Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Africanbowhunter View Post
    Why would ask a real bowhuner like Jasmine smith to use a crossbow when she has ALREADY killed 9 hogs with her Parker compound? get real!
    this is not a crossbow thread so sir- Please stick to the subject OK?

Thanks

TINK
    Hey Tink

The other option is kids could be like the past Pres of SCI Gary or uncle Ted when they hunted South Africa for Rhino, since SA had poundage restrictions that they couldn't they just lied about their poundage.

I agree the 40# restriction is outdated, here is a pic of my 7 yr old, he was pulling 29 lbs.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mudshack View Post
      Or they could carry a calibrated target, set at a calibrated distance, and have the "said hunter" shoot the target.

This would prove more than just the capability of the bow.

If mythbusters can create a gel that is equivilant to a human body, I am sure someone can create a target block for GW's to keep in their trucks.
      Hey, I'm a calibration (metrology) engineer. I could come up with something...

Comment

South Africa never had pound restrictions for the last 12 years Sir- it was based on kinetic energy, FYI.

Dang fine blue WB

tell him well Done

Bruce Barrie son of Robert Barrie who was with Herters Archery at the time, at the time killed a huge 500# Class Back bear with his 29# Herters recurve, too. when he was 11 I think

The arrow kills the game, not the bow.
        Last edited by Africanbowhunter; 02-06-2008, 11:24 PM.

Comment

My son was at 34# at the beginning of archery season. Shooting 25 shots per day and adding a small turn each day he was pulling 40 in just over a week. He then went out and took his first buck . Game wardens have a full boat already during hunting season. A simple bow scale is the easiest way for them to check. A dedicated child can increase there bow weight by 10# relatively easy. The 40# is for all bows not just compounds and although it heartbreaking when they are so close, it is the law.

Comment

For Devin ,

I actually started a thread earlier about this subject for two reasons.

1. Too try to inform Bowhunters whats going on and encourage them to get involved and go to one of the meetings.
            2. I (EC council member) also agree with Mark about reducing(not eliminating) the draw weight!

Brad Adams
            Region 78

Go to a meeting be heard!!

Here's a list of all the public metings.

Sorted by City — Sort by Date

All meetings begin at 7 p.m. City Date Location
            Alpine February 29, 2008 Alpine ISD Auditorium, 704 W Sul Ross Ave.
            Amarillo March 7, 2008 Gander Mountain, 210300 I-40 W.
            Andrews March 10, 2008 Lincoln Center, 400 NE Ave J
            Athens March 3, 2008 Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center, Education Center, 5550 FM 2277
            Austin March 5, 2008 TPWD HQ, Commissioners Hearing Room, 4200 Smith School Rd
            Beaumont February 25, 2008 Jefferson County Courthouse, Ted Walker Jury Impaneling Room, 1149 Pearl Street
            Dallas February 27, 2008 Bass Pro Shop Conference Room, 5001 Bass Pro Drive, Garland
            Dickinson February 29, 2008 TPWD Dickinson Marine Lab, 1502 Pine St. (FM 517)
            Houston March 12, 2008 North Harris College, 2700 W.W. Thorne Dr., Houston
            Laredo February 25, 2008 Huisache Boy Scout Camp, E. U.S. Hwy 59
            Lubbock March 5, 2008 Lubbock County Courthouse, Commissioners Courtroom - 5th Floor, 904 Broadway
            Mason March 3, 2008 Mason County Courthouse, County Courtroom, 201 Ft. McKavett
            Mission February 29, 2008 World Birding Center, 2800 S. Bentsen Dr.
            Nacogdoches February 29, 2008 Commissioners Courtroom-Rm. 170, 101 W. Main
            San Angelo March 14, 2008 Texas A&M Research Center, 7887 US Hwy. 87 N.
            San Antonio March 7, 2008 Lions Field Center, 2809 Broadway
            Seminole February 25, 2008 Ambassador Room, 101 East Avenue A
            Sherman March 12, 2008 Grayson County Courthouse, 100 W. Houston
            Spearman March 3, 2008 Hansford County Courthouse, District Courtroom - 3rd Floor, 16 NW Court St.
            Tulia March 11, 2008 Swisher County Courthouse, Extension Service Meeting Room 310 W. Broadway
            Waco March 14, 2008 McLennan County Courthouse, Commissioners Courtroom, 501 Washington Ave.
            Wichita Falls March 5, 2008 Northwest Texas Field and Stream, 2005 Southwest Parkway

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

Comment

Roxanne is 40 mother of 4 can cannot pull 40#

Roxanne is 4'10" tall aged 39 mother of 4 kids and cannot and I mean cannot pull40# he wons two Mathews bows and won an award at indoor shooting

She just cannot draw more than 31# but she is a better shot than I am

This is her first bow Kill

Roxanne's 31# Mathews bow pushed her arrow clear thru for a PASS THRU @ 31# Clean kill Pass thru!!!

She works at Wal*Green photo counter in Kerrville if you want to meet her
              Tink
              Attached Files

Comment

There is always next year...whats the rush? she will be big enough one of these days to pull the weight.

Comment

No Way Sir She is 40 years old now and is starting to go down hill.

I will send her your post

Thanks and have a great day!

