Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking a road trip with only a paper map.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were talking the other day about how many people don't understand fractions well enough to read a tape measure, in 20 years almost no one will. many things that those of us older know how to do that will be completely lost. I do love my GPS though

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
      Brings back memories of the key maps

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Yep. Anytime we got a quote on anything needing delivery, you had to give the page and section from the KeyMap.

I learned to navigate Houston with a keymap and the southern US with a good old fashioned atlas. Still have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's awesome I think every kid should know how to use a map. You never know when you won't have technology to rely on.

Comment

In 1994 when I started driving semi coast to coast all we had was paper maps.

Comment

Years ago, I was on the way to Colorado on a hunt. My friend was going to check on the map to see how far we had to go to get to the next town. The windows were down. As soon as he opened the map, a gust of wind whipped through the truck and out goes the map. I just looked at my friend and said I'm glad I know he way.

Comment

I actually miss using the Roads of Texas atlas that I used to carry in my truck. It rode nicely between the drivers seat and my center console. That thing got me onto so many backroads that I never would have traveled without it. Our modern navigation systems are really nice, and we always seem to be in more of a hurry to get to where we are going these days, so we sacrifice the enjoyment of the road trip to some degree.

Comment

My dad had a key map I think it was called when I was young. Basically a binder and the map was on pages. You’d get to the edge of the page(Say D-23) and would have to flip to a Serrano page to resume your nagigation(maybe M-56). I used to sit in the back seat and follow along the map using cross streets for my reference. Good times.

Comment

Great idea and fun idea dad!!!!

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  No surprise at all.

Most folks that have grown up in the iPhone age never used one.

Let them get a glimpse of our struggles back in the day.
                  Heck, 95% of the grown men can't use a compass! Technology moves on, thus I understand it. All it really says is their is a bunch of TBH guys on here in the 4th quarter of life and some are in overtime!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    Great idea and fun idea dad!!!!

Heck, 95% of the grown men can't use a compass! Technology moves on, thus I understand it. All it really says is their is a bunch of TBH guys on here in the 4th quarter of life and some are in overtime!!!

Harsh, but 100% true.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      I still have a road atlas in my truck.

Nice. Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, it was called a key map!

Went and googled it. They are still kicking.

New 2023 Key Map 10% Larger Size Atlas, we have added 12 Brand New Key Map pages to complete Toll 99 in the Northeast, and additional pages to Katy outskirts on the West.    Just Released July 2023   Houston Map Company 1212 Durham Dr, Houston 77007 713-522-7949,   

By the time I was 16+ GPS was a thing. My buddies and I made multiple road trips from Houston to Breckinridge, CO for “college ski week”. Think we went three years in a row. We had the GPS, but we also printed out Mapquest directions. Only one vehicle of the 3 had the GPS, so if we got separated we reverted to the Mapquest directions. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post
                          I actually miss using the Roads of Texas atlas that I used to carry in my truck. It rode nicely between the drivers seat and my center console. That thing got me onto so many backroads that I never would have traveled without it. Our modern navigation systems are really nice, and we always seem to be in more of a hurry to get to where we are going these days, so we sacrifice the enjoyment of the road trip to some degree.

Yep, Roads of Texas was essential when out in the rural areas. When I first moved to DFW, a Mapsco got me around the Metroplex

Comment

Growing up as a military brat we all got our chance at navigating on the constant moves around the nation/states. Dad did his own ball & chain days before and acted like he was paying attention to our directions..........lol!!!
                            Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
                            The Roads of Texas map is a goodun
                            Yep, I had one for each state i covered while in the ag chemical business. Still have them plus national Atlas, etc. THANK GOD we have moved on, but the memories are fun.

Comment

Paper maps caused a lot of hollering and fighting with other people in the same vehicle.

Comment

We use them at work on rare occasions. It's always fun to give one to a fresh out of school newbie and see what they do.

Comment

Working...
                                X