South Texas Hunter’s Thread 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
    Y’all got any birds? Not sure we will have too many this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We did 3 weeks ago. Not sure since we got all this rain, I haven’t been able to get out there. If there are skeeters like I think there will be then I’m not interested in finding out.

Comment

8" in Carrizo Springs in the last 10 days or so, raining there right now too. Supposed to go down this weekend to do some work, might have to rethink that plan if the rain doesn't let up.

Comment

Better bring lots of skeeter repellant, they are bad!

Comment

We got tons of mourning doves, we have been getting rain just about everyday so don’t know how long they will be around. Only a few white wing and lots of Eurasian dove around Banquete, Agua Dulce area. I did see more white wings near Alice.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
            We did 3 weeks ago. Not sure since we got all this rain, I haven’t been able to get out there. If there are skeeters like I think there will be then I’m not interested in finding out.

Lots of off and multiple thermacells.

I’ll let you know[emoji3]

Comment

Got another good amount of rain so far this week. Gonna suck for the dove hunting next week.

Going to be doing more mowing than bird hunting.

Comment

Went to check cameras and do some work last weekend north of Freer. It rained us out of there Sunday, but Saturday was nice! So green down there right now that they have basically abandoned the corn. TONS of mourning dove. I noticed on a couple cameras that they are what is cleaning out the corn under the feeder. You see the corn throw, then a carpet of dove show up and clean out the corn in 10 minutes. Anyone have a suggestion on a feeder pen that keeps the birds out? lol

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                  Went to check cameras and do some work last weekend north of Freer. It rained us out of there Sunday, but Saturday was nice! So green down there right now that they have basically abandoned the corn. TONS of mourning dove. I noticed on a couple cameras that they are what is cleaning out the corn under the feeder. You see the corn throw, then a carpet of dove show up and clean out the corn in 10 minutes. Anyone have a suggestion on a feeder pen that keeps the birds out? lol
                  Gotta set throw time to later in the evening when they've gone to roost already

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post

My feeders are all set for 630 am and 815 PM right now for the same reason. The dove and tree ducks will wipe them out.

We’ll start rolling them 1/2 hour or so before dark next month.

Comment

The hunting in October might be pretty slow. Deer have almost stopped going to feeders all together. We just topped off protein feeders on August 18th and they are still pretty full. Every night about 30 minutes before dark there are 100 deer in the green pastures around the house. They are loving all the fresh green stuff. It's been a year since they've had it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        The hunting in October might be pretty slow. Deer have almost stopped going to feeders all together. We just topped off protein feeders on August 18th and they are still pretty full. Every night about 30 minutes before dark there are 100 deer in the green pastures around the house. They are loving all the fresh green stuff. It's been a year since they've had it.

Yeah they haven’t been hitting the cotton seed very hard at our place.

Comment

Since the big rains at our place in Freer, the deer have virtually disappeared from the feed pens. I go days without a deer on camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond07 View Post
                            Since the big rains at our place in Freer, the deer have virtually disappeared from the feed pens. I go days without a deer on camera.

Same for me. Just a doe or two, or a little yearling buck.

Comment

They still coming in every evening or every other but not near as much activity.

Catch the occasional Nilgai coming through also.
                              Last edited by Black Ice; 09-10-2022, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Hope some of y'all got to hunt the dove opener today. Looks like it's going to rain for several days this week

Comment

Working...
                                X