No announcement yet.

Which TX beach in June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like SPI but I’ve never been overly impressed with it. It definitely has the best water in Texas. I’d much rather go down there to go fishing vs. going to the beach. Galveston has way more to do that SPI.

Comment

Don’t go to Galveston. It’s a mud pit with tons of trash.

Comment

Galveston food is good.
        Beaches and water are nasty.

I live a few minutes away and refuse to go.

Comment

Find the best beaches in Alabama when you visit Gulf Shores & Orange Beach. Browse Gulf Coast beaches and find the best vacation spot for you!

Not Texas. But..... not far either.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            https://www.gulfshores.com/things-to-do/beaches/

Not Texas. But..... not far either.
            Traffic nightmare, 1.5hr minimum to get in a restaurant, miles and miles of condos, beach is just a beach, great seafood.

Save the extra drive and stay in Biloxi. It's still a better deal to VRBO a front row house on Bolivar, unless you're just craving touristy ****.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              True but I'd still go to Port A and fish the north jetty. Or better yet hire Oz to take you on a 2 day fishing trip down PINS.

But it is the ocean so pray the wind, waves, and seaweed all cooperate.
              Lived on the coast my whole life and I've yet to visit an ocean in texas

Comment

If I were going to just fish and hunt seashells, I'd head to Matagorda. Great fishing and seashells galore. You'll need 4wd but there's 20+ miles of beach to explore and get away from people. Oh, and get several miles down beach before you wade or swim. The currents near the Colorado River mouth can be dangerous.
                As someone else said, seaweed can ruin a Texas beach vacation in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                  Texas week? 2009-10 was terrible.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                  A lot of the riff raff has been priced out of SPI. Rentals are expensive and most folks make so much on their rentals in the summer they don’t rent fo SB. Dinner for a family of four can easily push $100+ at the decent to good places. Of course that’s assuming you have an 11yo son that eats $25 worth of fried shrimp every meal.

Easter was nuts 10 years ago…not now. Real Estate prices have almost tripled in the last 10 years. Our duplex we bought three years ago has tripled in value and that’s on the land only.
                  Last edited by JeffJ; 05-24-2022, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                    If I were going to just fish and hunt seashells, I'd head to Matagorda. Great fishing and seashells galore. You'll need 4wd but there's 20+ miles of beach to explore and get away from people. Oh, and get several miles down beach before you wade or swim. The currents near the Colorado River mouth can be dangerous.
                    As someone else said, seaweed can ruin a Texas beach vacation in a hurry.

It's nice and quiet once you drive a few miles down. I like it because it's almost totally undeveloped.

There is trash that washes up and there are trashy people who leave trash too but being able to drive as far as you like down the beach and not be sitting right in front of someone's house is a good thing. To me anyway. If you want green water every day and a manicured beach this isn't it. If you like shelling and fishing on an undeveloped beach and have a 4x4 this is a pretty nice place to be. Of course, if you want more than fishing and the beach Matagorda doesn't have much for you. It's a small and quiet fishing town. But then to some of us that is pretty nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                      It's nice and quiet once you drive a few miles down. I like it because it's almost totally undeveloped.

There is trash that washes up and there are trashy people who leave trash too but being able to drive as far as you like down the beach and not be sitting right in front of someone's house is a good thing. To me anyway. If you want green water every day and a manicured beach this isn't it. If you like shelling and fishing on an undeveloped beach and have a 4x4 this is a pretty nice place to be. Of course, if you want more than fishing and the beach Matagorda doesn't have much for you. It's a small and quiet fishing town. But then to some of us that is pretty nice too.
                      My idea of paradise!

Comment

Just got back from SPI, been there plenty of times beach is clean but you cannot drive on the beach. Port A you can drive on beach. It looks like you're from Ft Worth and if you still are I would go somewhere else honestly. It takes me 5 of the most boring non scenic hours from San Antonio to get to SPI. IMHO I think you will be underwhelmed if you've been to Florida and Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Traffic nightmare, 1.5hr minimum to get in a restaurant, miles and miles of condos, beach is just a beach, great seafood.

Save the extra drive and stay in Biloxi. It's still a better deal to VRBO a front row house on Bolivar, unless you're just craving touristy ****.
                          Biloxi is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                            A lot of the riff raff has been priced out of SPI. Rentals are expensive and most folks make so much on their rentals in the summer they don’t rent fo SB. Dinner for a family of four can easily push $100+ at the decent to good places. Of course that’s assuming you have an 11yo son that eats $25 worth of fried shrimp every meal.

Easter was nuts 10 years ago…not now. Real Estate prices have almost tripled in the last 10 years. Our duplex we bought three years ago has tripled in value and that’s on the land only.
                            The gangstas come from the Valley and party all night on Padre Blvd. I don't think most got rooms. Not sure why that would change.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jbr81900 View Post
                              Just got back from SPI, been there plenty of times beach is clean but you cannot drive on the beach. Port A you can drive on beach. It looks like you're from Ft Worth and if you still are I would go somewhere else honestly. It takes me 5 of the most boring non scenic hours from San Antonio to get to SPI. IMHO I think you will be underwhelmed if you've been to Florida and Mexico.
                              You can drive on the beach, you just have to go down to the north end and enter the beach through access 5 or 6. From there you can drive as far down the beach as you want. At least to Port Mansfield anyway which is 24 miles.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                                You can drive on the beach, you just have to go down to the north end and enter the beach through access 5 or 6. From there you can drive as far down the beach as you want. At least to Port Mansfield anyway which is 24 miles.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
                                My apologies, I stand corrected , yes you can! Totally forgot about that, nowadays I only venture out as far as the convention center and that access is a little ways down from there. Good Luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X