No announcement yet.

Cow people, weak calf help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you milk the momma down, could you put the milk in a bottle and feed it to Junior?

Comment

Update for those interested.

Got momma in the chute and milked her, yes she has some bag issues.

Saved the milk.

Calf would not nurse or even take the bottle. We force fed it the milk.

Outcome still unknown, we will milk and feed again this afternoon

Comment

Sometimes you gotta tube em… it’s a last resort…. But your in a last resort situation

Things for know in future:

1. Just cause she has a bag, don’t mean there’s milk

2. Just cause they “sucked” don’t mean they got milk

3 they need that first colostrum ASAP. without it survival is 100% pure luck

Comment

Do yourself a favor. Once you get things settled down ship em both to McDonalds....

Comment

[QUOTE=Chunky;16163134]Update for those interested.

What sort of bag issues? Her BCS is almost fat. How much grain is that cow on? Some of her bag issues could be cuz she’s too healthy.

Comment

You can buy colostrum replacement at a feed store of maybe a vet. May be too late maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                You can buy colostrum replacement at a feed store of maybe a vet. May be too late maybe not.
                I try to keep a couple bags of the colostrum powder on hand during calving season. Saved 2 calves this year with it. One had to be pulled from a heifer and was in real rough shape. Second one was born the coldest night of the year when we got the ice. Think it was around 15 degrees. That calf had been laying out on the ice for several hours with eyes rolled back of its head. Wouldn't move. Got that bottle of warm colostrum in its mouth and it started gumming it. Few minutes later it had drank a little. Stood the calf up and held it up. Got about 1/2 a bottle down it. After that he was strong enough to nurse on his own. Got very lucky though.

Comment

Her bag seemed hard in places.

I didn’t know a cow could be too healthy. Yes, I probably over feed my animals.

Yes, we feel like we are in a desperate, nothing to lose at this point situation.

We got milk out of 3 of teats. The next day or two will probably tell the story.

Comment

No good working vets near you?

Comment

Is that fourth teat still plugged? You may have to work a little to remove the plug if it’s still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                        No good working vets near you?
                        No, and they won’t come out.

If they do, the fee would be more than the value of the calf.

My bull is currently at the vet in Navasota, over two hours away.

Comment

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
                          Is that fourth teat still plugged? You may have to work a little to remove the plug if it’s still there.
                          My friend is going to run her back in the chute tonight and work her again, you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                            Update for those interested.

Saved the milk.

Calf would not nurse or even take the bottle. We force fed it the milk.

Outcome still unknown, we will milk and feed again this afternoon
                            If she has mastitis you don't want to save/feed that milk.

Comment

With all you have done I'm thinking the calf has a problem. All my years of running cattle I had 1 calf born without an anus. Might check that. I've had a few dummy calves and a few with no cleft palate. Good luck!

Comment

Yall seen where these folks give a weak calf some milk and a white monster?

Comment

Working...
                                X