No announcement yet.

Saddle Hunting in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. There is absolutely no reason for the xl unless your hunting with scuba flippers on. Seriously I see no reason for that much platform

Comment

Cruzer “has” a mini version of the seeker in the works but I don’t think is available yet. It would be a strong front runner IF it packs better FOR ME

IM a “minimalist”…… but not at the cost of function. I don’t need a pack that has a picnic basket and a Lego set trailer inside. Big platforms require additional backpack that I despise anyway. I’m 5’9” and both others I hunt public land with are well over 6’… with big Ol shaq feet. The original predator is more than enough

Comment

Saddle Hunting in Texas

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        No. There is absolutely no reason for the xl unless your hunting with scuba flippers on. Seriously I see no reason for that much platform
        ^ This. I got the XL because my wife wanted a bigger platform and gotta agree. Plus the edges being so pointed hurt my feet after a while. It’s also heavy for what it is.

My biggest gripe with it though is that the platform is so big that it leverages bad and can kick out if you’re on the far edge, plus it’s developed a squeak that Teflon washers have not solved. The tree bracket is constantly loose as well. I would’ve kept my original predator platform if I didn’t have my U.P. from EWO.
        Last edited by Kirby86; 10-19-2022, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Good info!!!!

Comment

Anyone use the One-Stick climbing method?

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
              I have to get into saddle hunting. I sounded like a herd of elephants this morning with my climber hitting everything. Any suggestions for my size, 6'1" 220?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Well I sound like a herd of elephants clanging pots and pans (buckles, carabiners, sticks, platform etc) packing my saddle gear through the woods lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i'm using a cruzer xc saddle with hawk 20 " sticks and amsteel daisy chains and aiders on a tree hopper aluminium platform. still a work in progress

Comment

Just finished all the final sowing on adjustment straps. DONE!

This has been a looonnnngggggg process of trial and error and components swapping, but it’s exactly what I was hoping for. Shame they don’t make anything close to this as popular as this method is

Pic doesn’t come close to how slim and streamline it is. It’s tiny!…. And 11.5 pounds with 4 sticks and cable aiders
                  Attached Files

Comment

I’m in my 3rd season of saddle hunting.

Buying a back band and an adjustable bridge were probably the two components that increased comfort the most.

My gear at this point seems very manageable and user friendly. (everything fits in/on Trophyline CAYS pack.) Total pack weight is around 22 pounds.

I think with saddle hunting, the more you hang out on SaddleHunter.com and the more YouTube you watch, the more you go down the rabbit hole. It can get real expensive, real dangerous, and overly complex real quick. I think a lot of guys buy into the idea of being able to get back in 2-4 miles..and while some do, most guys even with lightweight gear aren’t realistically going more than 3/4 mile on an average public land sit.

Closing thoughts: Get a realistic, safe, and simple system that works for you. It’s not a competition to have the lightest haul in weight. It’s not a competition to have the most unique climbing system. Get up the tree, sit there quietly, and take shots you absolutely know you’re going to make.

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post

I like the idea of rappelling down, but the trip up seems like three ring circus.

Comment

Midway USA has a deal on the XOP Renegade combo. It comes with the saddle and Edge saddle stand for $139.99. I'm sure there are lighter, better quality, and more comfortable options, but I'm cheap and want to try it out. You have to search for the combo, it doesn't come up if you just search for tree saddles.

Comment

Originally posted by TradHunter View Post
                          I like the idea of rappelling down, but the trip up seems like three ring circus.
                          I can see what you mean. I looked into the Knaider-Swaider method and to me, this looks like an awesome way to get in a bind.

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post

I have a muddy pro stick I cut down and mounted an Ultimate Platform on the top of that I use for one sticking with 2 DIY aiders on it.

My only problem is that I wish I had gone with a different tube. The muddy stick flexes more than id like, but that platform will fit and 1’ tube.

Honestly I prefer a set of sticks over it because I haven’t quite figured out how to be quiet enough when I go to climb beyond the stick. Sometimes I have to pull like heck to pop the rope from the cam cleat and if I’m not careful the one stick can swing around and make a lotta racket.

I use a Petzl Grigri to rappel with as well, and wish I had waited for the Madrock Safeguard shortage to end last year. The Grigri will slip if you try to use it as a tether unless you tie it off. I just carry a separate tether with a ropeman 2 on it (which I hate). The ropeman 2 seems to eat ropes inevitably.

One sticking is definitely lighter, but it can become a heck of a workout, and it’s not the funnest thing sometimes, especially if you rappel down and forgot to attach your retrieval line to your rappel rope… then comes the climb of shame!

I swore I’d quit hauling in a Doyle’s gear hoist because of the weight for that very reason, but after climbing a 20ft hackberry with multiple limbs and getting 40ft of dynaglide tangled all over, Im going back to the Doyle’s.

Comment

Just gauging interest, but if there were to be a saddle hunters meet up in DFW in February of next year, how many folks would be interested?

I know a few archery shops that have offered to let me advertise it and I’m gonna ask on some other platforms but figured I’d mention it here.

I know Tethrd was going to do a meet up in 2020 but Covid obviously squashed that and I haven’t heard anything about it since.

Comment

I would be there if I had the free time.

Comment

Working...
                                X