No announcement yet.

FOC increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great season for me. Shot 4 deer full pass through on everyone. Sold on the heavy and high FOC setups. Used QAD Exodous heads this year. They performed great, but may test some bigger heads with better MA this year. Complete confidence in my setup now.

Comment

This thread makes me feel like my 420 grain 12% FOC arrows I just built are in adequate!

Comment

Originally posted by Ttechhunter View Post
        This thread makes me feel like my 420 grain 12% FOC arrows I just built are in adequate!

Well it depends how deep in the dirt you need your Broadheads to go after goin through a critter. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
          Well it depends how deep in the dirt you need your Broadheads to go after goin through a critter. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

[emoji1][emoji1]

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            What's the difference on a pass through with a 390gr with a modest FOC arrow and a 500gr arrow with an FOC of 16%?
            110 grains!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckDogTrainer View Post
              110 grains!
              And a little deeper in the dirt or farther down the hill or pasture due to hitting rocks! And possibly not one you will find because ti is to far past where you think it should have stopped!

595 grains and right at 20% FOC!

Comment

Originally posted by Ttechhunter View Post
                That arrow has killed a lot of animals; if it works for you and you have confidence in it, keep shooting them.

Comment

So I have a question... I have 2 arrows one is a little lighter one is a little heavier, both penetrate the target and animals the same and both kill animals.

So which one is a better arrow if both momentums are about the same?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4437.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	24481711
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4438.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	24481712

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                    So I have a question... I have 2 arrows one is a little lighter one is a little heavier, both penetrate the target and animals the same and both kill animals.

[ATTACH]837416[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]837417[/ATTACH]

They're so close in weight I would just pick the one I liked best.

Comment

Just by pure physics the heavy arrow will always penetrate better.

But your arrows are 11 gns difference. That is absolutely nothing when your looking a penetration difference. If you built two arrows with same foc. You would need around 50 gn difference before it would make any difference. And even then your not talking a couple of inches difference.

Comment

[ATTACH]837416[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]837417[/ATTACH]

I do want to add. The numbers your posting on the app. They are incorrect. You are showing a decrease in k.e. That is not going to happen. It may not be a gain but it will be the same atleast. Never less. But it still will be nothing between the two.

Since this is a foc post. Let's look at something.

I've never tested penetration with two arrows with different weight but same foc But I did have a friend set up a penetration test with arrows that where with in about 8 to 10 gn of each other but foc was different.

Foc was 12% 19% 24%

Now this is where you see things. In his test the 12 to 19 had a 24% increase penetration 19 to 24 was 8% but from 12 to 24 was 34% increase.

Now what does that mean. Well let's look at a deer I'm guessing on thickness. Say he's 16 thick. If your 12% arrow gets a pass through then the others mean nothing. But let's say your 12% always stops in off shoulder so it's right there just no hole. This is where we see this helps. So say 12% makes 15.5 inches going to the 19% makes that arrow penetrate 19.22. That puts the head out the other side. At this point it could be a passthrough two holes. Or atleast gets the arrow out and hopefully he catches it on brush and pulls out and now two holes.

Now going up in weight but keeping foc the same will have the same results as I just showed. But it takes a lot more weight to get the same results

This is just a tad bit of info.
                        Last edited by enewman; 01-24-2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                          I do want to add. The numbers your posting on the app. They are incorrect. You are showing a decrease in k.e. That is not going to happen. It may not be a gain but it will be the same atleast. Never less.

Then what would the right numbers be?

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            They're so close in weight I would just pick the one I liked best.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Just wondering if I was the only one that thought like that, because everyone knows you need 550+ gr and 30% foc to kill a 90 lb deer [emoji16][emoji106]

Comment

Then what would the right numbers be?

You really need to shoot it through a chronograph to see. But let's look at what your using.

The 437 gn at 261 is 66.1k.e.on my app. So going to a 448 gn and adjusting to keep it at 66.1 your speed would be 258. Again this is nothing between the two arrows.

Now let me add something. Momentum. Most say this is the number you need to look at for penetration. The 448 gn arrow is .513. The 437 is .506. That means the 448 gn arrow has a 13.8% increase in momentum. That is good and that's what you want. Now in all reallalty are you going to see this. I doubt it. But every little helps.

The biggest penetration factor is broadhead any way.

Comment

That's kinda what I was thinking. Just wondering if I was the only one that thought like that, because everyone knows you need 550+ gr and 30% foc to kill a 90 lb deer [emoji16][emoji106]

It's not that 90 lb deer you care about. It's when that 200 lb boar shows up

Comment

Working...
                                X