Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a shot of b12 won't hurt either

Comment

Without pics I'm guessing teats are to large for him to suck. Sounds like he is only able to suck one of them. Squeeze chute and help him get them in his mouth and nurse good. Then milk them out and keep her on hay only until he figures out how to suck her teats. You may have to do this a few times.

Comment

Is he pooping? It been more than a week, you should see the evidence stuck around his tail. It may be gold colored by now. Actually, I'm sure he's eating otherwise he'd be dead. He may not be eating aggressively enough, which leads to my first thought.

My first thought is 'dummy calf'. Do a you tube search for dummy calf or dummy foal. The solution is remarkably simple and almost immediate.

A B12 shot may help, but not if he's a dummy calf.

Comment

First thing I would do is isolate her and the calf in a small pen with dry hay (coastal) and water. She may be producing too much milk on good pasture. Put her in a squeeze chute and check her bag for signs of mastitis. (Hard and hot to the touch and painful to her when you are checking it) if she has signs of mastitis, call a vet or give her a shot of LA200. If she has mastitis, she will kick the calf off or limit it’s nursing attempts. If she doesn’t have mastitis but her teats are too large for the calf to fit in his mouth, the calf will nurse only one of the four tests and eventually grow into nursing the other three. During this process, the cow can still develop mastitis in the other three quarters of the bag. There are draining needles you can purchase that you can insert in the larger swollen teats to drain them to relieve the pressure. This should be done in a squeeze chute to minimize harm to yourself and avoid a broken arm. I would limit her intake to dry hay and water until the calf is nursing normally then turn her out and watch them for any problems.

Comment

Once again thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

My daughter and I spent the whole morning with the cows. We watch for thirty minutes while it tried to nurse. It never really got latched on, although it tried hard and would occasionally lick the tip.

She fed it with a bottle, so that it could get some calories and perhaps stronger. It took a couple of regular baby bottles, and then about half of the bigger calf bottle.

I have a friend on the way over, we are going to give it an injection and some probiotics.

Hoping a few supplemental feedings and it will be able to go the natural way.
            Attached Files

Comment

I'd leave calf with cow penned for a few days and bottle feed as needed to build calf's strength up. Might milk down a teat or two if that is possible. May not be needed. Once he gets strength back, calf won't likely need much more help.

Comment

I gave a calf to my maid just yesterday so she can attempt to save it, exactly more or less what your describing. I have had 40 calves hit the ground and Im almost convinced I know which cow is being a bad momma. Meanwhile its living at the house. Its about 5 days old and surely drank its colostrum or it would have died I imagine. I don’t give good odds on it surviving. We have managed to save a few. Good luck, try and feed it and hopefully it has a will to live and got that critical colostrum drink. I like cows that don’t make me do her job

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                  Should I try to start bottle feeding if I can?
                  Tie it up first then bottle feed it. Imagine Homer Simpson drooling. "Hmmm, veal."

Comment

It could be his leg joints are swollen keeping him from moving around or just getting up to nurse. Some calves will pick up an infection through the naval after their born causing this issue. Shots of penicillin every few days should help him get back to normal if this is the case.

Comment

Inject some Multi-min into the calf, it is a supplement that gives them a boost.

LA 200 is a anti-botic, unless the calf is got an infection it's not going to do much to perk them up.

Even seen guys use energy drinks in the milk replacer to perk them up, never tried that but might be worth a shot.

By the pics I'd also milk them teats down so they are easier for the calf to latch on too.
                      Last edited by Russ81; 03-31-2022, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Since the calf is trying to nurse the best thing to do is get the cow in the chute and then help the calf get latched on.
                        Mommas milk is much better than the store bought stuff and the calf needs to learn to get those teats in it's mouth.
                        Some good advice on here,but store bought milk replacer should be a last resort when you got a healthy momma cow making plenty of milk.

Comment

These are all good suggestions, that calf looks like it can be saved. Put mom in the chute

Comment

As always thanks again.

As I write this, the cow and calf are on the way to my friends house, he has a squeeze chute.

In the morning we are going to milk the mom down and try and force the calf to latch.

It would not take the bottle this afternoon, hopefully it got enough today to at least maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                              As always thanks again.

As I write this, the cow and calf are on the way to my friends house, he has a squeeze chute.

In the morning we are going to milk the mom down and try and force the calf to latch.

It would not take the bottle this afternoon, hopefully it got enough today to at least maintain.
                              He will suck her down. Just help him get a tit in his mouth. Let him suck all 4 or until full. Then milk her down.

Comment

Been kicked more than once after roping mama cow and holding that calf up there and teaching it to nurse...if you have a good snubbing post you can do it without the squeeze shoot but be quick to move if she is a kicker.

Comment

Working...
                                X