No announcement yet.

City Chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read that a person can cut their feed bill in half by making a mash outta it. What’s yalls take on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
      I read that a person can cut their feed bill in half by making a mash outta it. What’s yalls take on that.
      Ya maybe not 1/2 but it easy nuff. If scratch weren’t $17 that would help more but gotta use that corn instead of oil

Comment

Yeah, they are nasty. Can't let them be around the house.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Where do you get the year old chickens from and what do they cost?

We let our’s free range at the ranch and have lost 48 to predators. Most get taken out prior to laying age. Finally had 8 that were laying and staying alive until the battery died on the automatic coop door and they got locked out over night. Now we are down to 3.

We used to keep 7 in our back yard in. We had a 3 sided “coop” that held food and nesting boxes that I moved everyday so cleaning wasn’t an issue. We used an auto horse water so water wasn’t an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
            Where do you get the year old chickens from and what do they cost?

We let our’s free range at the ranch and have lost 48 to predators. Most get taken out prior to laying age. Finally had 8 that were laying and staying alive until the battery died on the automatic coop door and they got locked out over night. Now we are down to 3.

We used to keep 7 in our back yard in. We had a 3 sided “coop” that held food and nesting boxes that I moved everyday so cleaning wasn’t an issue. We used an auto horse water so water wasn’t an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            I paid $15 from an organic egg farm for ours. There are a bunch of local facebook chicken sites where a lot of people will talk about them. Also, keep your eye on craigslist and facebook marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
              We ferment ours.. In the past we would feed one big scoop of feed a day. Now they eat about half a scoop with some left over in the pan. We also throw all kitchen scraps in the pen. I let them out when I'm home to eat grass and bugs. For bedding we use saw dust or shavings.. every February I take the top 2 inches of dirt, poop etc out of the pen and till it into my garden. Then I'll back fill with sand.. Our chicken coop is a 18 by 21
              free standing carport that I enclosed and a 20 x 20 open area that's fenced.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Speaking of free ranging them. They will ruin your yard. They will scratch out holes to dust themselves in. Been there, that's why I raise quail now.
                How many quail eggs does it take to make a large omelet?

Comment

You'll have to ask Chew. I incubate all of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                    How many quail eggs does it take to make a large omelet?
                    About 10
                    Had 15 hens last year. Averaged 13 eggs per day.
                    Water glassed a lot, pickled a lot ate a lot and still have quite a few in the freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                      How good are they at cleaning deer skulls?
                      If you have a bunch, it doesnt take long. Dont feed the chickens and they will pick it clean

Comment

Ok, you fellers are going about it all wrong. I have 10 free ranging and 5 permenantly in a coop. I have a spincast set up. I fill the spincast up every couple of months. The cooped chickens get fed once a day. An old garage is where all the chickens roost. Very little work. I just pulled a dozen eggs, left 4 in the nest. A few minutes of work every few days. Not bad for some fresh eggs.

I have some Lavenders, a Leghorn, somekind of small silver chicken. They all lay pretty much every day. In the coop I have an Old English Bantam cross, a Lav hen and a Leghorn/Arracana cross.

The spincast is the way to go

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                          OK... Here is by far the best coop you can buy for chickens. I have one for 5 years now and it looks like new.
                          they are not cheap but will last.
                          Roost & Root is a premier builder of US Made high quality backyard chicken coops and urban farming products.

Next chickens are like bows or guns... everyone has an opinion.
                          Easter Eggers are cool, cheap, and produce

Chickens will go to roost every night. If you free range them.
                          IF you free range them your yard will look beautiful for the first few months. They will eat all the bugs and weeds. Crap all over and make a green yard..... BUT .. and BUT.. then they will start eating everything else... making dust baths in your flower beds. craping on your stuff... We used to and still do from time to time but for the most part they stay in the coop.

if you use the type of feeders shown on the page above and that type of waterer. you will not have issues with them.
                          I have 5 large birds now and 5 bantam birds.

All chickens will have time of molting or whatever where they become freeloading broody jerks. but other than that good feed fresh water and you are good
                          WOW. Those are nice AND EXPENSIVE!!! Cheapest one is nearly $2K!

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                            OK... Here is by far the best coop you can buy for chickens. I have one for 5 years now and it looks like new.
                            they are not cheap but will last.
                            Roost & Root is a premier builder of US Made high quality backyard chicken coops and urban farming products.

Next chickens are like bows or guns... everyone has an opinion.
                            Easter Eggers are cool, cheap, and produce

Chickens will go to roost every night. If you free range them.
                            IF you free range them your yard will look beautiful for the first few months. They will eat all the bugs and weeds. Crap all over and make a green yard..... BUT .. and BUT.. then they will start eating everything else... making dust baths in your flower beds. craping on your stuff... We used to and still do from time to time but for the most part they stay in the coop.

if you use the type of feeders shown on the page above and that type of waterer. you will not have issues with them.
                            I have 5 large birds now and 5 bantam birds.

All chickens will have time of molting or whatever where they become freeloading broody jerks. but other than that good feed fresh water and you are good

You sure about that?

650 hens, automatic doors, automatic lights, automatic feeder with 1 ton hopper, automatic lights, rollout nest boxes that close automatically at night, conveyer for egg collection, and can be pulled by a sideXside to fresh grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This one holds up to 400 hens. Not quite as many features, but has automatic lights and doors, waterers, rollout nest boxes, and feeder auger that turns with impact drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged for wife.

Comment

Working...
                                X