No announcement yet.

Hunting the mighty Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on a fine bison, I shot mine with a 57 lb longbow with a 640 gr arrow with 160 gr 2 blade Magnus II broadhead

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
      Congrats on a fine bison, I shot mine with a 57 lb longbow with a 640 gr arrow with 160 gr 2 blade Magnus II broadhead
      I really wanted to use my recurve, but I just didn’t have the confidence in my ability. In hind sight I think I would have been just fine.

My heaviest Trad bow is a 54# Kodiak shooting at 553 grain arrow

Comment

Congratulations to you! Enjoyavle pics and read!

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
          I really wanted to use my recurve, but I just didn’t have the confidence in my ability. In hind sight I think I would have been just fine.

My heaviest Trad bow is a 54# Kodiak shooting at 553 grain arrow
          With that setup you're good to go. My buddy shot his with a 54# Black Widow recurve.

Comment

Sweet!!! Congratulations. That's a big ole chunk of delicious!!!

I understand the frustration with the heavy arrow people's attitude. Ashbey started it when he was selling bowhunting as a viable hunting method in Africa. And he wasn't wrong it is. But he made a mountain out of a mole hill. Then all those who can't use common sense and put in some work and experience for themselves jump on that wagon . . .
            Heavier arrows work. As do single bevel heads. But they aren't necessary to be successful.
            That said that arrow set up will work on an American bison. But I wouldn't try it on a Cape Buffalo. Totally different bone structure and animal. Seen 4 this last week and they are a tank on legs.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              I understand the frustration with the heavy arrow people's attitude. Ashbey started it when he was selling bowhunting as a viable hunting method in Africa. And he wasn't wrong it is. But he made a mountain out of a mole hill. Then all those who can't use common sense and put in some work and experience for themselves jump on that wagon . . .
              Heavier arrows work. As do single bevel heads. But they aren't necessary to be successful.
              That said that arrow set up will work on an American bison. But I wouldn't try it on a Cape Buffalo. Totally different bone structure and animal. Seen 4 this last week and they are a tank on legs.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
              Agreed on Ashby's studies being relevant to African Game. The arrows he was building are used to take the Biggest and Toughest game on earth... animals that big, big guns are used to take.

My beef is with guys who act like a slow, heavy, extreme FOC arrow is the only way to success in the whitetail or elk woods and anyone using less is a fool. I'm not saying that a slow arrow with a single bevel broadhead will not work, it certainly will, but there is more than one way to skin a cat and the millions of deer and elk that have succumbed to a mechanical head and a sub 500 grain arrow proves that the "heavy way or no way" line of thinking is ignorant.

I just hope someone sees that since you can kill an adult buffalo with a regular whitetail setup; it saves him or herself time, money and mental stress wondering if their arrow is adequate for deer because some goon on Instagram said its marginal.

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

I threw the jab because He and people like him have used their social media platform to cause a legion of bowhunters to lose faith in and question their equipment choices. They cause doubt and then in turn sell a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

I am not bashing anyone's choice to use an arrow that weighs more than 440 grains....I would shoot a heavier arrow if I had a longer draw length, but shooting a buffalo and getting a pass thru TWICE is proof that a typical whitetail set up is more than adequate for any 4-legged game in North America, and should prove that the majority of people shooting compound bows already have a great set-up and don't need to spend the time or the money building a specialty arrow or buying expensive custom two blade broadheads

And personally, I can't stand condescending rhetoric.... the "shoot adult arrows" slogan is one that really sticks in my craw, especially coming from a guy who bases his research off of shooting pigs.

Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by HankTheTank View Post
                    Where's the buffalo? All I see are tatanka.
                    FIFY

Nice job OP.

Comment

Congrats on a American beast.

Comment

A very handsome critter.

I think your arrow setup is a fulfilled medication from MrFairys prescription. From arrow weight, to broadhead choice, to speed, to momentum….it checks alot of the boxes. Your 440 grain arrow is a carbon log compared to what was mass marketed to unwitting hunters for many years….which seems to be the focus of MrFairys ire.

Are you gonna shoulder mount and cape a rug of that beast?

Good skilling Mr85.

Comment

Congratulations!

So what ranch or outfitter did you use? How did you get the license?

Comment

I don't know the real answer...you will see gobblers do it when one gets shot and I've seen it with Javalina's as well.
                            They do this to protect the herd. Once one is wounded they will team up on it and basically kick it out of the herd so that it does not attract predators into the herd. They basically help the predators to take out the weaker animal and keep all the others safe.

I shot my Bison with my whitetail set up as well with a complete pass through. You are correct about a whitetail set up being sufficient. Shot placement is the most important and if the placement is correct, most whitetail set up will take out most animals. I even had a pass through and my Eland with the same set up and I shot him through both shoulders.

Comment

more high fives from here too on a mighty fine bull

Comment

well done brother and congrats on a magnificent beast

Comment

Working...
                                X