No announcement yet.

Menard 2022/23 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I haven't seen any rutting activity so far, the cold and hopefully rain over the next few days should get the young bucks at least thinking about it. Looks like we will have the first official freeze Saturday morning. If we get a rain on Friday and a freeze on Saturday, that makes for a pretty short growing season.
    Adios,
    Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
      I had about 30 axis coming to the feeders on my little river place up until we got the rain and it greened up. Now, I have one buck and a few does and fawns. I think that this is a good thing as their absence is giving my grass a little time to grow before winter. When it gets cold, they really pile in on me as there is shelter from the north winds.
      Adios,
      Gary
      Have your Axis returned?

Comment

A few of the axis does have returned. Not many whitetails around as there was a couple of months ago. Perhaps it is due to the fact that there are quite a few hunters feeding now that weren't two months ago.
        We are getting a shower this morning. I have not checked my gauge but I am guessing about a tenth so far.
        An absolute monster whitetail was killed on a HF ranch east of Menard last week. The ranch was recently purchased by some friends of mine. Years ago a previous owner released some "enhanced" deer on the ranch and this is no doubt one of the offspring.
        Gross score 258 3/8
        29 scoreable points
        28.5" spread
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

Went this passed week (Thurs-Sat). Still too green for movement and I saw no signs of the rut.
          Rained quite a bit Thursday morning early and then got fairly cold.
          Had a couple of inches of wheat (100 acres) in the field and never saw more than two deer on it.

Comment

Watched my deer around the house this morning while it was cool and mist was falling. Still no rutting activity. Another round of cold weather coming this evening and I expect to see things pick up by the end of the week.
            Most of the deer have slicked off thanks to the few showers and a few acorns scattered across the county.
            Adios,
            Gary

Comment

Watched my deer around the house this morning while it was cool and mist was falling. Still no rutting activity. Another round of cold weather coming this evening and I expect to see things pick up by the end of the week.
              Most of the deer have slicked off thanks to the few showers and a few acorns scattered across the county.
              Adios,
              Gary
              I am heading out this weekend, so hopefully we see some entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                Went this passed week (Thurs-Sat). Still too green for movement and I saw no signs of the rut.
                Rained quite a bit Thursday morning early and then got fairly cold.
                Had a couple of inches of wheat (100 acres) in the field and never saw more than two deer on it.
                Tough hunting right now as you say. The cameras show some of the older deer moving at night now, but not making too many daylight appearances.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                  I am heading out this weekend, so hopefully we see some entertainment.
                  I'll be heading that way late Thursday for about 5 days! Looking forward to the cold temps finally!

Comment

Frost killed everything a couple of mornings ago and was 30 again this morning. Breeze is still out of the north so it won't be warming up much unless clouds move in. Had deer around the house this morning and at noon; still no rutting activity. A buck pawed the ground under a persimmon behind the house a couple of days ago but I am guessing that was after dark as I have not seen him.
                    Adios,
                    Gary

Comment

It is happening! Driving back from the river place yesterday evening, I saw a mature buck on the highway ROW about 3 miles west of Menard. A doe had crossed the road and I drove between him and his girlfriend, causing him to jump back into the pasture. When I got to town, saw a three year old 8 point that I had not seen in the daylight. His attention was directed to a doe under the liveoak near him.
                      This morning I get in my pickup and there's several does and fawns nearby. They are not watching me, rather looking at something in the pasture behind them. About the time I get into my pickup, a 4 year old 9 point stepped out and approaches the flock with his nose low to the ground as he attempts to "test the wind".
                      Heath and anyone else coming this weekend should see some different deer as business is picking up.
                      Adios,
                      Gary

Comment

It is happening! Driving back from the river place yesterday evening, I saw a mature buck on the highway ROW about 3 miles west of Menard. A doe had crossed the road and I drove between him and his girlfriend, causing him to jump back into the pasture. When I got to town, saw a three year old 8 point that I had not seen in the daylight. His attention was directed to a doe under the liveoak near him.
                        This morning I get in my pickup and there's several does and fawns nearby. They are not watching me, rather looking at something in the pasture behind them. About the time I get into my pickup, a 4 year old 9 point stepped out and approaches the flock with his nose low to the ground as he attempts to "test the wind".
                        Heath and anyone else coming this weekend should see some different deer as business is picking up.
                        Adios,
                        Gary
                        Woohoo! Ready to be in the stand Friday morning!

Comment

Heading out to the ol whitehead for Thanksgiving week. Should be good. Started seeing older deer last weekend.

Comment

Colder than expected this morning. 30 on the bank but most buddys at Compton Warehouse had 25. Business is definitely picking up.
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

National Weather Service is calling for sleet and snow late tonight and tomorrow morning.
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

It was 31-32 most of yesterday morning, light rain and sleet. I ended up with .05" of precipitation for the day. Light rain and sleet again this morning, 36 degrees. Deer are hunkered down in the brush this morning.
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X