No announcement yet.

Menard 2022/23 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone in Menard tried starlink and if so how does it work? We are talking about putting it at the ranch west of town.

Comment

Originally posted by MenardCountyBow View Post
      Has anyone in Menard tried starlink and if so how does it work? We are talking about putting it at the ranch west of town.
      We got it set up at ours don’t remember the speed but it’s faster than what I have at the house

Comment

I just hot spot my phone with AT&T and use a FireStick or Roku at the cabin and it works well.

Comment

We are right off of Cleo Road about 15 miles south of Menard and recently installed Starlink at Camp. It works awesome. We are able to stream TV and have Wifi all around camp (inside and out). My buddy that lives in New Braunfels said it is better internet that at his house and office.

I am taking Karla out this weekend for her first bow hunt.

Comment

I ended up ordering Starlink so hopefully we will have the same results y’all are having. Good luck this weekend. It has been really slow for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
              We are right off of Cleo Road about 15 miles south of Menard and recently installed Starlink at Camp. It works awesome. We are able to stream TV and have Wifi all around camp (inside and out). My buddy that lives in New Braunfels said it is better internet that at his house and office.

I am taking Karla out this weekend for her first bow hunt.
              I hunt out in that direction, too. We turn off of Cleo Rd at Ellis School Road and follow it until it forks. Then a little ways down Rust Road. Cell phone coverage is very spotty out there, no matter who the carrier is.

Comment

Rains were spotty on Sunday and Monday. I got a tenth in town and .3" south of town. Not sure about NW part of the county but am guessing a couple of tenths. County line north on 83 got 1.5" which was the highest total I heard of.
                Praying for more rain.
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

I made it out to the Fort the second weekend with the boys. Due to reduced tags this year from our biologist, I'm pretty much just watching deer so the boys can do the killing. Both boys got the Trad bug shooting with me this summer so it started out as a trad only weekend.
                  I saw 2 nice bucks at one of our spots we call The Ring of Fire sunday morning. One a 5yo management 8 and a post mature 8 with kickers and a common base 3rd beam. Mason hunted there Monday evening in hopes of getting one or the other due to the axis not cooperating at our creek spot. Both deer showed up. He finally got a 8 yard shot at the management 8 after about an hour. He pulled the shot and hit him thru the front part of the brisket. The buck ran about 10 yards and stopped. He looked around for a few minutes then went back to eating corn until dark without presenting another shot. That messed with Mason's confidence(who had been shooting lights out with his recurve prior) so he took his compound with him the next morning in hopes of redemption. The management 8 came in shortly after daylight and Mason got the deed done.
                  Camden is picky when it comes to his bucks. He had plenty of opportunity to take bucks that fit our management plan but none were 'The one'. The does are our early season priority and were scarce, at least without fawns at their side. The plan was to take 3-4 this trip but it just didn't work out. Camden got an opportunity on a mature doe without any fawns on monday morning. He waited until she gave him a 12 yard shot and 10 ringed her. He even got the shot and crash after a 30 yard run on video with his phone. He usually has ice running in his veins but this time he said he was shaking like a tree in a hurricane. That recurve hits a little different.
                  We took our new pup out to track both deer even though both fell within sight. She is a 7 month old Bavarian Mountain Hound I got from ccamp(thanks again Chris!) back in June out of the classifieds. She did absolutely great on the doe. As for the buck, the wind was up and the trees had her scared and jumpy. She did good enough to get to the deer after we got her calmed down. Lots of room for improvement but from what i'm reading about the breed, they mature a bit later than other breeds and she has a ways to go yet. I'm looking forward to watching her mature.
                  Looks like mid December or later before work responsibilities let us get back. I'll post up more then.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gunswayne View Post
                    I made it out to the Fort the second weekend with the boys. Due to reduced tags this year from our biologist, I'm pretty much just watching deer so the boys can do the killing. Both boys got the Trad bug shooting with me this summer so it started out as a trad only weekend.
                    I saw 2 nice bucks at one of our spots we call The Ring of Fire sunday morning. One a 5yo management 8 and a post mature 8 with kickers and a common base 3rd beam. Mason hunted there Monday evening in hopes of getting one or the other due to the axis not cooperating at our creek spot. Both deer showed up. He finally got a 8 yard shot at the management 8 after about an hour. He pulled the shot and hit him thru the front part of the brisket. The buck ran about 10 yards and stopped. He looked around for a few minutes then went back to eating corn until dark without presenting another shot. That messed with Mason's confidence(who had been shooting lights out with his recurve prior) so he took his compound with him the next morning in hopes of redemption. The management 8 came in shortly after daylight and Mason got the deed done.
                    Camden is picky when it comes to his bucks. He had plenty of opportunity to take bucks that fit our management plan but none were 'The one'. The does are our early season priority and were scarce, at least without fawns at their side. The plan was to take 3-4 this trip but it just didn't work out. Camden got an opportunity on a mature doe without any fawns on monday morning. He waited until she gave him a 12 yard shot and 10 ringed her. He even got the shot and crash after a 30 yard run on video with his phone. He usually has ice running in his veins but this time he said he was shaking like a tree in a hurricane. That recurve hits a little different.
                    We took our new pup out to track both deer even though both fell within sight. She is a 7 month old Bavarian Mountain Hound I got from ccamp(thanks again Chris!) back in June out of the classifieds. She did absolutely great on the doe. As for the buck, the wind was up and the trees had her scared and jumpy. She did good enough to get to the deer after we got her calmed down. Lots of room for improvement but from what i'm reading about the breed, they mature a bit later than other breeds and she has a ways to go yet. I'm looking forward to watching her mature.
                    Looks like mid December or later before work responsibilities let us get back. I'll post up more then.
                    Awesome!

Comment

Congrats to them both!! WE will be heading out this afternoon, hope our weekend will be as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunswayne View Post

Congrats! We aren’t far from FT. mckavett. If y’all ever need anything just holler!

Comment

The Hunter's Blowout is this Saturday at Club Victoria. Will be raffling off a lot of great toys and food is part of the admission price. I will be there and hope to see some of you there!
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

I did a write up on it but adding it to the thread. My wife took a buck, pig, and turkey with her bow two weekends ago. Her first with a bow.

I’m heading out on Friday but I’m not to mad at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                              I did a write up on it but adding it to the thread. My wife took a buck, pig, and turkey with her bow two weekends ago. Her first with a bow.

I’m heading out on Friday but I’m not to mad at them.
                              That's freaking outstanding, Heath! Congrats to her.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                                The Hunter's Blowout is this Saturday at Club Victoria. Will be raffling off a lot of great toys and food is part of the admission price. I will be there and hope to see some of you there!
                                Adios,
                                Gary
                                We should be there. Always a great time!

Comment

Working...
                                X