Anyone ever sue a new car dealership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy D Mercer View Post
    Many dealerships now will not allow financing outside of the dealership. With the shortage of vehicles they will be more than happy to lose the deal if financing is not with them. They get paid a little quicker if they finance the vehicle. This is not the case everywhere but I am seeing it more and more.

You can always do a refi with you local credit union.
    It has to do with packing the loan with up sales. They make more off you in finance than on the sale. I can't tell you how many I have refinanced with packs of $1Ks that members never knew dealers back loaded into the financing.
    Last edited by BrianL; 03-04-2022, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I’d never finance at a dealership or buy any kind of warranty. I’d not have paid anything over what we agreed on, contract or not. Cancel all the shiit and get a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When you sign a Retail Installment Contract (RIC), they MUST provide you a copy (by law). Even when you sign it electronically, they can print you a copy before you leave. Hopefully you find it in your wife's email.

You mentioned she had to go back to the dealership a couple of times to resign. Did you resign a RIC? Both copies of those = small claims court.

Best of luck to you guys. Sorry you're having to go through this.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
          It has to do with packing the loan with up sales. They make more off you in finance than on the sale. I can't tell you how many I have refinanced with packs of $1Ks that members never knew dealers back loaded into the financing.
          How do they pack $$ into the loan without the customer knowing it? I would like to make sure this doesn't happen to me.

Comment

Never finance at a dealership............
            Originally posted by Dbap View Post
            Never buy anything but the vehicle. Have Financing arranged ahead of time at a credit union. Sell your vehicle yourself, don't trade it in, especially these days when the inventory is so low on used cars. When you go to the F&I guy, tell him you don't want financing unless he beats X% by 1 point. On my last one, I asked the F&I guy why he didn't try to sell me an extended warranty or service plan. (that was the first time a dealership didn't at least try). He told me people with credit scores as high as mine don't buy them. He was right. I take a laptop with me, set the pace of time and run the deal with rebates & opposing interest rates to check payments and total costs on my own, not what they tell me. We're talking about thousands of $, be a boss. This also lets the guy know I won't be rushed, and he is on my time. He'll get done with me quickly so he can beat the other F&I guy to the next sucker.

My ex wife tried to make a point once and go buy a car on her own without me. This was a DFW Metroplex dealership. She's got the deal all done, but calls me to come sign as a co-owner, since she needed me on the title, I assume to get the best interest rate. I get up there and two hours later the sales guy and the F&I guy are so ****** because it took me that long, and several attempts to get them to remove all the crap they had added on. And yes, they tried a couple of times to leave things on the deal I told them to remove and had to redo it.

I'm sorry about your experience. I don't tell you this to brag, but a lot of people will read this post, and I hope to hell that at least one person learns to be a boss, know their stuff ahead of time, have their $ ready & not get it broke off them. Good luck with your issue.

AMEN! Not many bosses these days.

FACTS

Comment

Never finance at a dealership............
              I actually financed mine at my dealership but they use my local credit union and I got the same rate either way.

Comment

Most dealerships have recordings (both video and audio) of everything that is said and done when doing paperwork for buying a car. It is usually a small sign somewhere and even on paperwork at times. The problem is they can and will use it against you but rarely will allow you to use it against them unless you go to court. See where I'm going here? If you are 100% positive? Lawyer up......

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                  We gave them my wife’s email address. It is taking my wife some time to try to look for the email due to how busy she is at work right now.
                  Just bought a new car about a month ago, and they gave me all files that day on a thumb drive. You sure they didn't give ya'll one, I doubt everything would go through by email due to file size.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
                    How do they pack $$ into the loan without the customer knowing it? I would like to make sure this doesn't happen to me.
                    Just like they did to the OP..... Very very few people read all the docs, because it would take so long, and many times you are only shown the "last" page with the signature line, not the previous pages that you are actually agreeing to all the extra stuff, power train warranties, GAP, credit life, disability, window etching, undercoating, scotch gaurd, service agreements, tire warranty, wheel warranty, hail damage warranty, key replacement, headliner warranty, ..... They will also tell you about one warranty but actually sell you a much smaller warranty for the price of the higher warranty.
                    Last edited by BrianL; 03-04-2022, 01:40 PM.

Comment

The cheaper route would maybe explore the option of cancelling all the "extras" you bought with the vehicle such as extended warranty and service/maintenance package. They can usually refund you the portion of the prorated value due to you upon cancellation. Then if you feel you can get a better rate and terms than the loan you currently have, go refinance the vehicle through a local credit union or bank.

I just see it being hard to prove they charged you for something that you didn't sign for and that they refuse to make the changes if they did make a mistake.

Good Luck.

Comment

Also a good way to not get screwed by "warranties" and "extras" is to put money of your own in a savings account and let that be your "warranty". There comes a time when you have to dodge the rip offs and self insure.

Anything sold to you at the dealership that isn't part of the price of the vehicle is designed to make money off of you. They do even better when you roll this garbage into the overall loan.

How many of you guys paid for NITROGEN IN TIRES. LOLOLOL.

Comment

Can you not cancel the warranty? Every vehicle I have bought, I kept it for a couple months to make sure all was good, then ditched it.

Comment

Makes me appreciate my old 2000 F-250 even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Which dealership?

Comment

I’m confused by the statement that it is taking time to find the emailed documents because your wife is busy with work. This seems like a significant issue if you are wanting to sue the dealer but your wife is too busy to find an email from the date of purchase?

Comment

Working...
                                X