Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking a road trip with only a paper map.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just received two new maps for upcoming road trips. After looking them over I will say this, Google has spoiled us.

Comment

I keep an atlas in my trucks.

Comment

thanks funny earlier this year my son went to houston on the way back phone messed up and called could not figure out how to get home told him to get a map he said i was crazy when i told him thats how we did it and using a mapsco would have made his mind blown

Comment

I look at the route on the computer prior to going anywhere and "map" out the route I want to take there first.

Comment

Not this cat. F a map. And yes, I can use one.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              I still have a road atlas in my truck.
              Yep. Been all over the US using one.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                I still have a road atlas in my truck.
                Me too! haven't used it in a decade or 2 but still there!!!

Comment

I trust GPS, but still verify the route on a map. GPS dont always take me the route I want to go. Roads of Texas still rides in the pocket behind the passenger seat.

Comment

I like and use the GPS on my truck but carry an atlas so I can see the big picture. In 2005, I evacuated my elderly parents from Port Neches just before Hurricane Rita. We headed back for N. Texas. The highways were a mess. I pulled out my atlas and took back roads up through East Texas, then circled north of DFW back to Decatur. We rarely slowed down unlike all the folks stranded on the major highways and interstates. Map reading is a great skill to have.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

No surprise at all.

Most folks that have grown up in the iPhone age never used one.

Let them get a glimpse of our struggles back in the day.
                      In my Truck driving days I had to find Jobsites in the Booneys using a hand drawn map with written instructions. A Road Atlas or the Backroads of Texas Atlas was helpful but ultimately I just had to sort it out myself!

Comment

It's nice to look through ours and see all of the highlighted routes we have taken! You also get the big picture instead of having to pan out ! Though with my eyes aging it is a must to keep our magnifying glass with the map!

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
                          I keep an atlas in my trucks.
                          I carry Texas, New Mexico and Arizona atlas with me when hunting or traveling. I am a little old fashioned and love to see how I might be able to go cross country and avoid major highways.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post

I carry Texas, New Mexico and Arizona atlas with me when hunting or traveling. I am a little old fashioned and love to see how I might be able to go cross country and avoid major highways.
                            Adios,
                            Gary
                            Same here, I like the back roads.

Comment

Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
                              The Roads of Texas map is a goodun
                              I carried one for years in my truck. If I’m planning a trip, I still use an atlas to see which way I want to go. I don’t really like the navigation in vehicles for everything. I usually will look at a map and then use the navigation in cities that I’m not familiar with. ……and that’s most of them.

Comment

We grew up using paper maps to plan trips all over the place and as an added activity, Dad and Mom had us plan how far we could go in one day and figure out where we would stop for the night. Lots of skills learned with this activity!

Comment

Working...
                                X