Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonW View Post
    You sure about that?

650 hens, automatic doors, automatic lights, automatic feeder with 1 ton hopper, automatic lights, rollout nest boxes that close automatically at night, conveyer for egg collection, and can be pulled by a sideXside to fresh grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by JonW View Post

This one holds up to 400 hens. Not quite as many features, but has automatic lights and doors, waterers, rollout nest boxes, and feeder auger that turns with impact drill.

Now THAT's some serious egg plant right there!!

I built one that has automatic waterers, feeder, auto door and all those features that houses my wife's 15 hens... Built it like a deer stand and put hardware cloth on the upper exposed windows... T-111 siding door, metal roof with green trim... Nesting boxes hang on the side and can be emptied from the outside of the chicken house... Auto feed/water inside the house too JIC (Just in case for Burnadel) the auto door fails to open and let 'em out... Also have heat and fans along with lighting...

I'll see if I can find some finished pics... This was before roof, window coverings, trim and paint...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicken Coop-022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	24707792

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

I built one that has automatic waterers, feeder, auto door and all those features that houses my wife's 15 hens... Built it like a deer stand and put hardware cloth on the upper exposed windows... T-111 siding door, metal roof with green trim... Nesting boxes hang on the side and can be emptied from the outside of the chicken house... Auto feed/water inside the house too JIC (Just in case for Burnadel) the auto door fails to open and let 'em out... Also have heat and fans along with lighting...

I'll see if I can find some finished pics... This was before roof, window coverings, trim and paint...

[ATTACH]1119818[/ATTACH]
      More pics man! That’s cool

Comment

I'm sorry to say, I do not have any recent good pics of the chicken house I built, but it's basically like the deer stands I built... all square tubing frame welded up... This one has a galvanized expanded metal floor, with auto feed, water, heat, fans, door... It is designed so that we can be gone for a week or more at a time and the chickens will be fine (except losing the eggs if someone doesn't gather them for us).
        Here are some pics during the build that should give everyone an idea of the features... I don't think any of the pics show the window flaps, but the upper openings covered with the 1/2" square hardware cloth (rabbit wire) all have flaps that can be lowered/locked as necessary.
        The Auto Door has a PLC that has the Lat/Lon coordinates loaded into it so that once set up, it compensates for the change of sunrise/sunset, even daylight saving time... It has been in operation continuously since 2016 without any real issues... had to return the controller for the door for repair once, but it was repaired and returned within 4 days...

Name:	Chicken coop-002 (2).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	24707793

Name:	Chicken coop-003 (2).jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	24707794

Name:	Chicken coop-005 (2).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	24707795

Name:	Chicken coop-006 (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	24707796

Name:	Chicken coop-009 (2).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	24707797

Name:	Chicken coop-013 (2).jpg
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	24707798

Comment

The watering and feeding systems are gravity fed. The auto door has a battery back up. They can get water inside the house or outside in the coop via chicken nipples (I didn't even know chickens had nipples!) All the panels in the laying boxes are removable without tools for easy cleaning... Lights/heat are on timers.
          It was a fun project!

Got many ideas off a website my wife sound when researching what to do to raise chickens... If you really want to entertain yourself and discover a whole other world of people out there, go to www.backyardchickens.com ... Some STRANGE folks there, BUT you can learn everything you'd ever want to know and more (some things you maybe didn't want to know) about chickens on that site...

Comment

The overriding thing about most of the coop/pen/feeder projects on that site is most are trying to build what they want out of free/scrap/the cheapest way possible... That was NOT my motivation, though after my wife found a site in a link on backyard chickens that you can spec out a custom chicken house and filled out their spec sheet and hit the "Total" button... got a little over $8,000!!! I told her that I didn't think we needed an 8 grand chicken house and I thought I could build one that was adequate... well maybe saving a little money was part of my motivation...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

[ATTACH]1119818[/ATTACH]

Great job, that’s a nice setup!

Comment

Working...
              X