Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Active shooter in Uvalde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
    Locked down inside their classrooms. Metal door with HD latch and lock. Door stays locked. If it shuts the kids are locked inside. Elementary schools should also be locked down at the front. Most actually are. Someone either let him in or they didn’t have a system or it was broken. We will find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is good to know . My kids are in Elementary I will
    Ask them in the morning what they do in a lock down .

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      I think there is more active shooter training in LE than you think.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Again Im former LE and trained local LE in active shooter. Im not discounting anyone but its not enough training when we are talking about hundreds to thousands of children. Different ballgame.

Comment

The sadest part about all this is the left is going to their corner and claiming we can stop gun violence by becoming like "other countries" and taking guns away. And the right is saying we need more guns or hardened targets. These arguments have been made on both sides at nauseum.

What needs to happen is comprehensive mental health and mental healthcare reform. You can track every post with a keyword about elections and Covid but you can't create an algorithm that detects hate speech and threats of violence? I don't believe it.... just like I don't believe twitter has only 5% bots and Biden got the most votes in US history.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

This one is hurting...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            My wife was asked to move this school year to DAEP (District Alternative Education Program), which is the next step after ISS, as an alternative to long term suspension. The DAEP rooms (for HS and MS) are located in portable buildings across the street from the main HS building.

THREE of the kids that are currently in the DAEP classroom are there BECAUSE they made death threats at school.

I asked my wife to text the principal to find out what additional precautions and security is being provided for the last two days of school to avoid a copycat. He replied that they are providing additional security for the campus, but I'm concerned how much will be focused on the main campus building as opposed to the DAEP portables on the outskirts. There are times she's in the portables alone with the kids. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that these days.

Your wife is a saint.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
              Kids are the result of bad parenting. My wife, retired pediatric office manager, has had to go to the waiting room and tell a parent they have to change the shirt to inside out. The reason was the front side said f### you. I have no answers, but adults are the problem. JMO once again.
              So true Mark!!

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                **** Joe Biden.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                And ALL democrats. A dirty blight on this country.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                  Prayers for all those hurting today.

Sad part is this will be debated and argued. Like everything in this country the far left will project their ideology and so will the far right.

The rest of us, just trying to live, will continue to get the Bravo Sierra served up to us.

Can someone tell me how in this day in age, post Sandy-Hook, every school in the U.S has not established a controlled entry and exit point?

When my youngest graduated, I'd be lying to say a small breath of relief came to me. Her high school implemented a solid plan of guest entry and exit. You have to go through two secure doors before you actually in the building. I thought great, only to have my kiddo explain that the cafeteria rear door and other doors were unsecure.

All points of entry into a public building need to be secure, and if its a gun free zone armed security must be present. All ISDs need to have a rapid reaction force, and each school must have armed staff ready to be first responders.

I realize this sounds extreme, but if control who enters and exits this school had been in place, with armed staff, and a rapid reaction force were in place, would there have been any other deaths besides the shooter and his Grandmother who was outside of the school?

Sorry for the long post, but tired of this crap. And we as Texans need to do more with mental health and protecting our love ones.

Again, prayer sent for all those directly impacted an those indirectly hurting this evening.
                  Terrible situation and my prayers are going out for anyone affected by this.

I know that most new schools are designed with controlled entry in mind. The problem is the older schools, which in Uvalde’s case is the elementary school, they have to try to retro fit older buildings to modern problems. That means a lot of possible entry points that can easily be left unmanaged. Sad to have to even consider that, but unfortunately it’s where we are.

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                    We absolutely know that's not happening. Maybe arming teachers in some states will happen but you still need a plan B. Teaching mindset, improvised weapons, and empty hand tactics in a non permissive environment is the least we can do.

