second season in a saddle. Hunting private hardwoods, and public mostly in Sabine NF. I use Hawk Helium sticks with an aider, and the Hawk Helium platform that replaces the top steps on one stick. It is a small platform so for long hunts I'll use my Hawk ring of steps so I can adjust my footing when needed. Tethrd Phantom saddle and have no complaints about it. I carry my sticks vertically on each side of my pack to keep from snagging in the thickets.

Comment

If it works for ya then, that’s what counts. There’s no way I can see that working for me. Camofire has several sticks on sale TODAY. IF you like muddy or hawk (I don’t, but they are there if you do). Mini sticks are almost required to pack with a saddle. Nothing else will stack right.

I personally wouldn’t modify those, when new minis are under $100 and put liability on them…. Again…. I hate my heliums sticks of all my sticks for mobile use

What is in the backpack? The saddle?

I’m not a fan of carrying anything in my hand but my bow. Can’t count the number of shot opportunities I’ve stumbled into…. Just never a buck I wanted, but just as easy could have been

If I blow them all out of the woods before I get up the tree, nothing else matters. Getting in undetected and setting up where I need to be and doing that without blowing them out is the first part to a successful hunt

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            If it works for ya then, that’s what counts.

I personally wouldn’t modify those...

What is in the backpack? The saddle?
                            This year the big hunt at Hagerman is basically all I care about. I am only going on hunts I won this year and the other archery hunt is at Big Lake Bottom. I also won a multi-species hunt for the same weekend at Alazan bayou, so what I'll probably do is the Alazan hunt for ducks, or since I'm already off that weekend and have a planned trip, I may just forego both and spend the weekend in DCNF. But for all intents and purposes, Hagerman is all I am really after and prepping for. Since I'll be able to set up Thursday, I should be able to sneak in without any gear other than my pack and bow each day of the hunt. I'm sure I'll find opportunities for improvement in real-life situations, and I'm pumped to go down the rabbit hole in preparation for next year. Y'all look like you're having fun

In the pack I'll have snacks, water, binos, range finder, knife, TP, set of allen wrenches, wind checker and calls. I should still have enough room for the saddle. but it was not in there at the time.

Comment

Got this email today! There are soooo many small detail features in the original that are worth it…. All overshadowed by odd packaging and weight. This one might be the perfect platform

Probably get one and if it’s not will be another permanent set
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looking forward to your review.

Comment

Working...
                                X