No announcement yet.

Outboard experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, picked it up after Powerhead rebuild and the delivery experience was a bit suspect. I will post up details and a review of the shop I used after a few weeks of running.
    For today I kept the rpm low and ran barely on plane for about a half hour. Stopped and let it idle which it did as it should. Starts on the first try. Fingers crossed.
    They did bypass my oil injection and told me to double oil it for a 10 hour break in period and keep rpm under 3K. I’m not thrilled about all that but I know bypassing the oil system is pretty popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It won't hurt anything to bypass the oil system but totally unnecessary on a Merc or a Yamaha. They both have very dependable systems.

Comment

Just an update and info for anyone needing a rebuild shop. I used Charlie's Marine in Greenville. Long haul for me but I have a customer I go see there routinely so at least I can expense the mileage.

Charlie quoted me a nice deal over the phone, a little more than double what I could buy a rebuild kit for. (I had no shop to do the work myself) More importantly, he wasn't months long wait time. When I dropped it off he was not there due to some medical event but I spoke with his son. Got text progress updates from the son too which was nice.

Pickup day is where it got sketchy. Charlie was not there but was coming in, then no little Charlie was coming back from lunch in a few minutes, then no he was at the hospital with his dad. Ok, took delivery from the shop hand who didn't seem to know much of what had taken place. He said they had run it for about 30 minutes and all was good. They had drained my gas tank saying water in the tank was the cause of the damage. All new hoses and bulb. Hand said he filled the tank for me. Ok, did you fill the oil tank? Answer was no.

Ok, so I hit Buccees for some ethanol-free on the ride home. Put 20 gallons in a 27 gallon tank so no, he didn't fill it. Got home and get the cups out, took the cover off the engine and see that they deleted my oil injection completely. Called little Charlie and he says yeah, they don't warranty a rebuild without bypassing the oiler. Ugh, I don't agree with that and would like to have known before hand but I understand that is pretty common. Ok, so did you add oil to the 7 gallons in the tank? Hours later shop hand finally comes back and says no but the test running was all done on their test tank. Geesh, I could have just gone to the lake and burnt up my engine. Told me to double the oil for the first 10 hours and keep the rpm low for break in which I did.

Overall I'm happy with the deal I got. Manually adding oil is a pain but the boat is running great. I can get it started on the first try every time (will see what cold weather does to that) and it idles great. Plenty of power for hole shots and cruises easy at 35mph. I just wish the communication had been better at the end. Small business keeping overhead low and I'll accept that they had some extenuating circumstances that day. I'd refer them to anyone who is somewhat knowledgeable regarding mechanic work. Like I said, if I had not been on top of things I could have easily just accepted that the boat was ready to run and I'd have burnt it up.
        Last edited by TexaRican; 08-10-2022, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Good to hear and hope that motor runs forever. On a side note, I've never seen the oiling system on a merc or a Yamaha fail and I have never bypassed them. Very dependable system. If it was mine I'd hook it back up.
          Last edited by Walker; 08-10-2022, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Good to hear and hope that motor runs forever. On a side note, I've never seen the oiling system on a merc or a Yamaha fail and I have never bypassed them. Very dependable system. If it was mine I'd hook it back up.
            Well they kept the dang upper tank and hoses. I wasn't driving back there anytime soon and they probably tossed it all. If they would have just simply unplugged it I'd have reinstalled by now.

Comment

Understood

Comment

Glad you got it running again. Oil mix vs pump is a preference. Mine 1998 merc is deleted and I like the peace of mind. Usually it's the injectors that fail. Need to have those tested regularly even if the pump is deleted. I have mine tested every two years when I do the LU oil and water pump changed.

Comment

after having two Evinrude motors smoked because of the oil inject systems back in the 80s, I bypass my new ones too. Mixing oil/ gas makes me sleep better

Comment

My dad bought a brand new 1977 Mercury 150 hp in-line 6, long before automatic oiling systems. Those things were notorious for burning up either cylinder 1, 3 or 5. One of my dad's best friends was an outboard mechanic and he recommended to run a pint of oil per 5.5 gallons of gas instead of per 6 gallons of gas. We ran that boat for about 20 years and Richard said it was the only in line 6 Mercury that he knew of that never dropped cylinder 1, 3 or 5. He later became the top mechanic working directly for Mercury.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good to hear you gotter run-n!

Comment

Good deal

Comment

P

Comment

Glad you got it going

Comment

Working...
                            X