The districts are so driven by liability worries very few would ever allow armed teachers. I think it's an issue best tackled on the state level.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk
                    Texas has the guardian program and the Marshal program. My district just adopted the Guardian program.
                    Last edited by CoachS; 05-24-2022, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Active shooter in Uvalde

Shane,
                      I want any and all LE to get there and get there fast but first and foremost I want those children properly locked down and inaccessible to a gunman.
                      Last edited by Ætheling; 05-24-2022, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                        People focus extensively on the school part. What happens when a shooter steps onto a bus full of students that become trapped inside with no where to go? That has been my biggest worry for years.
                        I’m a former school bus driver. Would still be doing it now if it wasn’t for Parkinson’s. I was a driver for Connally ISD just north of Waco for 8 years. Our school district chief of police explained to us that as bus drivers, our number 1 priority is to keep the kids safe. If it means laying down our lives to do so then so be it. He told us that if we did not feel comfortable with that, then leave now. Unfortunately, not all school districts are like Connally. I drove for a different school district for 1 year outside of San Antonio and not once was bus security even mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
                          Happens more than people know. Same thing happened to my wife teaching a grade school class in a Houston suburb. Won't name it but think Apollo rockets. GRADE SCHOOL kid with a history of problems brought a knife to stab a classmate. Administration was going to put him back in class. She said you do, I quit; they tried another class and all the teachers said no. Kid needs help and he isn't getting it in our classroom. Refer him to an alternate program. Administrators need to be empowered and not be afraid of offending. And oh yeah, bring back the paddles.
                          This is a tale as old as time and was going on way before the 2000's. I'm a Santa Fe, Tx Graduate, in Jr. High you might as well painted a bullseye on my back bc I had cokebottle glasses and was taught not to rough house bc I was big for my age. This one sum beach a grade or two up constantly picked on me and even though I tried to get the teacher involved he was a popular kid and "wouldn't do what you say he's doing" according to her.

One day he slapped the glasses off my face. Now in those days fighting was a $200 ticket and I didn't have $200, but I was raised in sale barns and cow pens so I did the next best thing...

I walked to the office, opened the principal's door and turned the room blue with every obscenity I'd ever heard at those places and a few that I made on the fly and gave him both barrels calling him everything but a white man. I should of got 20 swats for all I said about him and his teaching staff and I would of asked for 20 more bc I wasn't done chewing him out. The ISS guy knew us from those same pens was in the room and called my Mom, she couldn't understand what was going on with all the noise of my triade (She swears to this day I sounded like Dad in my cussing fit...)

They wanted to slap his hand and suspend me, then they had their meeting with Mom, Principal figured it was safer to just send me home to get away from her. We get home, I'm expecting the belting of my life but instead I was shown two hundred dollar bills and instructions of if he looks at you wrong knock him on his arse. He figured out real quick my give a dam was busted and went looking elsewhere for mischief.

I didn't take a gun to school...

I knew the pocket knife in my pocket was for cutting hay string or using around the ranch...

I might of been raised in those sale barns and cow pens but I WAS RAISED

When I did wrong I was more afraid of my folks then the school. But if the School did wrong I knew who had my back. That's why I tempted faith and chewed on the administrator that needed it when he didn't have the backbone to nip it in the bud. There is to many parent's wanting to be their kid's friends and not their role model where they don't go looking for the wrong ones to follow.

And yes I feel like the punishment's should be higher for these shooters. Pagourtzis' parents are just delaying facing the facts that they didn't raise their son and he's just tucked away in a mental hospital for the foreseeable future. Bet he was incarcerated without possibility of parole or that these soft targets will bite back and I bet a lot of these shooters would think differently.

Comment

Jesus is the answer

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              My wife was asked to move this school year to DAEP (District Alternative Education Program), which is the next step after ISS, as an alternative to long term suspension. The DAEP rooms (for HS and MS) are located in portable buildings across the street from the main HS building.

THREE of the kids that are currently in the DAEP classroom are there BECAUSE they made death threats at school.

I asked my wife to text the principal to find out what additional precautions and security is being provided for the last two days of school to avoid a copycat. He replied that they are providing additional security for the campus, but I'm concerned how much will be focused on the main campus building as opposed to the DAEP portables on the outskirts. There are times she's in the portables alone with the kids. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that these days.
                              You shouldn’t be comfortable with it.

Comment

Our school district built a new Jr High about 3 years ago & they designed it in a way that they can create a safe zone under lockdown. My understanding of it is if there is a threat or suspicion they can move the kids to a lockdown area that is safe & cuts off any entry points
                                Of course design & intent is one thing but live situation is another
                                I’m not sure if they do random evacuations like the old fire or tornado drills
                                At least they put some thought into this

Comment

Working...
                                X