No announcement yet.

Outboard experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought. How much warm up time are you giving it before gear engagement? This colder weather and water sometimes takes the older motors a little time to warm up before engaging gear. I had an older Evinrude that would do the same thing, die when cold after shifting into gear in the colder months. But once it got warmed up good, it was all good.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
      Some fuel lines have a liner in them that can collapse over time from ethanol. I was nearly left stranded once because of this. Motor would just get enough fuel to run about 1/4 throttle, then quit if you tried to throttle it up. Let it sit a few minutes and it would start right back up and run. As long as the speed was kept low.
      This happened to me

Comment

The tach should get its signal from the rectifier which may or may not be a separate component.

Comment

There are two voltage regulators and both have a gray wire coming out for the tach. Top on is connected. I tried the bottom one and no-go. Verified tach is getting voltage so I jumped a new wire in for the signal straight to the tach and tried both regulators. Nada. Guess it could be a bad tach or two bad regulators but at $250 each for OEM I’m not ready to try new ones and am fearful of the cheap Amazon ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck! Not gonna be the fuel pump. Cracked that dude open and was shocked. Looks like factory new. Not even a speck of dirt in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              Just a thought. How much warm up time are you giving it before gear engagement? This colder weather and water sometimes takes the older motors a little time to warm up before engaging gear. I had an older Evinrude that would do the same thing, die when cold after shifting into gear in the colder months. But once it got warmed up good, it was all good.

Yep, I got a cranky teenager that takes a long time to get up in the morning.
              Put the fuel pump back on this morning and the one thing I did notice is the old gasket between the pump and engine block was torn but it had not been leaking so may have just happened when I pulled the pump.
              I let it run at 1/4 throttle for 10 minutes or so while I farted with my lift cables. Then let sit at true idle for another 5 minutes. Shift to neutral and it stumbles until I give it some throttle.
              Lake was like glass but I was short on time today. Hole shots are great and it ran fine on plane for my little 10 minute test run. Didn’t push it hard I do get some prop slipping when making a big turn on plane. Not sure what that’s all about.
              I do see a little burn indication on the gray wire on my top regulator. Found the quicksilver for $189 and CDI for $130. They look identical and CDI had good reviews so I’m tempted. Probably right out of the same Chinese factory.

Comment

I remember that mine also had tach problems. Definitely sounds like a regulator problem. I probably did no go aftermarket. My merc is like family. Bought new in 96.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                  I remember that mine also had tach problems. Definitely sounds like a regulator problem. I probably did no go aftermarket. My merc is like family. Bought new in 96.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yeah after sleeping on it I didn’t cheap out. Ordered OEM and also found a Miranda new service manual off eBay.

Comment

Replace fuel line and ball and vent line. Any black fuel related hose.

Comment

I’m no outboard expert, however we had a 1998 merc 135 that would starve and run rich. Turned out to be an easy fix, replaced the fuel line primer bulb and then ran perfect. Previous bulb seemed fine, would firm up when primed. Something was wrong with it, pin hole, don’t know for sure. Replacement bulb fixed the problem. Just a thought, you might have already tried this. Good luck

Comment

Outboards can be a pain...

Comment

Buddy got a nice package deal on 2 boats with titles today. One has a tandem trailer that should work for my boat! Now I just need to find a smaller trailer to swap him so he can flip those boats.

Comment

Finally got it home. New voltage regulators. New water pump. What the heck is this popping exhaust now?

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Can't see or hear the video but some 2 strokes out of the water do "pop." Put it in a barrel and see if you can hear it. Does your tach work now?

Comment

No tach. Also not sitting level since my driveway is so slanted. Gonna jack it up level to change a tire anyway and see if that helps. Then try a barrel.

Comment

Working...
                                X