No announcement yet.

Barncat house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife went to get a couple of barn cats a while back...and came home with 4 of them our daughter just "couldn't bear separating the 4 brothers"

We are down to 3 now, because one kept running down to the neighbors and fighting their cats, and he took care of the issue with my blessing the others are scheduled to get fixed in the next few weeks. One was a runt, and seems to be somewhat crippled, walks real odd, almost sideways. Anyways, it's enjoyable to sit on the porch and watch them as they stalk their prey and of course they were quickly turned into pets by our daughter, and annoy the living daylights out of me every evening...but the dogs are pretty good with them, they're killing mice, snakes, etc so I give them a scratch or two and try to not let them get to me too much

I like the little house you built for them fortunately we rarely have REALLY cold weather down here, certainly not like you have up there...so a moving blanket in the unused chiminea is sufficient for them to all curl up in. They also discovered the hot tub cover a few weeks ago when it got cold so I placed an old blanket over the cover, and there will usually be one on it come morning time, enjoying the radiant heat from underneath

Comment

I’ve been wondering what would happen when the pronghorns turn up. Cat2 just stared at them walking by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Beautiful views on those last two pics Bill.
        I think your pet hunters are feeling right at home!

Comment

Barncat house

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
          Beautiful views on those last two pics Bill.
          I think your pet hunters are feeling right at home!

Thanks. Y’all come and visit. I was chasing elk in the Ruby Mountains across the valley this season. When it warms up a bit I want to hike to Ruby Peak (9,391’- the valley floor is about 5,000’) - but the the old logging trail is overgrown and it becomes a steep bushwhacking expedition at points.

Last edited by Bill; 02-12-2023, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Update- no mice, rabbits and a dead vole left for me as a trophy. The bluebirds drive the cats crazy.

I don’t threaten them and they’re getting closer. I was sitting in my shop exchanging looks with the smaller one today.

Comment

Good to see they are doing well.

Comment

They are doing their job and loving life.

Heck of a view!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  Update- no mice, rabbits and a dead vole left for me as a trophy. The bluebirds drive the cats crazy.

I don’t threaten them and they’re getting closer. I was sitting in my shop exchanging looks with the smaller one today.

This is awesome. Kind of like reading "Dances with wolves"

Comment

have two stone cold killers. I let them in the shop at night. as long as they don't pee in the corners they can go in. one was on my game cam hunting my corn for 6 months before he got brave and came up to the house.

Comment

My wife rescued 3 week old kittens that were abandoned. They got bottle fed and stayed in the house till they were almost 3 months old. As soon as they started scratching stuff they went outside. We recently got an older cat that appears to be showing the little ones the ropes. So at the request of my wife and daughter, I built a cat house with leftover wood and some extra pink spray paint. Since it’s hot down here, I also added a small solar panel and 2 fans. The little ones have been sleeping in it at night, and are seen occasionally going in and out of it during the day.

We haven’t had a pest problem out here, yet, but wanted to be proactive before we have a problem. I’ve only seen 4 snakes out here so far(we bought this place in January) but I’ve seen sheds so I know they are around. If I could figure out how to make the pictures smaller on this new site then I’d post pictures.

Comment

Working...
                      X