No announcement yet.

Smallest Pond You've Killed Ducks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roosted a lot of wood ducks on ponds no bigger than 20-30 yards in diameter.

Comment

Killed them feeding in roadside ditches feeding some kind of weeds. Wood ducks in the timber after a good rain with 4-6" water standing. Most I ever killed was on peanut fields after a rain with water standing in the furrows. Pintails and Mallards

Comment

Shoot we got one little spot thats about 20' wide and 8' across and gets a couple feet deep.... we stack the gadwalls on that puddle a couple times every year

Comment

Doesn't matter how small a body of water is, ducks will go where they want to go. Scouting and access is the key to consistently good duck hunting

Comment

Some Great memories when I read this title. There was a tiny pond in the woods, really close to a big lake. I ran into it by accident. I limited all types of Ducks on it... it was probably 20 to 25 yards across and surrounded by Trees.

The last time I was there about 4 years ago, I was scouting for Deer and Hogs. the water was almost dry and the trees had completely taken over... I miss that place... Lots of good memories and good hunts there...

Comment

oh, shoot, I take that back.... the smallest body of water I hunted was a tiny low area between 4 acorn trees. It was known as the "Acorn pond" I had permission to hunt it in the WhiteOak, Texas Area on a private Property.

it was no more than 25 to 30 feet across all the way around, but it was full of Acorns and Mallards Galore...

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                oh, shoot, I take that back.... the smallest body of water I hunted was a tiny low area between 4 acorn trees. It was known as the "Acorn pond" I had permission to hunt it in the WhiteOak, Texas Area on a private Property.

it was no more than 25 to 30 feet across all the way around, but it was full of Acorns and Mallards Galore...

What is an acorn tree?

Comment

dang these are good stories! I plan to hunt this pond only 3-4 times a month so not to often but looing forward to seeing what happens

Comment

We killed multiple limits of woodies and gadwall on a 1/4 acre cow pond loaded with duck weed. Usually only took a few minutes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've killed limits on tiny marsh potholes while the guys fighting for the big water a few hundred yards off didn't do much. All about where the ducks wanna be and where they headed.

Comment

Originally posted by buckhunter1999 View Post
                        We have killed limits in bodies of water I would classify as "big puddles"
                        About 1/4 acre of flooded brush bottom side of a frac pond leak , could shoot a 2 man limit every time we hunted it . Lots of speckled belly geese too

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          What is an acorn tree?
                          an oak tree that produces acorns, Duh!

Comment

The cattle ponds on the deer lease are normally a third of an acre to half acre is size and they will normally hold a dozen or so ducks. With the drought this year, many are dried up or less than a quarter of an acre. We will see how they hold ducks this year.

Small bodies of water with a food source will hold alot of ducks, especially in a dry year. But just water, no matter the size, does not always hold ducks, unless they are just using it to roost.

Comment

Heard of folks just throwing out a black tarp and putting some decoys on it.

Comment

We’ve killed them in the marsh off the river in flooded pockets just deep enough to float a couple dekes.

Comment

Working...
                                X