No announcement yet.

ERCOT is urging electricity conservation today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everywhere I look in my area there are new homes, apartments, businesses, etc going up. It is never ending. Where are they going to get all this electricity from if the grid is at its max now?

Comment

I will preface this by saying I monitor the utility companies portion of the Bulk Electric Grid I have worked for for the past 17 years.

The number one problem with the wind generation in Texas is location, location, location! Out west where the bulk of the turbines are the winds follow the opposite of the load demand. In short, the winds just don’t blow during peak demand but does at night when demand tapers off. If the bulk of them were installed along the coast or a couple miles out in the gulf we would be in a MUCH better position.

The close second issue is the “Clean Air Act” coming out of and controlled by DC. This “act” has effectively crippled an already fragile critical infrastructure. Basically what it has done is all but make coal fired power generating facilities illegal. Next to nuclear coal is the most dependable form of generation. Because of this “act” MANY coal fired power plants have been decommissioned/removed permanently and replaced with wind turbines.

The governor of Texas has absolutely NOTHING to do with our power problem. The only logical solution I see that he could and should do is offer financial incentives to build new DEPENDABLE generating facilities. The problem with that and why people are not building new is out of fear. The EPA is not fossil fuel friendly at all and can decide today that natural gas generators are just as bad as coal fired plants then they will be out millions.

In a nutshell our problem did not happen overnight and it cannot be fixed overnight. We are going to have rolling blackouts again! There is absolutely no way around it so prepare yourself accordingly.

Micheal

Comment

The current administration will solve the problem with electric windmills!

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
          I will preface this by saying I monitor the utility companies portion of the Bulk Electric Grid I have worked for for the past 17 years.

The number one problem with the wind generation in Texas is location, location, location! Out west where the bulk of the turbines are the winds follow the opposite of the load demand. In short, the winds just don’t blow during peak demand but does at night when demand tapers off. If the bulk of them were installed along the coast or a couple miles out in the gulf we would be in a MUCH better position.

The close second issue is the “Clean Air Act” coming out of and controlled by DC. This “act” has effectively crippled an already fragile critical infrastructure. Basically what it has done is all but make coal fired power generating facilities illegal. Next to nuclear coal is the most dependable form of generation. Because of this “act” MANY coal fired power plants have been decommissioned/removed permanently and replaced with wind turbines.

The governor of Texas has absolutely NOTHING to do with our power problem. The only logical solution I see that he could and should do is offer financial incentives to build new DEPENDABLE generating facilities. The problem with that and why people are not building new is out of fear. The EPA is not fossil fuel friendly at all and can decide today that natural gas generators are just as bad as coal fired plants then they will be out millions.

In a nutshell our problem did not happen overnight and it cannot be fixed overnight. We are going to have rolling blackouts again! There is absolutely no way around it so prepare yourself accordingly.

Micheal
          Thank you for posting some facts as to issues with the lack of power. What do you know or what are your thoughts on the smaller nuclear power generating plants that could potentially be the solution??

Comment

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again….
            If the greenies want us to use less fossil fuels, they need to grow a pair and get comfortable with nuclear. It is literally the perfect solution, especially with the advances in the last 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Micheal

I wonder how the recent Supreme Court decision on the EPA will effect all of this…

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                Thank you for posting some facts as to issues with the lack of power. What do you know or what are your thoughts on the smaller nuclear power generating plants that could potentially be the solution??
                Ever since 3 mile island, then shortly after Chernobyl, few want to allow nuclear again. Most folks agree that we should go nuclear, up until it's going to be built in their back yard. Then all of a sudden, no it's too dangerous. The Federal government is no fan of nuclear. This is in part why Summer Nuclear Plant was shut down half way through construction, along with some serious cost overruns thanks to Toshiba/Westinghouse.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                  I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again….
                  If the greenies want us to use less fossil fuels, they need to grow a pair and get comfortable with nuclear. It is literally the perfect solution, especially with the advances in the last 30 years.

Hydro is the worlds only true green energy. Build huge lakes. It's a win/win/win

Hydro will work until evaporation stops but we'd all be dead before then anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Hydro is the worlds only true green energy. Build huge lakes. It's a win/win/win

Hydro will work until evaporation stops but we'd all be dead before then anyway.
                    With a water wheel maybe. When the lake level drops below the intake for the turbines on a dam, no hydro power.

Coming to Powell and Mead, huge lakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Nuclear is by far the safest, greenest and most dependable option available BUT the general public is scared to death of them plus the initial expense is astronomical.

Micheal

Comment

I work on the energy management side of the industry and have done so for 16 years now - the ever increasing demand on Texas grid fueled by population and infrastructure explosion, high summer temps and coal plants offline have all been contributors to where we are now.

if you are on a market rate plan i urge you to reconsider a fixed rate plan. We are barely into July and as you all know, it doesn't get cooler through the end of Aug. Prices today are expected to peak over $2000 per mWh and I expect we see real time market prices in that range through Wednesday during peak hours - and likely next week as well.

That equates to $2 per kWh instead of your normal .12-15

Last edited by topshot; 07-11-2022, 09:46 AM. Reason: add link to ercot

Comment

Originally posted by jdg13 View Post
                          Not enough wind to turn them. Too much wind they turn too fast. Never seem to work when needed but by golly they gonna save the planet. Only thing wind is good for is taking government subsidies and turning them into profit for a select few.
                          You and I agree on this subject.

Rwc

Comment

Nuclear is by far the safest, greenest and most dependable option available BUT the general public is scared to death of them plus the initial expense is astronomical.

Micheal
                            Yes sir, been preaching this for years.

Rwc

Comment

And we’re all being told to trade in our gas powered vehicles for electric vehicles

Comment

Micheal
                                Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                                Yes sir, been preaching this for years.

Rwc
                                I appreciate the info gents. I also believe nuclear is the answer. And I understand a lot of folks fear the possible hazards but at this point with growing and unquenchable demand there is no other choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X