Hot dogs anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
    Well while we’re chewing on the hotdog fat, where did it get its name and why?
    From a person that thought it looked like a dachshund.

I think like Hamburger, Gumbo, et al., there are probably several claims of its original.

Comment

Now don't y'all go dissin on the glorious delicacy that is SPAM. SPAM on rye with swiss cheese and mustard is hard to beat. Kinda like a Rueben sammich.

Comment

Pretty sure, I see lips and pekkers in there !
        Mmhmm.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGE1JVmJe-0"]GN: How Hot Dogs are REALLY Made - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I am not watching that.

Comment

Shoot, that don’t scare me, I’ve lived off of Vietnam era C-Rations before.

Comment

Doesn't bother me, still like them, and potted meat, and viennas.

Imagine what a truck-load of eggs crashed would look like ...

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                  Common practice to produce the filler at one location and ship to another for further processing. I worked for pilgrims and we made the filler and shipped to customers that make the dogs.
                  MSC or MST, the primary ingredient in a poultry dog but not typically the finished, ready to stuff

Comment

That was likely MSC or MST which is the primary meat ingredient in chicken , turkey hot dogs. It actually was the "villain" back in the "pink slime" days and why the ABC ended up having to pay BPI over $177,000,000 in damages for defamation.
                    the actual "meat /filling" which makes a hot dog or bologna is emulsified at the plant where it is stuffed and cooked along with water, seasoning, cure etc.). Beef dogs use trim, just like you find in ground beef, just a little fatter (around 30% finished formula)
                    The temperature of the meat at time of stuffing is important for potential defects (fat caps, poor color, etc.). I have been in the meat / poultry industry since 1991 and have worked in Beef and chicken slaughter plant, hot dog plants, corn dog plants, roast beef pastrami, etc, dry and semi dry sausage, smoked sausage (natural casing and cellulose) pizza topping, taco fillings, ground beef, variety meats, FC and par fried chicken of all sorts and been in Pork, Lamb and turkey slaughter plants and probably a few I cant remember. I am not going to say it 100% was not going between plants as a finished / ready to stuff but am 99.99% sure it was not. With all that said.
                    1) the ready to stuff bologna and hot dogs do look a LOT like that, maybe not as dark pink.
                    2) even with all i have seen, I still eat (all beef) bologna or hot dogs.
                    3) i still know our food industry is among the safest out there.
                    4) MSC or MST is frames (bones) put through a high pressure press / screen to capture any meat scraps left. not the most pleasant looking stuff. I am not particularly a fan but it is safe
                    5) FACTS about what goes into dogs.
                    A Guide to Common Ingredients in Hot Dogs Hot dogs are among America’s most popular foods, but consumer surveys indicate that many hot dog lovers aren’t sure how they are made and why some ingredients included on the label are used.  

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                      Doesn't bother me, still like them, and potted meat, and viennas.

Imagine what a truck-load of eggs crashed would look like ...
                      I don't know about crashed eggs, but I know about burnt up eggs. When I was in HS, a family in Plano had an egg farm. One night someone decided to burn down one of the chicken houses. Being the fine young men we were (plus free beer), me and some friends went to help clean it up. We went to school with their daughter, so we knew them. Anywho, you want to talk nasty? Try a burnt down chicken house. Got home and mom burned my clothes in the backyard.

Comment

I remember camping at Cedar Creek and we had sliced bologna ready to put on sammiches when the other family's Mom started picking up slices and chunking them?!?! My Dad: What the **** are doing that's our lunch!?!?! She says well a fly lit on it so you can't eat it that's just Nasty!!! - Realized their family and ours ain't the same!

Comment

Ball Park Angus dogs tonight! Took momma to the Grove for dinner 2 nights ago so we had Little Caesars last night and hot dogs tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
                            I remember camping at Cedar Creek and we had sliced bologna ready to put on sammiches when the other family's Mom started picking up slices and chunking them?!?! My Dad: What the **** are doing that's our lunch!?!?! She says well a fly lit on it so you can't eat it that's just Nasty!!! - Realized their family and ours ain't the same!
                            Wow. We leave our back door cracked out so the dogs can come in and out during the day. We'd have a $10,000 a month grocery bill if we had to throw out food that a fly landed on. Some people.....

Comment

Working...
                            X