Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salty H20 2023 Thread- How Salty Will You Get??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help guys. Me and this search function ain’t getting along. I just bought one of the Foreverlast wade fishing bags. Thought I saw on here somewhere that you guys liked it That thing is HUGE. Please give me some opinions on it. Trying to figure out if I want to use it or take it back. Thanks guys

Comment

ZZ. I can’t stand the bags. I still use a stringer. But get the plastic coated

Comment

I don't see the draw to the bag. It's big, it drags and it's big. There are times I will walk dry land to cut into back lakes. In 3 trips to the chandelur Islands, countless miles wading east and west Matty plus the surf trips I've lost exactly one fish to a shark. One.

And haul my wade gear in a nylon laundry bag

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
          Need some help guys. Me and this search function ain’t getting along. I just bought one of the Foreverlast wade fishing bags. Thought I saw on here somewhere that you guys liked it That thing is HUGE. Please give me some opinions on it. Trying to figure out if I want to use it or take it back. Thanks guys

I use a backpack, and tie an OG/Old school wading stringer to the pack. Tackle and stuff in the pack, stringer latched to that, allowing my shoulders to do the work behind me. When it's time to haul out and hike out of the water, open the pack, stuff the fish inside, and roll.

It's old school, decades rolling like this on 3 coasts. Simple and basic, both shoulders can haul some load.

Jetty hop, wade fish, mountain rivers for rainbows, shorelines on lakes and even running the kayak in the Guadalupe, I wear a backpack on my shoulders with a stringer.

Stringer has a measuring tape - so wading, I know I'm legit when I have to measure.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 06-23-2023, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Yeah I'll just stick to the stringer. I, like Shane above have lost 1 fish to a shark in my life, and that was at SL Pass many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              Yeah I'll just stick to the stringer. I, like Shane above have lost 1 fish to a shark in my life, and that was at SL Pass many years ago.
              You may not remember but you were with me when I had a stringer come loose in the surf and lost some fish. I’ve had a problem with stringers a couple times. I’ve got a couple good ones, but quit using them. Been using a Do-Net for awhile now, but it’s getting kinda ragged out so I bought one of these bags cuz I know some people on here said they liked em. It sure is big. I’m having second thoughts. It has some foam built in and it says it floats?

Comment

I like the bag because I can carry other stuff in it until I need it, then I can just throw the whole thing in the truck and not worry about fish getting dirt and sand all over them.

OK let's see if pics work. We did some crab fishing last weekend, turned out PDG.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey pics work, cool. Couple buddy's volunteered to clean the crab so we shucked some oysters to feed them appetizers while they worked.
                  Attached Files

Comment

If you are using a stringer get a long line clip to attach your stringer with. I attach that to my wading box but you can attach it to your belt or whatever. The clip will end your issues of your stringer getting away because the knot came undone.

Comment

Pics all out of order, balls...

We did a little fishing Thursday and Sunday evenings after dark but this was primarily a crab trip.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Bag is also faster, tear top open and toss fish in then get back to fishing. In the surf if we're not neck deep I clip it to a mushroom anchor so everyone can toss fish in it and we can drag it around as needed, but it's not attached to anyone with the waves constantly pulling at it.

Comment

ZZ. Here is what you need to stop loosing stringers. I a stainless caribeanor better than the green clip but until this gets eaten by saltwater I’ll use it. Make sure you get the large stainless clip if your ordering the parts
                          Last edited by glen; 06-23-2023, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post

You may not remember but you were with me when I had a stringer come loose in the surf and lost some fish. I’ve had a problem with stringers a couple times. I’ve got a couple good ones, but quit using them. Been using a Do-Net for awhile now, but it’s getting kinda ragged out so I bought one of these bags cuz I know some people on here said they liked em. It sure is big. I’m having second thoughts. It has some foam built in and it says it floats?
                            Use a Quick Release knot - learn to tie this knot, and you can release an OG stringer with a big fish up tight, with the stringer brass tip, ready to lip poke for hold.K

It will work under a moor line load, and not release till you pull on the shorter tag end.

Knots 101 - I keep things simple and learned tons of knots just to make it through USCG boot camp.

Ships, small boats and or stringers - another good knot to know, Truckers Hitch and Bowline.

Get a backpack with a stainless D-Ring, tie this knot, reach back and find the short end and pull. One hand the rod, and hold the stringer in the other hand, move the stringer to your teeth or on the back hand of the rod, if you need two hands to hold the fish.

I've made two simple turns, of the stringer line on my butt end of my fishing rod handle, to hold the stringer tag end, looped and held with my lower hand, as I slowly worked the fish in for grab and measure, holding it all out front on extended arms. Fish pulling one end, stringer on the other, lower hand holding the stringer loops on the butt, till it all settles down and I can hold the fish. Work the reel handle with the free hand, and stick the rod butt into your gut, as you hold the knot, for rod control.

The rod butt becomes a fence post for leader leverage on the stringer with a couple of turns of that stringer, on the low end of the rod. Inshore, we can one hand a bulk of our bigger trout or redfish on the rod, and still hold the stringer up front on fish up to 20 lbs, with the lower hand holding those loops against the blank till you can get the fish in close, and slip those two loops free for a measure and string.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 06-23-2023, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	fishing 0623232.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.9 KB ID:	26517075 Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing 0623233.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	26517077 Click image for larger version  Name:	fishing 0623231.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.3 KB ID:	26517076 Click image for larger version  Name:	fishing 0606233.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.2 KB ID:	26517078 Click image for larger version  Name:	fishing 0606234.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.4 KB ID:	26517079

Pretty fair morning of fishing including a couple firsts. A nice father-son trip. We released quite a few more trout in addition to what we kept. We probably released 10 or 12 15-16.5" trout too. All of our fish were caught drifting on Vudu Rattlin' Shrimp under Coastal Corks. We got out early and wrapped it up at 10am. It was a nice morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                                If you are using a stringer get a long line clip to attach your stringer with. I attach that to my wading box but you can attach it to your belt or whatever. The clip will end your issues of your stringer getting away because the knot came undone.
                                Good idea
                                Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                Bag is also faster, tear top open and toss fish in then get back to fishing. In the surf if we're not neck deep I clip it to a mushroom anchor so everyone can toss fish in it and we can drag it around as needed, but it's not attached to anyone with the waves constantly pulling at it.
                                Sounds good also. A lot of my wading I’m specifically targeting flounder. I’m imagining myself trying to hang on to one of those slippery suckers in my hand and trying to undo that velcro
                                Originally posted by glen View Post
                                ZZ. Here is what you need to stop loosing stringers. I a stainless caribeanor better than the green clip but until this gets eaten by saltwater I’ll use it. Make sure you get the large stainless clip if your ordering the parts
                                Good idea
                                Keep the ideas coming

Comment

Working...
                                X