No announcement yet.

How much is a cow & calf worth hit by a drunk driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running over the cows while driving through someone else's pasture without permission is all the proof of negligence anyone will need. And the fact that it didn't happen on a public road has no bearing on liability insurance coverage. He's liable. If he has insurance, they'll pay. If the adjuster pays for 10 years' lost production, he or she is just from the city and stupid. But if they do, take the check.

Comment

I think it needs to be more than market value. You never know how a cow will pan out over 10 years. I lease my two places and have seen a cow die from prolapse and have also seen a brangus give up her calf last year at around 2 months and this year she totally rejected her new calf. There's always a chance you might not get what you had.

Comment

While I understand the logic behind using market value to calculate the value of livestock animals versus calculating their value based on loss of future income, I also think the OP has a valid argument that market value--or replacement cost--may not be an accurate representation of the cost of the animal to his operation.

There are a number of ways to calculate the value of inventory (animal or otherwise), and while market value is one of them, this valuation does not take into account other expenses incurred while either maintaining or freshening the inventory item (in this case, the animal). What about the feed required to maintain the animal? vet bills? medications, vaccinations, and other health remedies? While some expenses are considered a cost of doing business (say, running a water line out to a pasture), other, more direct, expenses are considered "cost of goods sold," or COGS, and are used in calculating weighted average value.

All this said, the method one uses to calculate the cost of a livestock animal is contingent on a number of variables, not the least of which are 1) size of the herd at the time of the animal's death and 2) the hundred weight value in the current market.

While I haven't put pen to paper, I have to wonder if, when market prices are as low as they are currently, it wouldn't better benefit the owner to value his cattle based on a weighted average cost rather than replacement (makes value) cost.

All this said, what I think likely matters as much as "a fart in a wind storm," as my father used to say. So there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
          I think it needs to be more than market value. You never know how a cow will pan out over 10 years. I lease my two places and have seen a cow die from prolapse and have also seen a brangus give up her calf last year at around 2 months and this year she totally rejected her new calf. There's always a chance you might not get what you had.

Yeah, and either could have come up lame in 2 weeks and cost $500 each…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your reaching….

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Yeah, and either could have come up lame in 2 weeks and cost $500 each…

I'd like to see what you would want if they were your cattle that got hit. Likely your stance would change.

Comment

How much is a cow & calf worth hit by a drunk driver

No it wouldn’t, fair is fair. If it were my son I’d offer the man a nice cow/calf pair, and another young heifer, I think that’s fair, and would accept it if things were reversed.

The man has been inconvenienced, and trespassed upon, and he deserves compensation for that.

10 years of calves is moronic.

My son would also be fixing a hell of a lot of fence for a while.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-07-2022, 04:50 PM.

Comment

We were told that if we killed a cow on the range at Ft. Hood that the army would have to not only pay for that cow but also all that cow would have produced over the next five years I believe. M

Only killed one that I witnessed. A Ma Duce will do a number on a cow. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    No it wouldn’t, fair is fair. If it were my son I’d offer the man a nice cow/calf pair, and another young heifer, I think that’s fair, and would accept it if things were reversed.

10 years of calves is moronic.

I agree with this. If we could get back dealing fair with each other instead of everyone looking for a "payday", we'd all be better off for it

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Some of you folks must be Ridin with Biden. Always wanting something for free. Pay the replacement cost, fix what was torn up, have the ranch truck fixed, and whoop that kid’s *** real good.

Comment

My dog killed 3 of neighbors chickens, I replaced with 3 chickens, didn't include 6 months worth of eggs.....not sure on sobriety he didn't get tested

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                          My dog killed 3 of neighbors chickens, I replaced with 3 chickens, didn't include 6 months worth of eggs.....not sure on sobriety he didn't get tested

Now that is funny

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                            Now that is funny

and completely true, dog isn't around now insurance canceled him.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                              .....not sure on sobriety he didn't get tested
                              Sounds like somebody let their ship sail right by em!! [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                                Sounds like somebody let their ship sail right by em!! [emoji16]

he invoked his rights just before he......left.......

Comment

Working...
                                X