No announcement yet.

Saddle Hunting in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe this is my fourth year running a saddle setup and couldnt see myself changing anytime soon. I have went down rabbit holes, they can get expensive and over the top, but I have figured out over time what works best for me. I am currently using a Cruzr XC, I have had the Tethrd mantis and the predator, and the Cruzr blows them away in comfort IMO. For sticks I have been using 3 Trophyline minis with a versa aider. My platform is a Tethrd predator and I have been very happy with it, I wear a size 11 and have never found it too small. I used the ropemans on my linemans and tether when I was not using 8mm rope, I now prefer using a friction hitch and tender. The only other system I would be interested in looking at if money wasnt an option would be LWCG stuff, the way their sticks and platform stack together is slick. Feel free to holler with any questions

Comment

For you saddle hunters that hunt public land, how do you get your deer out of the woods. I just bought the stuff to turn my hang on into a shelf to pack the meat out. I'm not sure how I could with a saddle

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Same as I do with any method, tell my friends to start dragging (that’s our rule). Boat, cart, drag by hand. Saddle don’t matter. I’d rather drag it with 11.5 pounds on my back than 25. Lol

How did you get one out before you bought the “convention kit”?
        Last edited by Low Fence; 10-22-2022, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Saddle Hunting in Texas

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
          For you saddle hunters that hunt public land, how do you get your deer out of the woods. I just bought the stuff to turn my hang on into a shelf to pack the meat out. I'm not sure how I could with a saddle

Quartering usually unless I’ve went in by boat. Then I might have a cart. Quartering still beats the cart in most instances.

I find having a pack that can haul is worth the weight. As much as I like using my hang-on stand as a frame pack with meat, when you get an entire deer quartered out and strapped to the frame, every stand hauling system sucks in comparison to a dedicated pack. That much weight is where load lifters shine, especially if packing it all out in one trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            Same as I do with any method, tell my friends to start dragging (that’s our rule). Boat, cart, drag by hand. Saddle don’t matter. I’d rather drag it with 11.5 pounds on my back than 25. Lol

How did you get one out before you bought the “convention kit”?
            Kyle normally I try to hunt where I can get a deer cart to. Last week I quartered a spike and put it in a meat sack and strapped it to my climber to pack out. Was definitely not ideal but where I was hunting there was a big creek and multiple drainages so dragging or cart wasn't an option. Kirby what frame pack do you recommend?

Comment

If you’re just looking for something to cart one out, an Alps commander isn’t bad but it weighs like 7lbs empty.

There’s a lotta options in that price range too.

I’ve used packs from Kuiu, Horn Hunter, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, Badlands, REI and Kifaru.
              When you get above 80lbs the Kifaru and Stone Glacier are head and shoulders above the others. They’re also 3x the price.

For whitetails I definitely wouldn’t jump straight into one of the top end packs until you know exactly what you want. I hunt out west now and then so it made sense.

But then again I have more money than sense sometimes! I tell myself I spend less than I would if I had a lease but sometimes it makes me wonder.

Comment

Anyone use something other than the strap and buckle that come with the platforms to attach the platform to the tree? This was one of my biggest issues this week in my first several setups saddle hunting. That buckle clanks around and makes more noise than anything and its pretty heavy too. I’m looking at switching to a setup using amsteel w prusik or just amsteel using a timber hitch. And experience w either of those?

I’m probably gonna switch out my XOP platform/strap w buckle for a Predator w some sort of amsteel rope attachment and shed 3 pounds off of my setup. I’m not worried about shedding every ounce possible but if I can make major improvements in weight/noise/ease of use I’m all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't "used" it yet, but I am in the process of making amsteel daisy chains for each climbing stick and my platform. I made 2 so far and used one to practice with a foot off the ground. I thought it worked really well. I bought extra length if you would like me to make you one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                    I have a muddy pro stick I cut down and mounted an Ultimate Platform on the top of that I use for one sticking with 2 DIY aiders on it.

My only problem is that I wish I had gone with a different tube. The muddy stick flexes more than id like, but that platform will fit and 1’ tube.

Honestly I prefer a set of sticks over it because I haven’t quite figured out how to be quiet enough when I go to climb beyond the stick. Sometimes I have to pull like heck to pop the rope from the cam cleat and if I’m not careful the one stick can swing around and make a lotta racket.

