Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
    Range creep ?
    With basically terrible range conditions right now is creep feed any value over the hot dose brands ?
    Min. Crude Protein
    14.00%
    Crude Fat (min)
    3.00%
    Crude Fiber (max)
    18.00%

I ask because that’s what the cattle guy is dumping and the deer are hammering away on it
    In simple terms, it’s fine.

Protein levels are a little low, but the vitamin / mineral package is likely where you will see some difference from a deer ration.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      What feed have you decided is best?
      The best bet is to have a certified biologist mix your own but that doesn’t fit most people.

Depends on where you are. I would be careful of high carb feeds especially in East Texas.

South Texas, West Texas and drier areas higher fiber and I personally like feeds base on Soy Bean and fiber Rations with Bio-Mos to knock back disease from rodents. I know deer are not susceptible to this but it can knock them back.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
        The best bet is to have a certified biologist mix your own but that doesn’t fit most people.

Depends on where you are. I would be careful of high carb feeds especially in East Texas.

South Texas, West Texas and drier areas higher fiber and I personally like feeds base on Soy Bean and fiber Rations with Bio-Mos to knock back disease from rodents. I know deer are not susceptible to this but it can knock them back.
        Disease from rodents? Isn’t Bio-Mos just a prebiotic (yeast)?

Comment

Coins

Comment

Question for those that know. With range conditions what they are out west, will feeding cotton seed (obviously free choice) hurt the herd (mainly Whitetails Axis and Fallow) if there is plenty of available water? We are about to put out 2 tons of cotton seed and if we should wait, I’ll do so, but there isn’t much to eat for them as of now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              Question for those that know. With range conditions what they are out west, will feeding cotton seed (obviously free choice) hurt the herd (mainly Whitetails Axis and Fallow) if there is plenty of available water? We are about to put out 2 tons of cotton seed and if we should wait, I’ll do so, but there isn’t much to eat for them as of now.
              Fallow are quite susceptible to gossypol toxicity and sterilization.

Comment

Good question
                We switched to black eyed peas when cotton seed price increased .
                On a tip-off from our feed dealer, they are culled peas / wholes & 1/2’s , they run good out of the spin feeders and free flow ( hopefully they are good / better than corn)
                And seem to look good on paper.
                Crude Protein (Min)................................20.00% Crude Protein (Max)...............................26.00%
                Fiber (Min)............................................. ..4.00% fat(Min).......................................... ..........1.8% TDN (Min)............................................. .86.00% Calcuim (Ca) (Min)...................................0.11% Phosphorus (P) (Min)..............................0.55% Magnesium (Mg) (Min)...........................0.25% Potassium (K) (Min)................................1.49% Iron (Fe)............................................15 0.0ppm Manganese (Mn)................................19.0ppm Zinc (Zn).............................................4 0.0ppm *Vitamin A.....................................3000.0 IU/lb Vitamin D.............................................0.0 IU/lb Vitamin E.............................................8.0 IU/lb

Crude Protein (Min)................................20.00% Crude Protein (Max)...............................26.00% Fiber (Min)............................................. ..4.00% Fat (Min)............................................. .......1.8% TDN (Min)............................................. .86.00% Calcuim (Ca) (Min)...................................0.11% Phosphorus (P) (Min)..............................0.55% Magnesium (Mg) (Min)...........................0.25% Potassium (K) (Min)................................1.49% Iron (Fe)............................................15 0.0ppm Manganese (Mn)................................19.0ppm Zinc (Zn).............................................4 0.0ppm *Vitamin A.....................................3000.0 IU/lb Vitamin D.............................................0.0 IU/lb Vitamin E.............................................8.0 IU/lb
                Attached Files
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-27-2022, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Actually it’s Actigen.

Comment

And I meant coons. Fat fingers. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                      Good question
                      We switched to black eyed peas when cotton seed price increased .
                      On a tip-off from our feed dealer, they are culled peas / wholes & 1/2’s , they run good out of the spin feeders and free flow ( hopefully they are good / better than corn)
                      And seem to look good on paper.
                      Crude Protein (Min)................................20.00% Crude Protein (Max)...............................26.00%
                      Fiber (Min)............................................. ..4.00% fat(Min).......................................... ..........1.8% TDN (Min)............................................. .86.00% Calcuim (Ca) (Min)...................................0.11% Phosphorus (P) (Min)..............................0.55% Magnesium (Mg) (Min)...........................0.25% Potassium (K) (Min)................................1.49% Iron (Fe)............................................15 0.0ppm Manganese (Mn)................................19.0ppm Zinc (Zn).............................................4 0.0ppm *Vitamin A.....................................3000.0 IU/lb Vitamin D.............................................0.0 IU/lb Vitamin E.............................................8.0 IU/lb

Crude Protein (Min)................................20.00% Crude Protein (Max)...............................26.00% Fiber (Min)............................................. ..4.00% Fat (Min)............................................. .......1.8% TDN (Min)............................................. .86.00% Calcuim (Ca) (Min)...................................0.11% Phosphorus (P) (Min)..............................0.55% Magnesium (Mg) (Min)...........................0.25% Potassium (K) (Min)................................1.49% Iron (Fe)............................................15 0.0ppm Manganese (Mn)................................19.0ppm Zinc (Zn).............................................4 0.0ppm *Vitamin A.....................................3000.0 IU/lb Vitamin D.............................................0.0 IU/lb Vitamin E.............................................8.0 IU/lb
                      Where’d you buy this stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Where’d you buy this stuff?
                        A lease boss’s neighbor near San Angelo ( can pm you a link )
                        Slightly more expensive than corn but cheaper then protein
                        We have a box car being stored, they bag as needed for us

Edit
                        Just called and
                        They carry them bulk in ozona @ the co-op (607 AVE. H
                        OZONA, Texas 76943)
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-27-2022, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Protein prices

Peas and also soybeans do look good on paper but I could never get deer at my place to eat them. A shame because feeding corn is basically pissing into the wind and they both did work great in the spin feeders.

It’s pretty dry now, might be worth it to give them a try again.
                          Last edited by kyle1974; 03-27-2022, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                            Actually it’s Actigen.
                            I’m still curious about what rodent disease yeast is supposed to prevent/cure? Actigen is yeast as well.

Comment

Protein prices

Cottonseed isn’t going to hurt free ranging white tails. Or, if your range conditions are so bad that cottonseed is all they have to eat, you’re probably going to lose deer if you don’t feed anything. That is a sales pitch from feed salesman. The ironic thing is how many of those feeds use cottonseed on their blend.

We feed a lot of cottonseed and I haven’t observed any of the things that some say cottonseed can do. (Fertility, respiratory distress, death, etc). I was worried about the fertility issue initially but our fawn crop has improved every year since we started feeding it heavily so I don’t think it’s hurting us. .
                              Last edited by kyle1974; 03-27-2022, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                                I’m still curious about what rodent disease yeast is supposed to prevent/cure? Actigen is yeast as well.
                                A yeast infection?

Comment

Working...
                                X