No announcement yet.

Smallest Pond You've Killed Ducks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a duck hunter but the area circles in orange is a wet land. Not really any standing water but ducks love it in the winter months. My nephews and his buddies always get several. Our ponds hold hundred of wood ducks which are cool to watch
    Attached Files

Comment

Had a small deer lease in bandera that had a small tank, maybe 1/8th of an acre, but had good depth and lots of vegetation. We shot gadwalls, teal and redheads off that tank. Had pintails circle but could not get them to commit.

Would throw about 6 dekes and hit the call….was fairly easy for a man to get a limit

Comment

Originally posted by buckhunter1999 View Post
        We have killed limits in bodies of water I would classify as "big puddles"
        Same, easy to throw a rock across from any side. Sod farm down my road is covered in ducks after heavy rains in inches of standing water and few as big as a house swimming pool.

Comment

any shallow body of water just toss in a bunch of corn and wait for them to find it, better to do if not near a road.......scratch grain along the banks helps......this is what I've read

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

typically hunted small ponds up here anyway, most were so small you could wade knee to waist-deep all the way across. Shot teal, widgeon, gadwalls and a few mallards. At least I never had to carry many dekes either.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                hahahahaha

Comment

Comment

Ive shot them out of an old farm houses abandoned pool before. Was right next to a corn field. I think they leveled it since.

Comment

Hunting playa lakes in the souther Texas panhandle, pretty much everything I hunt is considered a “big puddle” and rarely more than calf deep. But I’ve killed ducks on tailwater pits that weren’t much bigger than a backyard swimming pool.

Comment

I hunted in the valley years ago and walked around rotating between small ponds jump shooting them.

My question is why would you make the pond only 6” deep???

Comment

Ducks don’t really use ponds up here, but I usually jump shoot a few off my ponds every year. Wouldn’t be worth setting up to hunt. They’ve got better options.

Ducks don’t feed in deep water and you really just don’t see them on lakes, etc here. They’re going to be in knee deep or less where they can feed. Fields, woods, sheet water.

I’m not going to set up and hunt something more than waist deep. I’m not interested in ring necks and gadwalls, or getting wet lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            Hunting playa lakes in the souther Texas panhandle, pretty much everything I hunt is considered a “big puddle” and rarely more than calf deep. But I’ve killed ducks on tailwater pits that weren’t much bigger than a backyard swimming pool.
                            I have a tail water pit that is 15 yards wide and 40 yards long somewhere in the panhandle. Hundreds of limits of fat mallards and pintails have been shot off that pond. Typical spread is 4 decoys and a spinner. Retriever is wait for the wind to blow them to the bank. My son thinks duck hunting is easy due to that pond.

Comment

Same...if they want to be there, they want to be there. Shoot em!

Comment

Swimming pool sized. Kill woodies off it all the time. Had one day we lost count of ducks flying in 10 duck groups

Comment

Working...
                                X