Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salty H20 2023 Thread- How Salty Will You Get??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well went back to try catching trout this morning as my neighbor wanted some fish- About 9 we had a total of two dink trout- Went and grabbed him some bay carp to eat
    Attached Files

Comment

Glen I always heard that those little Puppy Drum are good. How do they compare with the Redfish?

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        Glen I always heard that those little Puppy Drum are good. How do they compare with the Redfish?
        On a corn tortilla with some slaw and spicy mayo they're awesome.

Or ceviche

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Gumbo. I’ll eat black drum and they are good. I don’t eat redfish. I’ll keep drum up to about 18 inches. Not so much after that
          Last edited by glen; 03-04-2023, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            Gumbo. I’ll eat black drum and they are good. I don’t eat redfish. I’ll keep drum up to about 18 inches. Not so much after that
            I’m sure I’ve eaten the small ones but I was young and don’t remember. I know a lot of people don’t particularly care for redfish but I’m fine with it. Definitely not flounder or trout. Have you ever tried the redfish on the half shell?

Comment

Small drum eat better than any reds IMO. I'll eat redfish on the half shell but drum on the half shell is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                On a corn tortilla with some slaw and spicy mayo they're awesome.

Or ceviche

Shane I’m gonna have to step out of my Cultural Safe Zone and try Ceviche. I never have tried it but I’m sure it’s great. And as far as fish tacos are concerned I think most fish are gonna shine prepared like that. Well with the exception of hardheads……and mullet……and shad…….and horse mackerel…... well you get the picture.👍👍

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Small drum eat better than any reds IMO. I'll eat redfish on the half shell but drum on the half shell is better.
                  Probably like Sheepheads. Great eating but you’ll burn a filet knife up cleaning em.

Comment

Probably like Sheepheads. Great eating but you’ll burn a filet knife up cleaning em.
                    I'll take the time with Sheepshead, that's fine dining right there.

Try your ceviche with flounder, no worms to pick out.

Comment

Shane I’m gonna have to step out of my Cultural Safe Zone and try Ceviche. I never have tried it but I’m sure it’s great. And as far as fish tacos are concerned I think most fish are gonna shine prepared like that. Well with the exception of hardheads……and mullet……and shad…….and horse mackerel…... well you get the picture.[emoji106][emoji106]
                      Goya makes a mix so you don't have to step to far out.

Comment

Salty H20 2023 Thread- How Salty Will You Get??

I think drum are way underrated. I haven’t seen any worms in the ones I catch around aransas pass. I don’t keep big ones. They fry and grill great. I also eat alot of redfish - both fired and grilled. But I take time to clean off the red meat.
                        Last edited by basschump; 03-04-2023, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Puppy drum are good and so are sheepshead, but I hate cleaning sheepshead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            Well went back to try catching trout this morning as my neighbor wanted some fish- About 9 we had a total of two dink trout- Went and grabbed him some bay carp to eat
                            Thats funny to see in your ice chest!

We need to get on some sheepies!

Comment

Details fellas, we need more details; please help a fella out! At least this bass fisherman needs a lot of help learning the ropes in the salt. Not wanting anyone’s honey hole just what areas you are fishing as far as cover/depths, bait or tackle used and perhaps tides & times you guys are fishing!

Went out on feb. 26 with a guide out to pier 37 marina and besides 1 keeper trout and a fews gafftops/hardheads it was extremely uneventful… later the boat broke down and made for a not so stellar outing… don’t get me wrong, it was a great time but would have really liked to enjoy some tight lines…

Went out again this past Saturday with a buddy on the north jetty out at Isla Blanca at south padre and we were skunked again, any time fishing is better than just about anything but it would be nice to experience some tight lines… throw a guy a bone please!

Comment

Pedernal- watch for bait and I’m not talking about big mullet- I call it flicker bait- Small baits on the surface. Can’t help in your area on where- as far as time to fish look at the Majors/Minors in you area. Incoming or outgoing tides either go to the inside or outside edge of a drain is usually a good place to start. Shrimp are piling back into the bays and fish are gorging on them now so fish shrimp or shrimp patterns would be a good starting point- and just like bass if you have piers/ structure work it- Try all water depths of the piers and you will probably catch most fish same depth on all piers. I’ve been catching most of my redfish in about 18 inches of water on piers recently- Fish should be on potholes thick soon

Comment

Working...
                                X