No announcement yet.

Game Hoist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Jethro;9610325]Okay, here is one I just got done building for me. Haven't lifted a deer with it yet, but I can grab the end of the jib and bounce my 200+ lb. carcass around out on the end of it with no ill effects. The mount stays bolted in the truck all the time, boom can just lift in and out as needed. Doesn't require any pins or anything, just drop in and go. Too cold to sandblast and paint, so that will have to wait until it warms up. It swivels nice and easy, even with a load on it..[QUOTE]

Jethro,

I like the way that is mounted on the side of the bed so it is not in the way at all...Whats involved to enable the mount to be bolted to truck? Does the body work have to be drilled at all?

Regards,

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by blide View Post
      Those minivan hoist pics crack me up!
      The ones I posted? If so, why??

Comment

It's actually 8.34 pounds/gallon for normal tap water. 7.48 gallons/cubic foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete E View Post
          The ones I posted? If so, why??
          Although I understand why one would find the pic humorous I think it's cool there is an application of a hoist for that particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            Although I understand why one would find the pic humorous I think it's cool there is an application of a hoist for that particular situation.
            Still don't really follow, but I guess that's down to things being a bit different over here..lol!

As a bit of back ground, we have six species of deer available to stalk in the wild, plus a couple of others if shooting high fenced exotics is your thing..

Of the six found wild, Muntjac, Chinese Water Deer and Roe are small critters, with a typical mature Roe Buck carcass (gralloched, head and lower legs removed, but skin on) will typically weigh around 35lb, give or take a few pounds either way..the other two species mentioned are even smaller.

Then we have Fallow and Sika, which I am guessing you guys are familiar with as exotics in Texas, which I would guess are the size of a small Whitetail, and finally we have Red, which ranges in size from Whitetail, to a small Elk...

The hoist set up on green Jimny would cope with everything except Red and perhaps a very large Fallow buck, but for most stuff its ideal.

What I liked about it when I first saw it is how light weight and compact it is compared to your typical receiver hitch /towball mounted hoist seen on here. As it folds forward flat along the roof, its also easy to leave in place while hunting..

My main concern would be the bolts that hold the factory roof rails in place. Each bar is only held on with two smallish bolts at each end and I think those maybe the limiting factor as far as weight limits are concerned.

With regards the Jimny, I am not sure they imported into the States? They are Suzuki' s follow on to the old SJ410/ SJ413. The Jimny retains the ladder chassis, Hi - Low 4WD range and solid front and rear axles , but updates the suspension with coil springs all around. I bought one as a "stop gap" but liked it so much I kept it for seven years and put over 160K miles on the clock before selling it..It was totally reliable in that time and even in stock form, excellent off road...

The pic below is mine, and you can see I ditched the rear seats and put in a bit of rubber matting as a new floor..The carcass in the back is a Roe, although I can't remember if it was a buck or doe..

Last edited by Pete E; 01-16-2015, 11:23 AM.

Comment

[quote=Pete E;9642890][QUOTE=Jethro;9610325]Okay, here is one I just got done building for me. Haven't lifted a deer with it yet, but I can grab the end of the jib and bounce my 200+ lb. carcass around out on the end of it with no ill effects. The mount stays bolted in the truck all the time, boom can just lift in and out as needed. Doesn't require any pins or anything, just drop in and go. Too cold to sandblast and paint, so that will have to wait until it warms up. It swivels nice and easy, even with a load on it..

Jethro,

I like the way that is mounted on the side of the bed so it is not in the way at all...Whats involved to enable the mount to be bolted to truck? Does the body work have to be drilled at all?

Regards,

Peter
              Yes, I drilled 7 holes in the bed to bolt the mount to the truck. There are 5 bolts in the bottom plates (one you can't see) and 2 in the top portion of the mount (you can only see 1 of those). The two in the top went through reinforced portions of the stake pocket. I used 3/8x16 bolts to attach it.

The only parts I bought were the winch and the two pulleys, about $50 total. Everything else I had laying around and just scrounged up. Hope that helps.

Comment

Here's a great feature on the one I have--it's not right in the center of the tailgate and when you pivot it for loading a carcass, it lets you put it right in the bed.

Comment

don't forget the rated tongue weight of your receiver hitch! Figure hoist and animal weight and skinning or down pulling pressure. Not a problem with deer but a very big hog will push the limit of the hitch. The picture of the one with the drop bar and ground plate would eliminate this problem.

Comment

TTT
                    Revamping this to see who's using electric winches in their setups...?

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      Here's a great feature on the one I have--it's not right in the center of the tailgate and when you pivot it for loading a carcass, it lets you put it right in the bed.

Come to think of it, that IS a great idea!

Comment

12 volt electric winches anybody??

Comment

Great ideas

Comment

Originally posted by bar2hunter View Post
                            12 volt electric winches anybody??

I haven't done it, but it wouldn't be hard. I don't think it would be worth the trouble though. I've lifted 300lb hogs with mine without double lining and it was no trouble at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              I haven't done it, but it wouldn't be hard. I don't think it would be worth the trouble though. I've lifted 300lb hogs with mine without double lining and it was no trouble at all.
                              I'm leaning towards this type of setup...dual purpose, to lift game and winch in lawn mower, ATVs, etc...

Comment

For those entertaining the idea of a dual system (manual and electric), here's my contribution...

And, the swivel in the middle...

Comment

Working...
                                X