Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

$744 to replace spark plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
    I just took my daughters 2010 f150 in for brakes
    One of the front calipers just came apart so for two new calipers , pads and new rotors On the front they quoted me $1200

Called Christian brothers and tbey quoted me $1700 to do all 4

Took it down the road to another guy I’ve used in the past he did all four for $950 which after parts is still about $450 In labor

You have to shop around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yea Christian Brothers are crazy high.

Try and do most stuff by myself unless it's over my head then shop around, Found a great Duramax guy in McKinney if anybody needs one.
    Last edited by Bassdeer; 09-01-2022, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kenner27 View Post
      I did plugs and coils on a v10 triton in a motorhome and would gladly pay $744 VS doing it again. Was the biggest pain in the a** getting to the plugs. I have no idea if the tundra is similar or not.

I have changed plugs on those before in a bus(the same setup as an RV) and they are a HUGE pain, even with the proper tools!! The thing that makes them so much of a pain is how tight everything is with the injectors and coils on top of each other. Add in the fact that it’s a huge pain to get to the back cylinders and I don’t blame you at all. I dreaded those!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kenner27 View Post
        I did plugs and coils on a v10 triton in a motorhome and would gladly pay $744 VS doing it again. Was the biggest pain in the a** getting to the plugs. I have no idea if the tundra is similar or not.
        Most motor homes are pretty easy to get to the top of the engine. Once you take the engine cover off, you are looking down at the top of the engine. If that was a big motor home, not like a F350 or F350 chassis. That should have been an easy plug change. Now, if it is a E350 or E450 van chassis, with dual alternators and dual A/C. Those can be a pain. As bad as they are, I used to be able to walk into the shop, at 7:00 AM, pull a E450 into the shop, start ripping it apart, pull a locked up V10, dump transmission fluid all over the floor, because the engine is locked up and could not get all of the convertor nuts loose. Then put the convertor back, transfer all of the parts to the new engine and put the new engine back in, fill it with fluids and be driving it out the door around 5:30 PM the same day. The air port shuttle company does not believe in changing oil in their shuttle busses, so I was changing engines in those things like clock work at 54,000 miles, both 5.4s and 6.8 V10s. They let those busses run 24/7, idling most of time. So god knows how much time they actually had on them, because they refused to install hour meters. So every 54,000 miles I was putting another engine in one of their busses. The V10s were definitely more difficult, but not a lot more difficult than the 5.4s. Those were E450 chassis, with dual A/C and Dual alternators. Those were the worst thing that could roll through our door, that might need an engine.

But all of those large motor homes, with V10s that I worked on were pretty easy to get to the top of the engine. You get to the plugs from the top. Now, I would hate to have to drill broken exhaust manifold studs out of the heads, on one of those. And would not even want to know what it would take to remove an engine from one.

Comment

$744 for spark plug replacement????? Uh NAW....

Comment

Lol on the Christian Brothers comments…..that’s who I took my truck to.

Comment

i would have laughed all the way out the door

Comment

Have them show you the labor guide time. If they want to charge by the book they shouldn’t have any problem showing you.

Comment

I’ll do it for $743… haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by KGreene View Post
                    Have them show you the labor guide time. If they want to charge by the book they shouldn’t have any problem showing you.
                    That was the we can do 3 cars worth of front pads and make more money in less time quote

Comment

I was quoted the same on my truck here awhile back but it was for plugs and coils as well. And the guy probably would've used cheap coils too. That is something you don't want to scrimp on.
                      I bought my own NGK coils for about $30 apiece and then plugs($300), did it myself but it is a pain. With the labor and all, actually $700 isn't a bad quote, WITH coils!
                      I did one side of the engine one evening, the other side the next evening so that it didn't wear me out too bad.

Comment

If yours is a 5.7, it should be the same as my 2011. I changed mine earlier this year at about 86 k just cause. Took about an hour and 4 or so beers. Some pretty good music mixed in as well.

After you pull each coil, hit the plug well with a shop vac before you pull it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A few years back Sevchecs in college station wanted to charge me $400.00 for a top and bottom radiator hose. Never went back.

Comment

I changed my plugs on my 2012 tundra myself. Not hard at all

Shop labor rates have gone up greatly in the past two years. It was around $100 hr but has almost doubled at some shops

Comment

I tell you what. I thought you just take the rubber boot off the top and crank them out with a spark plug wrench to replace. But as wrong as i apparently am for $744 i will be Youtube certified to replace an 08 Tundras spark plugs myself in a couple hours!

Comment

Replaced mine myself for $80 in plugs but ended up still going to the dealer as one of my oil seals was leaking. Still cost me $700 by the end but had new seals in both heads.

Comment

Working...
                                X