Cow people, weak calf help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cow people, weak calf help

First, thanks for taking a minute of your time. I always get good advice here and it’s appreciated.

For those that don’t know me, I have a little place and keep about a dozen cows that I treat almost like pets. I am no way an expert on cattle.

Todays issue.

I had a calf born a week ago from my biggest cow. Black angus, this is her 4th, I think. Never had an issue. Good nutrition and body on her.

My daughter texted me at work and told me the calf was born and looked good. She thought it nursed, but couldn’t be sure.

I spent an hour with them that afternoon, I am pretty sure I saw milk around the calf’s mouth, but didn’t see it nurse.

It seem a little weak, but pretty normal.

It didn’t seem to get stronger, and is very skinny.

Mom has not rejected it and her bag is huge.

A week has gone by, I have half expected to find it dead each time I go out.

But, as of dark it was still alive after a week, but the strength of a first day calf.
    You can just walk up and handle it, it doesn’t try and get up or move away. It can stand and walk, but not strong.

I have not had this before.

Questions. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Should I try to start bottle feeding if I can?

If I do supplement/bottle feed, should I keep it with the mom or go all in on the bottle?

Lost cause, just let it play out?

Thanks for opinions and advice.

Mark

Her last calf was 11.5 months ago, birth size was smallish but not tiny.
    A little premature perhaps.

She also was fighting other cows a week before birth, pushing into fences. She is the dominate cow.
    Attached Files

Comment

Can you pen her and the calf? Make sure it is nursing. Bottle feed it as a supplement until you know for sure it is nursing it’s mother. If it has been alive for a week I would think it nursed?
      Her teats may be to big for him to get it in his mouth? Cows bags will get full after the calf is born and sometimes the teats get to big for a calf to nurse easily.

Could there be something else wrong with the calf? Any runny stools on the calf? Eyes and nose look clear?

I look at it this way: The calf is $600 walking around: Buzzard food laying dead!

Comment

Is that a picture of last years calf or the one your talking about now?

If you can pen them and put her in a head gate you could check to see if she’s giving milk?

What you described about the calf almost makes me think he is under nourished?

Comment

Her teats are big, I hadn’t really thought of that.
          I think it must be nursing some to have survived this long. Most of my google research says that if they don’t nurse, they will die in 3-5 days.

I believe the people here more than random web pages.

Yes I can pen her, but I can’t really spend all day watching them. I might do that this morning, not sure it will accomplish anything. Force mom to stay close by.

Comment

That is the one we are talking about, a few hours after birth.

I agree under nourished, but, the mystery is the cause and should I try and supplement?
            Last edited by Chunky; 03-31-2022, 05:09 AM.

Comment

I would pen them and give the calf some LA 200. Can you milk the cow and bottle feed the calf?

Comment

I would get some milk replacer and attempt to feed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                  Her teats are big, I hadn’t really thought of that.
                  I think it must be nursing some to have survived this long. Most of my google research says that if they don’t nurse, they will die in 3-5 days.

I believe the people here more than random web pages.

Yes I can pen her, but I can’t really spend all day watching them. I might do that this morning, not sure it will accomplish anything. Force mom to stay close by. .
                  yes it may fix itself if you can do this. Put a bale of hay in there so she will be standing still and maybe he can get more chances to nurse without chasing her around in the pasture. I would keep her and the calf penned up for a few days until the calf gets stronger. I’m with you I believe he has nursed he just may not be getting enough.
                  I won’t worry about watching them. Just give the cow some water and food and keep her and the calf in a small area.
                  You could supplement him with some milk replacement. I don’t know what the smallest bag you can buy is? You can call a feed store and see what they have. If you get the calf stronger he may be able to handle the big teats better. Good luck!

Comment

I have milk replacer on hand.

I will take the advice and pen them.

He never chases her, he just lays down all day and she comes back to him periodically.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                      I have milk replacer on hand.

I will take the advice and pen them.

He never chases her, he just lays down all day and she comes back to him periodically.

Thanks again
                      Some calves have a stronger instinct to lay down and hide in the grass than others. I’ve had them stay in the lay down stage for several weeks, and have had others that’ll walk all the way up to the pens with their momma a day or two after being born.

It must be getting some nutrition if it’s still able to stand and move some. Bring it up the pen and give it some milk replacer if absolutely necessary. At over a week old, you probably don’t need to worry about the high dollar colostrum. Then keep a close eye on it for nursing. I try not to bottle feed anything unless I have to since I don’t live where I keep my cows. Bottle feeding is a royal pain and you run the risk of it not nursing from the mama. But if it continues to be weak, a little supplementing won’t hurt.

Comment

Is the calf drawl? What does her bag look like? Wouldn’t hurt to give it a dummy shot.

Comment

Have you check the cow for mastitis? Even a little mastitis in the teats will cause a calf to be sickly even if the momma will let it nurse. If the momma has a touch of it she may be sore and not letting the calf nurse. Call the vet out. By this time the calf may need hydrated and some calcium.

Comment

Can you get her in a chute?
                            Mike her to:
                            - see if her teets are hard (mastitis)
                            - get the size down so the calf can latch on

Put the calf on it and get it to suck.

Check the calf:
                            swollen tounge, take temp, etc

Keep em penned up a cpl days 'til it "gets it"

Comment

Feed it. The colostrum window has long passed and if missed, (probably was) it will have a long road ahead. Bottle feed it 2x a day then up to 3x until on feed good or 6 weeks minimum

Comment

Working...
                              X