Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had bill gates money I wouldn’t pay that for plugs

Comment

I just changed the plugs on my wife's 2009 Acura TL. First time in a long time for buying plugs, and I was sticker shocked at NGK plugs, at $7 a piece. Still, it only cost me $42, and three hours time.

As someone else, previously mentioned, one of the best things about youtube is the way it allows experts/DIY'ers/etc. to share how to DIY. You can save tons of money, if you have some common sense and a decent set of tools.

I have a theory about the cost of repairs, whether automotive, home, appliance, or etc., that is unrelated to labor and materiel shortages.

The latest generation of males are just useless. I.E. No common sense, no tools, no real-world experience, combined with no drive. They want convenience, regardless of cost. Instant fix for $1000, okay. I have to get my hands dirty and buy a tool for $200, no thanks. That kind of idiot just lost $800 in cash, that he probably had to earn $1100, due to taxes. It is only going to get worse.

Have you noticed the rise of mechanics that are willing to "home-deliver" automotive services, from basic brake jobs, oil changes, plug changes, etc. There are tons of youtube channels that feature these. They make tons of money, because they are competing with the shops, without the overhead of buildings, management, idle techs, etc. Note, most of them are bonded/insured.

When I was 22 years old, forty years ago, these conditions would have let me escape my parents house for a lucrative business venture. Unfortunately, I am not 22, anymore

Comment

I just fixed my truck a/c for about $350 all-in with tools and Freon, etc. Self-taught by watching YouTube. Took about 5 hours total.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrage View Post
          Nothing Christian or brotherly about the one I went to. It took a couple times to figure that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Ditto![emoji2959]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
            I just took my daughters 2010 f150 in for brakes
            One of the front calipers just came apart so for two new calipers , pads and new rotors On the front they quoted me $1200

Called Christian brothers and tbey quoted me $1700 to do all 4

Took it down the road to another guy I’ve used in the past he did all four for $950 which after parts is still about $450 In labor

You have to shop around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Christian brothers told me i needed a new engine last year to the tune of $10,200. When all was said and done i fixed the oil pressure sending unit myself for a little over $100

Comment

Wife requires that the local Toyota dealership changes her oil. Every time they do, they recommend changing air and cabin filters.I know they are kinda expensive @ about $30 each @ the parts store but $100 for filters? & They were quoting 1/2 hr labor for each filter. Gimme a F&*(#ng break!

Comment

YouTube is your friend. Do it yourself?

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                    Wife requires that the local Toyota dealership changes her oil. Every time they do, they recommend changing air and cabin filters.I know they are kinda expensive @ about $30 each @ the parts store but $100 for filters? & They were quoting 1/2 hr labor for each filter. Gimme a F&*(#ng break!
                    I can laugh about it now but I took the ole diesel in for an oil change. They wanted to change out my air filter. I thought no, I can do that easy and cheap. Well I got the filter and wanted to blow some dust and bugs out of the box and area around the filter. Put a rag down in the box to keep out the stuff I was blowing out. Put the filter in and she was ready to go. Well......somebody forgot to take the rag back out and that turbo sucked that baby in like a you know what. That filter cost me 5k when it was all over. I learned to slow down when I'm working on things. Slow down and you go faster was my new motto.

Comment

Working...
                    X