No announcement yet.

City Chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want 3, get 6. I've got 6 Rhode Island Reds and am getting another 3 for our small area. We let them out a couple hours when home. They aren't loud unless they are out of food/water, or a predator is nearby. They are the best pets ever, but will poop all over your back porch if you let them free range.

Comment

If you’re good with below then carry on. This is based on backyard setups.

Weekly coupe clean outs and disposal of a lot of crap.
      Changing water every other day if not daily cause they crap in it
      Feeding and caring for 20+ weeks for egg production to start
      Feathers all over yard when molting
      Expensive feed
      Flies by the thousands all during warmer months
      Crap all over your porch, chairs, etc if you let them out
      And hens can/will be loud and annoying for long durations throughout the day
      If you get 6 hens expect about an average of 3-4 eggs per day mostly

Not trying to discourage you just stating what comes with them.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
        We probably eat 5-6 eggs every breakfast.
        to hit that daily consumption most days out of the year you'd probably want to shoot for 7 to 9 hens. 8 would be good if you start with the year old cinnamon queens.

Comment

We looked into doing the same thing. Turned out eggs from heb were cheaper.

Comment

Our free-range chickens made very tasty eggs; bright yellow yoke. HEB eggs do not compare.
            Side benefit (yes on flies) is that the chickens ate every grasshopper, cricket, scorpion, maggot, etc that they could, so we had a very low insect load.

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
              Waaaay cheaper and we have chickens!

Comment

We have 12 hens and a rooster, live in the city but on 4 acres so that makes it nice, we do like getting the fresh eggs but we also get a lot of joy with our grand kids, they just love the chickens.

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
                  My wife every 3-6 months suggests we get chickens. Every time, I walk her through what it costs in excel, and we update pricing together.

3 minutes later we decide to get our eggs from HEB or one of her co-workers. LOL

Comment

We have chickens but not because they are cheaper. We are on two acres with 18 of those things. But going to probably thin the heard when it warms up.

Comment

OK... Here is by far the best coop you can buy for chickens. I have one for 5 years now and it looks like new.
                      they are not cheap but will last.
                      Roost & Root is a premier builder of US Made high quality backyard chicken coops and urban farming products.

Next chickens are like bows or guns... everyone has an opinion.
                      Easter Eggers are cool, cheap, and produce

Chickens will go to roost every night. If you free range them.
                      IF you free range them your yard will look beautiful for the first few months. They will eat all the bugs and weeds. Crap all over and make a green yard..... BUT .. and BUT.. then they will start eating everything else... making dust baths in your flower beds. craping on your stuff... We used to and still do from time to time but for the most part they stay in the coop.

if you use the type of feeders shown on the page above and that type of waterer. you will not have issues with them.
                      I have 5 large birds now and 5 bantam birds.

All chickens will have time of molting or whatever where they become freeloading broody jerks. but other than that good feed fresh water and you are good

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                        We have 12 hens and a rooster, live in the city but on 4 acres so that makes it nice, we do like getting the fresh eggs but we also get a lot of joy with our grand kids, they just love the chickens.

Yeah, main reason is for the kiddos and they’re healthier

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                          OK... Here is by far the best coop you can buy for chickens. I have one for 5 years now and it looks like new.
                          they are not cheap but will last.
                          Roost & Root is a premier builder of US Made high quality backyard chicken coops and urban farming products.

Next chickens are like bows or guns... everyone has an opinion.
                          Easter Eggers are cool, cheap, and produce

Chickens will go to roost every night. If you free range them.
                          IF you free range them your yard will look beautiful for the first few months. They will eat all the bugs and weeds. Crap all over and make a green yard..... BUT .. and BUT.. then they will start eating everything else... making dust baths in your flower beds. craping on your stuff... We used to and still do from time to time but for the most part they stay in the coop.

if you use the type of feeders shown on the page above and that type of waterer. you will not have issues with them.
                          I have 5 large birds now and 5 bantam birds.

All chickens will have time of molting or whatever where they become freeloading broody jerks. but other than that good feed fresh water and you are good

These look nice. Noticed the poop just drops down into the run between the wire flooring. Is this better or something with bedding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want layed back chickens that lay a good amount of eggs get red star. If you want the most feed efficient possible white leghorns

Comment

Originally posted by tkuehn5410 View Post
                              If you want 3, get 6. I've got 6 Rhode Island Reds and am getting another 3 for our small area. We let them out a couple hours when home. They aren't loud unless they are out of food/water, or a predator is nearby. They are the best pets ever, but will poop all over your back porch if you let them free range.
                              I live in the city, had 5 hens and we let them out every day. They never went over the fence but my back porch and yard was covered in poo. We had way too many eggs and couldn’t give them away fast enough. The poop and flies drove me crazy. So we gave the chickens away and sold the very expense coop I built. Start small and cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                                My wife every 3-6 months suggests we get chickens. Every time, I walk her through what it costs in excel, and we update pricing together.

3 minutes later we decide to get our eggs from HEB or one of her co-workers. LOL
                                I’m spending $1 a dozen in feed. My initial start up cost was $500. So after 500 days I’ll finally make it to the eggs averaging around $2 a dozen. Definitely not some way cheaper way to get eggs and e we did it about the cheapest way possible. Most people buy a $1,000 coop

Comment

Working...
                                X