If you could go back ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    I graduated hi school in 72. The 70's were wild for sure. Sex drugs and rock and roll. Had a blast. But I believe we are living in the most exciting awesome time in the history of the world right now. I pay little attention to the St. Elmo's fire static electricity of negativity everyone tries to garner your attention with. Opportunity abounds in everyway today and I've learned to be happy irrespective of external circumstance.
    I agree with this, elgato! We can choose to see things half full or half empty. It amazes and disappoints me when I see folks on here spew so much venom toward people who hold different (political) views, even disavowing former friendships.

We can be happy or we can be miserable; our choice.

Comment

Graduated in 79. Sure did love seeing girls in hiphuggin bellbottoms!

No I would not go back.

Comment

I turned 16 and got a drivers license 9 days into 1970. It opened up a whole new world as it does for most 16 year olds. First car, girls, the best music and many other great things including marrying my wife in the ladder part of the 70s were part of it. Many great and sweet memories from back then but that is what they are and no, I wouldn't want to go back. I'm content to let God's plan continue moving forward as it is intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
          At least back then drag racing involved cars.
          Yep and queers still ****’d in the closet

Comment

I would if I could do a few things differently. I would have dropped out of school after my sophomore year. Gotten my ged and joined the army earlier with a different mos.

Comment

I would in a heartbeat. Sure I’m in a better place financially that I have ever been but my stress level is much higher than it’s ever been too.

And society just sucks today. I’ve never seen so much vitriol in my life time and I squarely blame it on the politicians, media and social media. It sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I still remember when going to the store was a big deal, make your self halfway presentable before going in. Now , go into the store and people wearing bed clothes, house slippers, hair all matted down and nasty. Ain’t nobody brought a dog in the store, no one had a cell phone buried in their ear blocking the aisle and you could ask for help and get it. Lol, I miss Western Auto stores too.

Comment

The 70's weren't all good. Only about 95%. Graduated high school in '65. Went to college and about 2 years in got my draft notice. Figured if I got drafted, I'd wind up in VietNam. So I joined the NAVY (Uncle Sam's canoe club). Got assigned to an flight crew. Still wound up in 'Nam. My 2 roommates in college got their letters about the same time. (Our local draft board couldn't meet their quotas, so they started pulling college students). One joined the marines, while the other went into the army. My army buddy was exposed to 'Agent Orange'. He's a complete basket case, both mentally and physically . I have not heard from or about my marine buddy since I got out. But if I could avoid 'Nam, I would go back in a New York minute !!

Comment

Originally posted by jfk47 View Post
                    The 70's weren't all good. Only about 95%. Graduated high school in '65. Went to college and about 2 years in got my draft notice. Figured if I got drafted, I'd wind up in VietNam. So I joined the NAVY (Uncle Sam's canoe club). Got assigned to an flight crew. Still wound up in 'Nam. My 2 roommates in college got their letters about the same time. (Our local draft board couldn't meet their quotas, so they started pulling college students). One joined the marines, while the other went into the army. My army buddy was exposed to 'Agent Orange'. He's a complete basket case, both mentally and physically . I have not heard from or about my marine buddy since I got out. But if I could avoid 'Nam, I would go back in a New York minute !!
                    I also gradumacated high school in 1965. How did you get a draft notice while you were in college? While the local draft boards had plenty of control over who they drafted, they still had to defer students. You automatically had a student deferment until you completed your studies. That happened to me. Within a few months of graduating, after starting a great job, and with a baby on the way, I received a notice to report for a physical. I failed the physical and received a 1-Y deferment for one year. During that year they enacted the lottery, and I had a high number...never heard from them again.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                      Hmmmmmm?
                      Dang Rob! You found my old belt!

Comment

Just saw a new thread about the new census. Time to pack up and head back to the 70's

Comment

I grew up watching the news and every night it was the Vietnam war on the TV. I knew I was going to get drafted when I turned 18 in 76, but it ended before I was eligible. I was still aware of it when I grew up and afraid, I would have to go. The best bands that ever walked on the planet were in their prime back then though. The Eagles, Foreigner, Boston, Aerosmith, Kansas, Styx, Journey, Peter Frampton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zeplin, ZZ Top, ELO, AC DC, Chicago, Fleetwood Mac and many more. The music alone is reason enough to go back for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            I also gradumacated high school in 1965. How did you get a draft notice while you were in college? While the local draft boards had plenty of control over who they drafted, they still had to defer students. You automatically had a student deferment until you completed your studies. That happened to me. Within a few months of graduating, after starting a great job, and with a baby on the way, I received a notice to report for a physical. I failed the physical and received a 1-Y deferment for one year. During that year they enacted the lottery, and I had a high number...never heard from them again.
                            When I received my notice to report for a physical, My Dad and I went to the Draft Board to show them my student deferment. My draft board covered a bunch of small towns. We were told that they would honor the student deferment as long as they could meet their quota with non student draft eligible personel. She said they had exhausted that supply and had to start drafting students. She said that the student deferment was not a guarantee you would be exempt from the draft. It just put you at the end of the line, so to speak. My two roommates and I were all from the same small town (Hallettsville) (hello Michael) and we all got our letter within a month of each other.

Comment

When I received my notice to report for a physical, My Dad and I went to the Draft Board to show them my student deferment. My draft board covered a bunch of small towns. We were told that they would honor the student deferment as long as they could meet their quota with non student draft eligible personel. She said they had exhausted that supply and had to start drafting students. She said that the student deferment was not a guarantee you would be exempt from the draft. It just put you at the end of the line, so to speak. My two roommates and I were all from the same small town (Hallettsville) (hello Michael) and we all got our letter within a month of each other.
                              That's interesting because my google stated that the student deferment was not based on the local draft boards. I guess my goggier is worn out.

On another note, I went to college with Frank and his younger brother Richard Pustka. Did you know them? I know Frank (my class) did not get drafted while he was in college.

Comment

I also graduated in '65. I wasn't going to college so I enlisted in the Air Force. I would go back.

Comment

Working...
                                X