New bow - $1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bow - $1000

In my somewhat short but slightly productive career as a bowhunter, I've had 3 bows. I can't even remember what the first bow was, as I had it when I was 12 and got rid of it when I was 14, over 10 years ago.
    My second bow is one of my current bows, a Golden Eagle. While it shoots decent, it's really heavy and clunky compared to alot of the newer bows.
    My 3rd is a bow that I've just recently acquired, a Hoyt Cybertec XT. My brother gave it to me because he bought another bow for himself since this one no longer suited his needs.

What I'm getting at is all of the bows I've owned have either been bought second-hand, or hand-me-downs. Now, I'm NOT exactly complaining about that fact, since I never would have gotten into bowhunting if my dad hadn't bought me that $200 bow 15 years ago, but I would just like to have ONE bow that I bought brand new. That I knew the complete history of, whether or not it was dropped, dry-fired, etc. I want a bow that I know every detail about since I would be the first to modify it, hunt with it, and take an animal with it.

I have $1000 to spend, not including set-up costs like a rest, sight, etc.
    I know it will come down to me putting my hands on each bow and shooting over and over until I find one that fits me, but I'd like to know where to start.

My list to look at includes the Z7 Xtreme and Hoyt Vector.

I know Bowtech has a new one coming in January, but with all the hype, I think it's going to be out of my price range.

And I don't want this to be a Mathews vs. Bowtech vs. Hoyt vs. Strother vs. Whatever. Just looking for a few ideas on bows to look at.

With $1k, you should have your choice of any bow!

Comment

Carbon Matrix Plus

Comment

Bro don't get the vector. A buddy of mine had one and it wore out the string too fast on the lower cam. I think cause the cam has too sharp of a bend. Less then 100 shots it was already through the winding.

Comment

Last year I shot a Limbsavers bow. Year before I shot a Hoyt alpha max. Year before that was a Mathews. This year is a PSE Evo. Never have owned a bowtech though I may give the insane a try but well see. IMHO if you want a really smooth shooting bow shoot a Hoyt. The only downside they have is that they are slower than other makers and haven't changed much over the past 5 or 6 years other than their prices. If you want speed look into the PSE bows. They are very cost efficient and I don't know that I have ever shot a better overall bow. I'm not a Mathews fan for reasons I won't negatively broadcast on here but that's just my opinions of bows. Another bow that is really nice are the Elite bows. The guy that is making them left bowtech and started making elite. I haven't owned one but I've shot the GT500 at some
          3D competitions and really liked it. If you're right handed look around at various shops and shoot as many as you can. Good luck.

Comment

I bought a brand new pse revenge 2012 model with the skull camo for 1200. That's with everything and it's a screamer. You could get a pse evo dream season for a decent price. But they have a good line of bows for reasonable prices.

Comment

I'd you do buy a PSE don't pay msrp. PSE makes the dealers advertise the msrp but many dealers will sell you the bows a lot cheaper. I paid 699 for my Skulz Evo and a buddy of mine just bought the omen pro for 750.

Comment

Look at K&K archery! I have shot and owned Mathews, Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt, and now K&K which is by far my favorite. You don't hear about them like you do the others. It was the first bow I ever bought without shooting it first and I don't regret it. Its smooth, fast, great hold with solid wall. Love it and cannot imagine owning another kind of bow.

Comment

Try a Bowtech Invasion also. I shot it and loved it. Trying to decide if I want to trade in my Z7. Gonna be a tough trade for me as this bow has been pretty dang good.

Comment

go to a pro shop and start shooting... with 1k, youll find one you love..I PROMISE

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                        go to a pro shop and start shooting... with 1k, youll find one you love..I PROMISE
                        X2

Comment

New breed archery

Comment

Why spend all of it at once? There are a TON of really good used bows completely rigged for 4-700 range depending on the year model. Shoot some new bows, find what you like and then scour the classified elections on different archery forums until you find what you want in the price range that makes sense.

I would bet for a grand you could be set up for a while including arrows!!

Comment

Mathews, best bow I have owned.

Comment

Working...
                              X