No announcement yet.

Ford or GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm the Service manager at Planet Ford 635 some of the 7.3's had issues when they first came out but pretty solid motor we dont work on many now .

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      I'd agree once you add different tires,lift etc. However, work supplied GM and personal ford are pretty accurate. Like I said I did the math on our 7.3 to Mexico and back and it matched the computer.

I did the work truck cause I thought there was no way a 1/2 ton 4x4 with a camper and a 5.3 would average 14. The 6.2 we had was better than that.

In the end if mileage is your concern with a 3/4 anything tow vehicle, you might as well stick with a John boat and a tent

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      Couldn't agree more lol

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        I've been happy with the 7.3 gas 250 we bought. Pulling the travel trailer, tractor or boat.

I wish it got the mileage these guys are posting. I ran it to Mexico and back the other day. Cruise set on 75 and got 15. The 6.7 is getting almost 20 doin that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
        Not sure if the 6.7 gets 20, but I've heard that quite a bit. Lets do some quick breakeven math on the increased initial cost of the diesel to see how many miles it takes to account for ~$8,000 increased cost. This breakeven doesn't include increase maintenance costs of the 6.7.

7.3L - 75mph/15mpg = 5gal/hr * $2.53(price at my local corner store for gas) = $12.65 / hr

6.7L - 75mph/20mpg = 3.75gal/hr * $2.93(price at my local corner store) = $10.99/hr

Delta = $12.65/hr - $10.99/hr = $1.66/hr

Diesel additional cost $10,495 (6.7L cost) - $2,045 (7.3L cost) = $8,450

Breakeven hours = $8,450 / $1.66 = 5,090 hours

Now, going 75mph
        Breakeven miles = 75mph*5,090 hours = 381,777 miles @ 75mph

So you would need to keep the 7.3L 381,777 miles just to break even with the additional initial cost of the diesel. If you add in the additional cost of oil changes and other potential maintenance that number goes way up. For me, this was one of the biggest reasons I didn't go with the 6.7.

Comment

Buy what you like if its your wheelhouse and your budget!
          The fact is, all vehicles are depreciating assets so its best to just consider that cost gone with the wind. I like my assets to go up in value not down, so I look at vehicles as the cost of life and roll on.
          If I tried to justify the cost of vehicles I would be walking, or at the least would not be in a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
            That's my picture . I've never hand calculated because I like what I see[emoji1787]. But I will do it I don't think it will be to much difference.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
            Be sure and take your shoes off when you start to cipher

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
            Not sure if the 6.7 gets 20, but I've heard that quite a bit. Lets do some quick breakeven math on the increased initial cost of the diesel to see how many miles it takes to account for ~$8,000 increased cost. This breakeven doesn't include increase maintenance costs of the 6.7.

7.3L - 75mph/15mpg = 5gal/hr * $2.53(price at my local corner store for gas) = $12.65 / hr

6.7L - 75mph/20mpg = 3.75gal/hr * $2.93(price at my local corner store) = $10.99/hr

Now, going 75mph

So you would need to keep the 7.3L 381,777 miles just to break even with the additional initial cost of the diesel. If you add in the additional cost of oil changes and other potential maintenance that number goes way up. For me, this was one of the biggest reasons I didn't go with the 6.7.
            I dont math much over making sure a limit of fish is or aint in the cooler. But that looks good to me

Comment

Stxhunter-
              I think the engines in that last paragraph are transposed.

Comment

Now, going 75mph

I'm almost even then!
                I bought the diesel for longevity and towing. Mpg is nice if you're getting it but it ain't the reason to buy a diesel

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                Last edited by rolylane6; 12-16-2021, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Folks buying a 3/4 ton pickup worrying about fuel mileage

Comment

Originally posted by Youngblood View Post
                    That’s a beautiful color that should hide dirt better than my blacked out truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    My F250 is black. Good lord I’ll never buy black again

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                      I'm almost even then!
                      I bought the diesel for longevity and towing. Mpg is nice if you're getting it but it ain't the reason to buy a diesel

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                      If you’re gonna lift the truck and put 37s on it. Diesel is the only way to go at that point IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post

LOL! Understood. Me either.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                          Get it wrapped. My Hellcat was black, kept it balck for about 6 minutes before I realized black wouldn't work for me. Got it wrapped in blue.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            Get it wrapped. My Hellcat was black, kept it balck for about 6 minutes before I realized black wouldn't work for me. Got it wrapped in blue.

That’s an idea but I’d go Silver.

Comment

Ford or GM

Now, going 75mph

If you’re going to live your life by a calculator, then don’t buy a truck, boat, or travel trailer.

You can also write off women, kids, hunting, and fishing!

Last edited by Dale Moser; 12-16-2021, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                If you’re going to live your life by a calculator, then don’t buy a truck, boat, or travel trailer…

THIS!!! LOL!
                                And include hunting & fishing. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X