No announcement yet.

New World Record long distance shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a looong way! I wouldn't even be able to see the target, heck I have enough trouble at 200 yards!

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
      I think for those that taking the approach, "I can do that in 70 attempts".....go give it a try at a mile on an 8 inch target and let us know if you get even close.

Video please and let us know who is taking/holding the money on the bets.
      Hell, give most on here a 10ft target at that range and they wouldn't be able to do it in 70 shots. Again, I said MOST on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
        Its LUCK Dale. If the bullet passed thru a buzzard fart during its flight, it would throw it of by 50 ft.

This is why I stay out of the PACE and the Collage football thread.
        I think probability is a better word than luck.

It’s an amazing feat, even with the number of shots. Reading the article and realizing the magnitude of the impact even the smallest variable can have, I believe there is much more to it than ‘luck’.

Comment

obviously i dont know shizz about ELR stuff and i am not saying i could do it, i dont care to shoot past 100y really.

but you guys keep saying how hard it was because a gust of wind downrange throws it off target, which is probably what happened on shots 10-68, then they got lucky and got one through.

am i wrong that math was a huge player here? plugging numbers into a formula and holding where it tells you too...?

dunno, its cool i guess, but do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
            I think probability is a better word than luck.

It’s an amazing feat, even with the number of shots. Reading the article and realizing the magnitude of the impact even the smallest variable can have, I believe there is much more to it than ‘luck’.
            There is a high probability that Dale will call BS on this also.

We are all lucky he's here to set us all straight.

Comment

Originally posted by CBHunter View Post
              Not everyone, but if they think it was just luck to get there in 69 shots, they are clueless. Like Dale, I'd like to see the pattern before the hit, but they weren't blindly lobbing bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I made a post yesterday stating that there was some skill and a lot of knowledge involved, but still a ton of luck. One would think that if they were monitoring hits, and walking their shots onto the target, there must still be some blind lobbing of the bullets or they'd be able to repeat the hit with at least some regularity.
              Last edited by bullets13; 09-22-2022, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Plenty of asinine statements in here for sure. To hit anything with a shoulder fired rifle manipulated by man at 4.4 miles…….

Luck ain’t got a **** thing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                I agree there's skill involved, but if you can get the angle of your dangle right you could hit something that far with every shot. Of course, luck will determine what you hit, but you'll hit SOMETHING for sure. My thing is with some science and math, if you can narrow down where your bullet is hitting to even something the size of a few football fields, eventually you'll get lucky and put a bullet on paper. Skill to get it in the general zip code, then luck to actually land one.
                Last edited by bullets13; 09-22-2022, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I’m wondering how safe it even is to fire down range that far? How do you secure & clear an area within that range. Was this private land they fired across?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                    Its LUCK Dale. If the bullet passed thru a buzzard fart during its flight, it would throw it of by 50 ft.

This is why I stay out of the PACE and the Collage football thread.

You should stay out of all of them that you don’t understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      I understand exactly what you guys are saying. I don't do the ELR stuff, but I appreciate what people are able to accomplish with it. But what you guys are talking about, and what these guys did are hardly the same thing. It's like comparing John Force in his funny car winning 4 titles in a row, to some guy getting a car to 400Mph on the flats at Bonneville. They are the same at their core, but they have entirely different goals and means to get there, because they face different obstacles. Someone has to push the envelope, and someone has to find a way to make it somewhat repeatable. Both still extremely impressive.

And btw, at some point some guy hit a target at 2500yds for the 1st time, with his umpteenth shot, was the 1st to do it, and they used that data and technology to come up with the stuff that guys use now to make that shot 4 of 4 cold.

This "Luck" bull**** still isn't going to fly at 4.4 miles, the variables are just too numerous, and too extreme. I don't have the working knowledge that some of you guys on this thread do, but I KNOW the luck theory is bull****. You can decide for yourself what is more impressive, but save the "anyone could do it in 70 shots" nonsense....that's pure ignorance.

I wish they had a spray chart available of the previous 68 shots, but that would be very difficult to do based on the fact the "spotters" have to go purely by the sound of the bullets impact. At that range the speed/angle of the bullets were such that they don't make "dust", just penetrate the ground. I'd also really like to know if they shot any more after the bullseye, and what that looked like. I'm sure they're saving all of the details for a youtube video, or something they can monetize. And maybe they couldn't get close again, the article itself said that it was "not statistically repeatable". Of course, they likely said that the 1st time someone did it at 2500yds too.
                      I know you're passionate about this, and I really do think there's a lot in the points you're making. That said, the term "not statistically repeatable" means that at this time there was a lot of luck involved. Plenty of skill, and more so plenty of math to get it in the general area, but plenty of luck to actually get a hit. Not dumb luck, but educated luck.
                      Last edited by bullets13; 09-22-2022, 01:05 PM.

Comment

It’s incredibly impressive! 2585yds itself is hard to imagine shooting cold.

Why doesn’t he try it at 4+ miles? Why not 2 1/2?

Just a guess…. It comes down to blind luck at that distance.

Comment

You should stay out of all of them that you don’t understand.

I savey pretty good. Its not that I don't know anything about the subject, I just don't feel the need to argue about them and call everyone with a differing opinion BS.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                            I agree there's skill involved, but if you can get the angle of your dangle right you could hit something that far with every shot. Of course, luck will determine what you hit, but you'll hit SOMETHING for sure. My thing is with some science and math, if you can narrow down where your bullet is hitting by even something the size of a few football fields, eventually you'll get lucky and put a bullet on paper.

The article states they were within 30yds in the beginning. They made adjustments each shot to try to keep up with wind changes, temps rising, etc. obviously there are still tons of unknowns, as mentioned the bullet trajectory was some 2500’ high at one point, so you can’t know the wind up there. You absolutely need some things to go right, even with all of the calculations, etc. they admit in both articles, it’s not repeatable….not yet anyway. But a month ago it had never been done, and now it has.

I wonder why some of you weekend snipers on here don’t post up a 3 shot, 1 hole group from 800yds. If you can hit that spot once, there’s no reason for a clover leaf unless the first one was luck, right?

Comment

New World Record long distance shot

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                              I know you're passionate about this, and I really do think there's a lot in the points you're making. That said, the term "not statistically repeatable" means that at this time there was a lot of luck involved. Plenty of skill, and more so plenty of math to get it in the general area, but plenty of luck to actually get a hit. Not dumb luck, but educated luck.

I can get along with that. If they had been shooting at it for 2 months, and 500 rds before a hit…I’d say that was a lot of luck. 68 rds ain’t THAT much luck at 4.4 miles, for my dollar. I appreciate your view, and willingness to have an actual discussion about it.

The fact remains, it had never been done until a few weeks ago, and only 1 group has done it now.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 09-22-2022, 01:22 PM.

Comment

All luck 0 skill or practice.

Comment

Working...
                                X