No announcement yet.

Retirement age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retiring next year at age 70 - finances not an issue - I enjoy my job and what I do -

IMO easing into retirement for some folks is the way to go if possible - I have worked shorter hours the past few years so that when I totally retire it will not be such a radical life change

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
      Retiring next year at age 70 - finances not an issue - I enjoy my job and what I do -

IMO easing into retirement for some folks is the way to go if possible - I have worked shorter hours the past few years so that when I totally retire it will not be such a radical life change
      This is what I should have done as mentioned above of easing into retirement. I retired in 3/2015 just “Bam” at age 53. Sold our 5 year old home we had built 5 years prior with in 4 months of retiring. We moved to our weekend property, had a new home built etc bought some adjoining property. I went from 80 hrs plus to 0 hours a week. We have been blessed many times over and have a nice place but I should have slowed the chain of events down in my specific situation. I have went back a couple times on project work to my old place of employment and doing it presently. It breaks up the monotony, the $$ is very good for what I do and it’s part time and they work with my schedule.

I did the usual hunt max, fish if want have all the tractor toys to play with. But as mentioned above everyone is different and nothing wrong with working if you like it. Some folks I know that retired early didn’t figure in the high cost of healthcare and it is a big strain on them. Fortunately we both have retirement benefits. I checked all the boxes in an old school retirement of planning since 20 years old but make sure you are mentally prepared. I know it sounds stupid and you are saying no way in my case. Hopefully not!
      Last edited by tps7742; 11-02-2022, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jbw899 View Post
        In about 10 years, at 45. Starting getting into FIRE a few years ago and it is going well.
        What is fire?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
          What is fire?

Financially Independent / Retired Early

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post

I have slowed down a lot this year, Since taking a straight day position I went from 70-80 hour weeks and shift work to around 40-50 hour weeks.

What a nice change. Hopefully the next change will be zero hour weeks

Comment

Figure I'll work up until noon on the day of my funeral...

Comment

Only one downside to retirement. I had lots more free time when I had a job. Anybody else have this situation?

Comment

Two trains of thought Get less for a longer period or get more for a shorter period I had to retire at 63 due to our situation with my wife’s career and our special needs son. Lost two hundred a month going out at 63.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    Only one downside to retirement. I had lots more free time when I had a job. Anybody else have this situation?
                    This is a correct statement in most cases for me also most of the time. I have several ongoing projects and between family/grandkids for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                      You could always drive a bus route to bring up that average!!
                      I've thought about that, but that's everyday, early morning and afternoons til 5:00ish...i might as well still coach!haha I'm gonna ref in place of coaching and that will let me work when I want to, it just won't help my average

Comment

Originally posted by coachk View Post
                        I've thought about that, but that's everyday, early morning and afternoons til 5:00ish...i might as well still coach!haha I'm gonna ref in place of coaching and that will let me work when I want to, it just won't help my average
                        Coach I didn't go back and look but if you are in Texas and eligible to retire right now, I would do it! As I understand it, then you can actually go back to work full time and double dip. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this program is in place until the end of the year, but all indications are that the state is going to extend the program due to the lack of teachers across the state. That's a heck of a deal right there!

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                          Coach I didn't go back and look but if you are in Texas and eligible to retire right now, I would do it! As I understand it, then you can actually go back to work full time and double dip. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this program is in place until the end of the year, but all indications are that the state is going to extend the program due to the lack of teachers across the state. That's a heck of a deal right there!
                          I've got another 4 years before i can retire, but our district won't hire retired teachers because of the penalty they have to pay (last time i checked). I'm thinking with the shortage of teachers we have going though, the state will do away with that penalty at some point to get some teachers to come back and help since we aren't getting any new ones. That would be the best scenario for me for sure!

Comment

Today

Comment

I'm 37 so if I was at the financial mark we have lined out I'd say 38

reality is never, I have 2 little girls and we're planning to keep growing the family so I'll work till they put me in the ground

Comment

I’m 47 and self employed as well, I plan to start to let go about 50% in 5-7yrs. Then step 90% out about 4-5yrs after that. By 60 I plan to be completely sidelined as long as nothing major happens. My financial plan is in pretty good shape still and college for all 3 of my girls is taken care of already now I’m trying to get in position to pay for 3 weddings. Once that is covered I’ll be in the clear. Like others have said I want as much time not “required” to work as possible. My dad and grandad only made it to their mid 60’s but my health habits are better than theirs was. I still want time to actually enjoy true free time. I’ve always been worried about “tomorrow”. I’m looking forward to the day I can wake up with out worrying about preparing for tomorrow. Heck I may just sit on the porch at the ranch for a week and never move. Just starring out into space.

Comment

Working...
                                X