New World Record long distance shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
    1092 MOA up. Flight path of bullet was 2500 feet above the target.

Ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Half a mile holdover? I am with Dale, not sure you could see that far without a telescope. The angle of the scope looks like all you would see is barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I appreciate your insight. I figured those records were being leap frogged quickly in that sport, but wouldn’t have predicted THAT quickly. It’ll be interesting to see what the next barrier to fall is.

I’m curious what you feel is the biggest factor limiting you guys now?

Best of luck out there in NM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thanks! We did OK. 3 of us made it into the top 11 spots as did one of our customers. So 4 out of the top 11 were APR guns! Not a win this time, but we sure held our own against the field with a 5th, 6th, 8th and 11th. As to your question about limiting factors, there are a couple big ones.

The human factor is the biggest. I mentioned being able to read conditions earlier. At these distances the bullet is often hundreds of feet up in the air at its peak trajectory. You can read mirage or terrain at or right above ground level to make an pretty accurate judgement call, but I don't know anybody who can look up 200 feet in the air and tell you direction and speed with absolute certainty. We do use programs that factor this in somewhat, but it is still an educated guess in the end. Terrain will influence wind movement at the lower levels where we are actually able to get a measurement, but it is likely much different in that middle section of flight that we can't measure. The equipment needed to overcome this isn't readily available in the civilian market

This match was a great example of the human limitations. Last year we had better conditions and there were quite a few hits on the final 2 mile target. This year there was a single impact out of the entire field! These are almost 100 of the very best and most qualified long range shooters in the world. The second to final target at 3,164 yds only had 6 impacts out of 85 shots fired. Again this is a group of the best shooters and spotters(wind readers) in the world. On a calm day that target would have been beaten up pretty good, but even the best couldn't out guess what the wind was doing at that distance. Those of us that did, couldn't repeat it with a follow up shot just a couple seconds later.

We're pretty good to 2 miles in good or consistent conditions. We're just not quite there in being able to do it on demand in real world conditions without access to better technology. A final round observer last year likely would have been impressed by the skill they witnessed. This year it probably would have looked a lot more like luck to someone watching from the sidelines.

The equipment itself does have limitations, but is not as limiting of a factor as those mentioned earlier. The 2 big things we are looking for is extreme accuracy and extreme consistency. I'm looking for consistent 1/4 MOA and an SD under 4 fps for our comp rigs. That is not an easy ask of something burning that much powder. Speed matters somewhat but consistency is king. A few feet per second deviation at 3,000 yds will be a miss on a 1 1/2 MOA target. You'll never even notice it a 1,000 yds. The obvious thought is to go bigger, but that doesn't really work out in application. Bigger case volumes and bigger primers usually bring bigger variations and loss of precision at distance. The best answer is to take what we already know works and increase operating pressures to increase velocities and extend supersonic flight times. There are folks working on it and even SIG is dabbling in it commercially with the 277 Fury round on a smaller scaled cartridge...............but again, we're just not there yet.

All of this is just my opinion based on my experience and involvement with the 2 mile game. When we are talking about finding consistency at TWICE that distance...........not sure I'll ever see it, and hope I never do. Simply because I already know how hard it is to find a place to practice at 2 miles
      Last edited by Stick1; 09-26-2022, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I wish there was some ELR for me to witness down here in deep s tx to get a grasp...my fascination still lies in short range bench rest.

Have someone shoot 20 rounds into the zeros in high winds & ill perk up.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          I wish there was some ELR for me to witness down here in deep s tx to get a grasp...my fascination still lies in short range bench rest.

Have someone shoot 20 rounds into the zeros in high winds & ill perk up.
          Check out Rifles only. Not ELR much but they still shoot way out there.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Check out Rifles only. Not ELR much but they still shoot way out there.
            Do they still shoot south of Kingsville? I was a brass boy there in college, I have seen some things.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I was just trying to get my head around 4.4 miles in everyday shooting terms. I have a deer blind that sets up on the side of a hill with a pretty good view. In the dark I can see headlights on the highway a few miles away, and have looked at vehicles through my binoculars on that road in the daylight, and they are TINY! If they aren't white, it's not easy to tell the difference in cars and trucks. There is a barn across the highway that I can barely notice with the naked eye, I bet it's 80 or 100 feet long. I just used google to measure from my blind to that barn, and it's 2.36 miles. Consider that for a minute, then take a good long look at that rifle they used to do this....
              Don't lie, you checked out the cars driving by with your rifle on the slow days...

Comment

Working...
              X