Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LostHawg View Post
    First off, it was NOT a "bad" regulation. If having a 40# minimum is bad, then not having a minimum at all is IRRESPONSIBLE.

Shoot, now its legal to take a plastic matel suction cup bow, pull the cups off and put a 7/8" bh on the front and you're legal!!!

I see very little good coming of this!
    SWEET!

Means I can get rid of this Mathews and free up the money I have tied up in it and get one of those cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Africanbowhunter View Post
      TP&W has dropped the 40# weight limit for bowhunting equipment.

Texas Bowhunters have united to fight a bad regulation

Thanks to Howie Smith and his daughter jasmine, and all the other parents and friends who have support this grassroots action.

While there has been wide spread objection to this rule, the action started with Howie Smith post here

Congratulations Howie

Jasmine can now plan on bowhunting deer with her new Mathews bow

We Won!!

Thanks to all those how have helped

Tink
      I think we actually LOST!

Comment

What he said! ^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Brotherbill View Post
          I disagree. But thats just my opinion based on what I have seen in my time. I hope I dont eat the words but shot placement and the right training are the key. Good broadheads are a must.
          The problem we have today is that most adults didnt get the right training the right knowledge and picked up a bow and learned. How do we learn?? By making mistakes. I can almost bet that no one on this forums has made the perfect shot everytime. I know darn well I have had some oh chit shots a few times. I know a few guys that can drill a traget at 60 yards time afetr time. But put them in the stand and they wound game. They are shooting 70 pound bows and can shoot.
          Hunting and shooting though the same are not. Lauren my five year old can tellyou how to catch a hog,,where to set the wire and how much corn to put in your trap..can she trap yet..No because I wont let her. BUT I will teach her and when I am confident she can do it she can run traps herself.
          Same theory with her bow she knows what to do knows how but she isnt going to hunt till I as a parent knows shes ready.
          To think that alot of yahoos are going to just go and get a cheap bow so they can hunt and hunt at a lower poundage and wound deer dont kid yourself. How we raise our kids and our kids friends will change the future.
          I dont understand why they made no draw weight limits butI am glad for alot of the other people.You will have the good and the bad with all things. Same as I feel about mechanichal broadheads..

Comment

I agree and I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

The only way to offset this mistake is to require bowhunter education. That class should go into extensive depth about shot placement, sharp broadheads, etc.

=(

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Draw2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	23833414
                Colton has grown out of this 15 pounder if anyone has a kid they want to take deer hunting

Comment

That's funny B.A.R.!

I wonder how many people were against low or no draw weights when they had good shoulders but suddenly were for them when they couldn't wipe their butt without wincing.

I'm out. My last post on this thread. It was good knowing ya'll.

I love everybody*

*except Prosser

Comment

Agreed. I hope them passing this doesnt come back and bite us.

Comment

Name:	kill anythiing.JPG
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	23833437

Name:	lets go.JPG
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	23833438
                      I'm ready Dad!

Comment

saw on the thread somewhere that someone said there is no minimum for rifles ? I haven't hunted in Texas much, with rifles, but I just am wondering if that is true or not. Where I am originally from there is a draw weight minimum and rifle minimum. It is a long standing debate, nothing takes the place of a well placed shot (more power, bigger cutting diameter, etc). Unfortunately laws like this will never be over-turned, due to the fact that it would require the politician to not take as much time in voting their $35g a year payraises

Comment

The rule is centerfire. Any centerfire round is legal.

Comment

Crap so I have to go tell Colton no pellet guns?? Well he still has his bow

Comment

Originally posted by BustedAssRanch View Post
                              Crap so I have to go tell Colton no pellet guns?? Well he still has his bow
                              Maybe you can get him one of those blowguns instead of his pellet gun. Make sure you get him some of those little "cheesy" plastic broadhead points that they offer with those things.
                              >E

Comment

I agree!!! The minimum should be raised to 70# on compounds and 100# on trade gear. That's the only way to insure good penetration with all the different broadheads on the market.

On second thought, after reading all of this we should just make it 100# on everything. Hunters are just plain dumb and we should not take it for granted that any of them might have a lick of sense. Heck they wouldn't know the difference between a compound and a long bow if it bit them on the butt!
                                Last edited by Cotton; 03-30-2008, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X