Comment

I will send her your post

Thanks and have a great day!
                    I bet she is going to hate learning she is Going down hill

Comment

Geesh, glad I am only 28

Comment

Roxanne has back and shoulder problems that may be preventing her from drawing more weight. Her Hubby got her both an" Ignition' and a" Mustang" from Mathews in high hopes that
                        one would draw easier than another but to no avail.
                        Telling her to keep workin on her draw is like telling Tink to try and be taller!
                        Thanks all who read this

Tink

Comment

i really hate to get in the middle of this but i have to say something. i dont want any argument or dislike as its just my opinion.

i dont totally agree with lowering the draw weight,HOWEVER there are certain cercumstances. i beleive this is why the law has not yet passed to this day. there are so many different reasons why they should and should not lower it.
                          not an easy decision to be made either way. and you cannot please everyone as all of you know in everyday life.

the main problem i have with it is the parents who want to get their child out hunting quicker and bowhunting will allow them to do so. i do not know a kid who would not shoot at a deer at age 5 (just an example) if givin the opportunity. they do not understand the sciences behind it. they dont see the difference in the guy on tv and themselves. some parents do not know either. i think it is absolutely rediculous to have a child who at 7-8 years old is able to draw ,say 30 lbs?, but yet does not yet have the coordination to place the shot.

you can have the top of line equipment. broadheads sharper than a surgeons tools, the ultimate setup and camo, yet lack the ability to use your weapon. some people have it in their head that they can do it but truth is they are not yet prepared or skilled to use the weapon effectively. it does not take much of a wound to the gut or an artery to kill a deer EVENTUALLY. yes the animals are tough but not bullet, or arrow proof. any gut shot is deadly, it just takes more time.

now the good things.
                          there are some people that are not very strong or big enough to have the strength but have all the skill in the world at pulling off the shot. and this is where the argument comes in. you cannot tell the people that have been hunting for years and are now unable to pull 40lbs that they cannot hunt even though they have more skill than some of ourselves.

i would like to see the law get passed but then i have second thoughts about it. rule is if you are hunting with me then you must pass a shooting test. if you cannot place three arrows within a few inches of each other than you put the bow away and grab a gun or sit back and wathc. my deer are much more important to me than your feelings being hurt for a few hours. the also deserve more respect than that.

same with a gun but thats a whole different story. i would love nothing more than to see a child kill a deer with a bow, but its the worst feeling in the world to lose a deer and how would a kid feel if they lose their first deer ever? they may not want to shoot with a bow any longer.

i think the exception to the law is that you must pass a shooting test or something before you are granted a liscence to hunt with it. kind of rediculous/ maybe. but its the responsible thing to do. like i said above you may have the liscence, archery stamps, hell even the governors permission but if i dont think you are capable of ethically killing the intended target then you will not be shooting.

Comment

Good Post!

Great post but you cant lump all youth, for example as the same.

Take my son Jeff who being my only son got a lions share of attention he started young and when Jeff passed daddy proficiency test Jeff went hunt, first season was a dry run. second year he was winning NFAA Cub Class trophies and from the Cub Stakes killed all28 NFAA marvivof (sp) animal target.

the SECRET of bowhunting in getting close to you game so you never miss.

The next year Jeff at 6 ( he has a Jan 15th Birthday took 2 Whitetailed does and a fallow doe.

He shot a doe in tall grass and it dropped and stood up again Jeff sent a second arrow thru its neck and this time it stayed down. Next day he shot another yearling doe and bagged his state deer limit first 2 days of VA bow season.

Jeff hunted rabbits, squirrels groundhogs, fish and anything he coddle shoot if it was within 15 yards it was dead.

Again the secret of bowhunting was getting close His first kill was a possum in the back yard His jammas had feet in them as you can see. his bow was a Howatt Hi Speed Recurve 58" long, 42# @ 28" and about 20# at his draw yet it was deadly and he killed a lot of stuff with it.Got pass thru on 2 of his first 3 deer.

It goes without saying every bowhunter must be proficient with his bow.

if you hunt Military bases you will be tested with you bow or your don't hunt.

but the arbitrary 40# ball park limit was ill advised and is stupid.

The American Plains Indian sued bow of maybe 30# flat bows and they killed bison deer elk bear and settles and US Army Mounted Calvary Troopers.

the SHARP broadheads does the killing not the bow.
                            Back east they say if you can kill a groundhog with a bow you can kill a deer!

pix of mu kids and game shot with 20 25 7 30# stick bows, which are not as powerful as a compound bow.
                            good post

Tink Nathan
                            Attached Files

Comment

i think the weight limit is fine and should be left alone. any less than 40 lbs. could lower the ke whick would leave more animals wounded

Comment

Not Sure of that. A 30# Compound has more KE than a 40# Longbow which is legal Sir. Did you read the entire thread?

The elder, infirm, youths, etc can usually shoot a 30# bow better than a 40# .

Which is more lethal?

A arrow from 30# compound well-place in the vital in a deer or a arrow from a 40# in the back, hip, gut or back leg because the shooter was over bowed?

The most likely class of shooter to wound a deer with a bow in a 55 year old male who has been bowhunting for 17 year said Gladfelter ( now deceased) in a report on wounded deer Gun & Bow deer loss in Deer & Deer Hunting magazine.

Lee Gladfelter was a biologist for Iowa DNR. Also a bowhunter too!

Women & Youth lost the least amount of deer since they were supervised by a husband or parent and there were 2 of them to recover game.

Thanks

Tink

Comment

Working...
                                X