I use a Petzl Grigri to rappel with as well, and wish I had waited for the Madrock Safeguard shortage to end last year. The Grigri will slip if you try to use it as a tether unless you tie it off. I just carry a separate tether with a ropeman 2 on it (which I hate). The ropeman 2 seems to eat ropes inevitably.

One sticking is definitely lighter, but it can become a heck of a workout, and it’s not the funnest thing sometimes, especially if you rappel down and forgot to attach your retrieval line to your rappel rope… then comes the climb of shame!

I swore I’d quit hauling in a Doyle’s gear hoist because of the weight for that very reason, but after climbing a 20ft hackberry with multiple limbs and getting 40ft of dynaglide tangled all over, Im going back to the Doyle’s.

I bought like 3 different hoists and sent them all back. They’re all so big and bulky. I ended up buying a small crappie fishing reel and putting some thin braided rope on it and used that this week. It is extremely light and compact and i attach it to my saddle when climbing up the tree and the line releases as I climb. After pulling up the bow but I just reel in the line and put in in one of my pouches on my saddle. It isnt perfect so i’m still gonna make some tweeks but i like it better than any of those hoists I bought by far.

Comment

Keep the buckle! Over anything else on the platform.

Order some “stealth strips”….. or mole skin will work. Take some time with a new razor and you can make that nickel absolutely dead quiet. I’ll get pics of mine later. It’s WAY faster than the other monkey motion when it comes to the platform. Eye ball the length before you start helps

Funny thing is I still think I can hang my lone wolf alpha quicker and easier. Lol. Probably just a lot more experience with it. I’m pretty efficient with my current set up, but it’s a micro version of my loc on set up.

I takes practice to get a system. There were weeks in the off season I’d climb 10-12 trees. Some east some horrible… just to learn

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                        I haven't "used" it yet, but I am in the process of making amsteel daisy chains for each climbing stick and my platform. I made 2 so far and used one to practice with a foot off the ground. I thought it worked really well. I bought extra length if you would like me to make you one.

Thanks for the offer. I have the tethrd skeletor sticks w the amsteel rope attachments which I love so far. All I would need is a length of rope w a loop in one end. From what I’ve read about people doing it they say 3/16 or 1/4 works better for using this method on a platform(especially the timber hitch doesnt work great w thinner sizes as the friction of the larger diameter is needed to hold it).

Comment

….. sticks are all personal preference for design AND attachment method

The buckles…. Just too heavy at almost a pound per strap…. That adds up fast!

Rope mod….. I hate knots so much I could do it just for looking at the dang mess

Daisy chain… great concept. I HATED THEM. Sloppy and not as precision as I like… versa link too… not a fan personally

Woopsie daisy….. ahhhhh no. Nightmare to get loose

Amsteel rope mod is my favorite by a mile. Basically weightless. I can go on a tree bigger than I’d ever hunt. 100% silent. Stays where I put it

I wanted to like the daisy chain…. But I couldn’t personally

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                            Thanks for the offer. I have the tethrd skeletor sticks w the amsteel rope attachments which I love so far. All I would need is a length of rope w a loop in one end. From what I’ve read about people doing it they say 3/16 or 1/4 works better for using this method on a platform(especially the timber hitch doesnt work great w thinner sizes as the friction of the larger diameter is needed to hold it).

Ah ok gotchya. I have the 7/64th. If you end up hanging your mind and wanting something Holler at me.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                              Ah ok gotchya. I have the 7/64th. If you end up hanging your mind and wanting something Holler at me.
                              ok thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                ….. sticks are all personal preference for design AND attachment method

The buckles…. Just too heavy at almost a pound per strap…. That adds up fast!

Rope mod….. I hate knots so much I could do it just for looking at the dang mess

Daisy chain… great concept. I HATED THEM. Sloppy and not as precision as I like… versa link too… not a fan personally

Woopsie daisy….. ahhhhh no. Nightmare to get loose

Amsteel rope mod is my favorite by a mile. Basically weightless. I can go on a tree bigger than I’d ever hunt. 100% silent. Stays where I put it

I wanted to like the daisy chain…. But I couldn’t personally
                                i didnt like my daisy chains either, but now i tie a truckers hitch with them and it works awesome

Comment

Working...
                                X