Where are the Elk hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
    I am leaving for NM on the 6th to hunt the second week of first season. Have a tag in unit 23 with my dad, so this one will be special. Have been practicing out to 60 yards regularly and need to stretch it a bit further before the hunt to keep tightening things up.

I Have dropped my weight from 200lbs to 175, and the legs and lungs are getting about where I want them given I am training in north Texas. Lots of squats, lunges, weighted pack hikes (60lbs for 5-7 miles at a time), rides on the peloton and core/yoga. Just hoping I can put it all together and get a bull on the ground. Unit 23 is a fringe gila unit with a lot of elevation and lower density, so I know I have my work cut out for me.
    My son killed a bull in that unit on a youth hunt. It can be a very good unit if you know where to go and you must get away from all the other hunters. If you are in good shape and dont mind hard work you can kill a good bull. Good luck.

Comment

Unit 9 NM private 9/18!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Alberta Canada September 7-27

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Starky unit here in Oregon last two weeks. Good luck elk tipper

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
            Elk season starts in 3 weeks and nobody is talking about it. I drew the best tag of my life and I cant wait to get there, and its shaping up to be a really good year. I will be in Unit 16a the second archery season, is anyone ls going to be there? Is anyone hunting unit 15 this year? I have hunted that unit for the past 15 years, and I know some really good areas in that unit. Good luck to everyone!
            Good luck on your trip. Keep us posted. Ill be hunting elk the first week of archery season. Packing in on horses into the wilderness

Comment

Elk season starts in 3 weeks and nobody is talking about it. I drew the best tag of my life and I cant wait to get there, and its shaping up to be a really good year. I will be in Unit 16a the second archery season, is anyone ls going to be there? Is anyone hunting unit 15 this year? I have hunted that unit for the past 15 years, and I know some really good areas in that unit. Good luck to everyone!
              I have best tag of my life and I’m too busy trying to drop another fifteen pounds before then. I’ve started two a days and I’m barely moving. M-F it’s 8 Mile bike ride in under 30 mins and the 1hr at Madabolic @ lunch and evening ms its two dozen arrow. With 10 push ups for ever arrow out side to t he manic circle on a matrix. Sat and Sunday are destroy my feet day With 7 mile ruck @45lb- 55lb normally in heat of the day for extra insult. Got a new pair of boots but the are a PIA, to break in.

Buddy just killed sheel on last day of his unit today, 97 hiked miles… spend last 6 hours in pouring rain waiting out this brusier but got him in the end. He didnt tap out so I really have no excuse to hit my weight goal

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                I have best tag of my life and I’m too busy trying to drop another fifteen pounds before then. I’ve started two a days and I’m barely moving. M-F it’s 8 Mile bike ride in under 30 mins and the 1hr at Madabolic @ lunch and evening ms its two dozen arrow. With 10 push ups for ever arrow out side to t he manic circle on a matrix. Sat and Sunday are destroy my feet day With 7 mile ruck @45lb- 55lb normally in heat of the day for extra insult. Got a new pair of boots but the are a PIA, to break in.

Buddy just killed sheel on last day of his unit today, 97 hiked miles… spend last 6 hours in pouring rain waiting out this brusier but got him in the end. He didnt tap out so I really have no excuse to hit my weight goal
                I feel your pain, I need to drop 10 more lbs and its kicking my *****. Zamberlan Men's Lynx GORE-TEX RR BOA Hunting Boots are the best boots you can buy, they fit like a glove right out of the box. Good Luck!

Comment

Let me know how it goes, i have an Oct. 51 Rifle tag.

Comment

Leave the evening of Aug 30th for the first week of September. Colorado, Unit 140, private. I'm about as dialed as I'm going to get. Packing starts soon!

Comment

[QUOTE=rtp;16336485]51

Let me know how it goes, i have an Oct. 51 Rifle tag.

Comment

Awesome tag, well done! I’ll be across the highway from you in 23 with my son for first archery. First bull tag!

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                          I am leaving for NM on the 6th to hunt the second week of first season. Have a tag in unit 23 with my dad, so this one will be special. Have been practicing out to 60 yards regularly and need to stretch it a bit further before the hunt to keep tightening things up.

I Have dropped my weight from 200lbs to 175, and the legs and lungs are getting about where I want them given I am training in north Texas. Lots of squats, lunges, weighted pack hikes (60lbs for 5-7 miles at a time), rides on the peloton and core/yoga. Just hoping I can put it all together and get a bull on the ground. Unit 23 is a fringe gila unit with a lot of elevation and lower density, so I know I have my work cut out for me.
                          Son??

That will be special… my sons and I will be in 23 as well. maybe see you out there!

Good luck

Comment

I feel your pain, I need to drop 10 more lbs and its kicking my *****. Zamberlan Men's Lynx GORE-TEX RR BOA Hunting Boots are the best boots you can buy, they fit like a glove right out of the box. Good Luck!
                            They are good boots I had a set and they ended up being a 1/2 size to small which I found out on down hills. Unfortunately we’ll past Guidefitter’s return policy. Gave them to a buddy and He thinks they are Gods gift to the world outside the occasional squeak from cables.

I run Hanwag leather lined Ancash and Yukons. My Yukon are on third resole and just hanging on. But I picked up a pair of the 100 year anniversary Hanwag Alaska’s for a sheep hunt and they are proving to be a fun break in.
                            Last edited by Texans42; 08-08-2022, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Headed up first week of September for archery in Colorado. I'm going up in 2 weeks to scout and set out a couple of cameras before our trip

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be heading up to Unit 120 Wyoming September 20-27 for a bull elk archery hunt on public/private land. Glad I have a month or so cause I'm only half way through my training. Just starting my more intense workouts on stair master.

Comment

Working...
                                X